G4 is really growing on me

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Well it's been some time with the G4 now, I had been using a 6+, the spent a month with an S6 and read so much abut the G4 and missed the larger screen I returned the S6 and got the G4.

I must admit, it's not a perfect device, and at first really missed the S6 and doubted myself and had regrets abut my exchange, but the more I use this phone it's starting to click.

I have my peeves for sure., but over all I have adjusted to the size of the phone again after getting used to the S6 smaller size, battery has been acceptable and to my surprise, I had ordered a cheap QI circle case for my AT&T G4 which I was told only does PMA, and to my surprise it easily does QI.

I purchased a Verizon tempered glass which is such an exact fit it's amazing, zero tolerance and extra space, no bubbles etc.

I also purchased an Aukey quick charge wall adapter which is working well.

It's odd, at first I was like meh, it's ok, not great, but it's really growing me the more I use it.

The most surprising thing is that today I even decided to turn off Nova Prime and go back to stock since it seems to preform really well, I turned on GPU monitor and it actually runs really well, so this is a pleasant surprise.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but hey, even the G4 can get a little praise once in a while instead of just complaints (which I definitely have).

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimgravy

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Greetings!
I am still rocking a G3 that's rooted and keep comparing it's overall function to my wife's G4. In side by side comparisons of the camera, G4 hands down, I'm envious! Contrast and brightness in the G4 also smacks down the G3... I am not seeing any difference in lag (I use Nova launcher, the LG stock launcher is what I technically refer to as goofy) and I was able to delete all the bloatware so I still prefer my rooted G3. I don't know if one click root is available yet for the G4, and until it is, I am satisfied with my current setup. LG has stepped up their game, they just need to incorporate front facing speakers.

Posted via the Android Central App

enhill73

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I like my G4 very much.it works well for 2 month

Does yours get really hot when you use it for like 5-8 minutes straight? Like using Chrome, other apps etc? Trying to figure out if everyone's does this or I have a bad one. I'm actually on my 3rd G4 because all of them have done this. When I use Twitter, Instagram or Chrome for upwards of 5 minutes the top 1/3 of the phone gets really hot. Thank you for your help.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Does yours get really hot when you use it for like 5-8 minutes straight? Like using Chrome, other apps etc? Trying to figure out if everyone's does this or I have a bad one. I'm actually on my 3rd G4 because all of them have done this. When I use Twitter, Instagram or Chrome for upwards of 5 minutes the top 1/3 of the phone gets really hot. Thank you for your help.

There are few other threads about heat issues; please look through them to see if there's anything that may help you.

Without making you read through all the other heat threads, here are my hints:

I have to say, though, that if you're on your 3rd G4 and they all run too hot for you... then I'd say it's time to do one of the following: a) move on to another phone... it's OK, you're allowed!, b) accept that the phone runs hot, but that it's something you can live with.

enhill73

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
There are few other threads about heat issues; please look through them to see if there's anything that may help you.

Without making you read through all the other heat threads, here are my hints:

I have to say, though, that if you're on your 3rd G4 and they all run too hot for you... then I'd say it's time to do one of the following: a) move on to another phone... it's OK, you're allowed!, b) accept that the phone runs hot, but that it's something you can live with.

Yes, I've seen them and started one myself. My question to him was if he was having the same issue. I ask because I've looked around and there is only a small amount of people having this issue it seems. The review from this very website doesn't mention anything about it. Droid life didn't, and the 15+ YouTube reviews from various tech channels didn't mention it as well. I'm sure these people put it thru the pace and I would feel like if this was happening that they would say something about it. At least if they are experiencing the same thing I am I would think they would. I did my homework before buying this phone and this is what's throwing me off. If everyone is having the same issue and it doesn't bother them then that's one thing, but it doesn't seem that way to me. So I'm trying to get the input of other G4 owners before I decide to give it up. I love the phone other than that, but it's a big deal to me.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I've seen them and started one myself. My question to him was if he was having the same issue. I ask because I've looked around and there is only a small amount of people having this issue it seems. The review from this very website doesn't mention anything about it. Droid life didn't, and the 15+ YouTube reviews from various tech channels didn't mention it as well. I'm sure these people put it thru the pace and I would feel like if this was happening that they would say something about it. At least if they are experiencing the same thing I am I would think they would. I did my homework before buying this phone and this is what's throwing me off. If everyone is having the same issue and it doesn't bother them then that's one thing, but it doesn't seem that way to me. So I'm trying to get the input of other G4 owners before I decide to give it up. I love the phone other than that, but it's a big deal to me.

There are some possibilities about why others are not mentioning this issue:

• Ambient temperature plays a big part in this. I'm guessing that the screen will feel up to 30 degrees F higher than the ambient temperature when it's at 100% and the processor is going strong. As such, if the tester is using it indoors or in the shade, they wouldn't likely notice too much heat.
  • My own experience is that when I was using my phone with just the leather back and no case the phone felt cooler... I didn't do temperature tests, but I suspect that that is the case when you compare that usage to instead using a plastic back and a decent case (Spigen is what I use.)
  • Depending on what phone you come from, you may or may not feel the temperature to be too hot, i.e. it's subjective to say that the phone is running too hot. My Note2 was hot, although not this hot (it was hot at the back of the phone case, but not the screen), but a) it didn't run nearly as fast, and b) it's screen wasn't nearly as powerful in terms of brightness and resolution -- so although I find that it sometimes runs very hot (such as today when I used on my hot vehicle's dash for traffic navigation help) I'm not really that disturbed by it.

Anyways, install GSam (if you haven't already done so) and track the battery temperature during various things that you can do to possibly alter the situation such as clearing running apps, using it in cooler ambient temperature, turning down screen brightness (try Lux if haven't already done so), turning off location history & services, etc., and then see if you can spot more precisely what circumstances make it run hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci