Google Photos users?

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
I've been having an issue with Google Photos and I'm trying to pinpoint what in the world is going on.

When I delete a photo from 'Photos', it is supposed to delete from everywhere. It used to take a few minutes to remove from 'Device folders' but it eventually did. On my Nexus 4, it's almost instant, so this threw me off at first. Then I noticed while it removed it from 'Device folders', I actually could still see it in the DCIM/Cameras folder via a file manager. I checked with the Nexus 4, it was gone from the Cameras folder. When I reboot, it shows up again in 'Photos' and 'Device folders'. I'll delete from 'Photos' again but it seems to never go away from 'Device folders'

I've tried uninstalling Photos, G+ (or, at least as much as the G4 will let me), and of course restarting between all this, and going down to no mSD card installed, but it seems to happen across the board, and inconsistently. Sometimes I get the above. Sometimes the photos stay in 'Device folders' and never are removed until I explicitly do so. Hell, one time, it said it couldn't delete and would not delete from withing Google Photos until I rebooted.

It's been suggested that photos are in the trash still, but I was under the impressing the trash was just for the uploaded copy. But this behavior is completely different from my Nexus 4, where when you delete from 'Photos', only the online version is in the trash, and it is removed from the device almost immediately.

I feel like I'm the only one having this odd issue. Which means the one thing I haven't done, which is wipe the phone, may have to be done.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
From what I can tell, when you delete photos from the photos app, it only automatically deletes photos that were taken from the camera. When I delete from the photos app, the pictures that were taken from my phone are deleted instantly. Folders that I'm syncing to Google photos like from messenger don't delete from my device folders when I delete from the photos app.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been having an issue with Google Photos and I'm trying to pinpoint what in the world is going on.

When I delete a photo from 'Photos', it is supposed to delete from everywhere. It used to take a few minutes to remove from 'Device folders' but it eventually did. On my Nexus 4, it's almost instant, so this threw me off at first. Then I noticed while it removed it from 'Device folders', I actually could still see it in the DCIM/Cameras folder via a file manager. I checked with the Nexus 4, it was gone from the Cameras folder. When I reboot, it shows up again in 'Photos' and 'Device folders'. I'll delete from 'Photos' again but it seems to never go away from 'Device folders'

I've tried uninstalling Photos, G+ (or, at least as much as the G4 will let me), and of course restarting between all this, and going down to no mSD card installed, but it seems to happen across the board, and inconsistently. Sometimes I get the above. Sometimes the photos stay in 'Device folders' and never are removed until I explicitly do so. Hell, one time, it said it couldn't delete and would not delete from withing Google Photos until I rebooted.

It's been suggested that photos are in the trash still, but I was under the impressing the trash was just for the uploaded copy. But this behavior is completely different from my Nexus 4, where when you delete from 'Photos', only the online version is in the trash, and it is removed from the device almost immediately.

I feel like I'm the only one having this odd issue. Which means the one thing I haven't done, which is wipe the phone, may have to be done.

Ok I took some photos on my G4 , I saw the photos were on the G4 Galley Photo App. Then I turned on backup on the Google Photo App.
Once the backup was complete I then deleted the photos out of Google Photo App. I then checked the G4 Galley App and they were gone from there as well. Also on the G4 the were gone from the file manager(image)
I looked in the trash of the Google Photo App and they were still in the trash.
I confirmed that on my Nexus 6 that the photos I took with the G4 were in the trash in the Google Photo App on that phone too ,,they were.
I did notice when I was in a weak signal area the photos had a slight delay in deleting the photo from the LG Galley App.But they did delete.
I don't really load any photos to G+ so can't comment on that.

Edit: I don't have a sd card in the LG

Last edited:

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
Thanks, definitely sounds like something on my end. Or just a buggy Google Photos (seen some folks say the manual controls disappearing may be related to Google Photos, but I haven't consistently had that problem).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech