Does your Wifi search for networks every 10 seconds?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to get to the bottom of my high Android System usage (currently 60%), and noticed that if I go into settings>wifi, I can see that my phone is searching for wifi networks every 10 seconds (it shows up in the gray bar near the top that says "WI-FI NETWORKS"). If I go to menu>advanced wifi I have everything un-checked, including "allow Wi-Fi scanning." I would think this would prevent the phone's wifi from constantly searching, but apparently not.

Is anyone else's phone constantly scanning?

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does you Wifi search for networks every 10 seconds?

This is a normal function (Most phones do this). I don't think that is the cause of your problems.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

This is a normal function (Most phones do this). I don't think that is the cause of your problems.

I guess that's good, meaning it's not something broken, but it seems pretty odd with "Allow Wi-Fi scanning" turned off that it still searches for networks every 10 seconds. Are others that have good battery life seeing this same amount of scanning as well?

vapore0n

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

If you are on Sprint, it could be that connection optimizer BS they include. Even when disabled it still goes and searches for wifi connections.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to get to the bottom of my high Android System usage (currently 60%), and noticed that if I go into settings>wifi, I can see that my phone is searching for wifi networks every 10 seconds (it shows up in the gray bar near the top that says "WI-FI NETWORKS"). If I go to menu>advanced wifi I have everything un-checked, including "allow Wi-Fi scanning." I would think this would prevent the phone's wifi from constantly searching, but apparently not.

Is anyone else's phone constantly scanning?

How about your location mode setting?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I guess that's good, meaning it's not something broken, but it seems pretty odd with "Allow Wi-Fi scanning" turned off that it still searches for networks every 10 seconds. Are others that have good battery life seeing this same amount of scanning as well?

The "Allow Wi-Fi Scanning" is different. That allows the wifi to be turned on for Google to gather information about the WiFi networks around you even if you have wifi shut off.

You're experiencing a normal wifi search by your phone while wifi is on. This is how it knows to connect to the wifi network that you want.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
How about your location mode setting?

I do have high accuracy turned on, but that's because I use Maps (for navigation) all the time, as well as a running app (RunKeeper) because I run about 50 miles per week and need the accuracy for mapping data as well as distance/pace.

Having said that, I don't see where GPS accuracy would have anything to do with my WiFi scanning for networks every 10 seconds after I told it not to scan for networks (and then rebooted).

But here's what's really weird. This morning after unplugging, I turned WiFi off. Now after 6.5 hours, I have 70% of my battery left, having used 48 minutes of SOT, and only 19% Android System usage (normally it ranges from 35% to 60%). That's unbelievably good for my device! Sooooo...why is WiFi kicking off ridiculous amounts of Android System usage, harshly draining my battery, and how do I go about troubleshooting/fixing that? Being on a Verizon shared 3GB of data (with my wife), I need to be able to use WiFi when at home and the office.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

The "Allow Wi-Fi Scanning" is different. That allows the wifi to be turned on for Google to gather information about the WiFi networks around you even if you have wifi shut off.

You're experiencing a normal wifi search by your phone while wifi is on. This is how it knows to connect to the wifi network that you want.

I can completely except that that's how WiFi works and all is well in those regards, but here's what I just told sswitzer in an earlier post...

"But here's what's really weird. This morning after unplugging, I turned WiFi off. Now after 6.5 hours, I have 70% of my battery left, having used 48 minutes of SOT, and only 19% Android System usage (normally it ranges from 35% to 60%). That's unbelievably good for my device! Sooooo...why is WiFi kicking off ridiculous amounts of Android System usage, harshly draining my battery, and how do I go about troubleshooting/fixing that? Being on a Verizon shared 3GB of data (with my wife), I need to be able to use WiFi when at home and the office."

What do you make of that?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I can completely except that that's how WiFi works and all is well in those regards, but here's what I just told sswitzer in an earlier post...

"But here's what's really weird. This morning after unplugging, I turned WiFi off. Now after 6.5 hours, I have 70% of my battery left, having used 48 minutes of SOT, and only 19% Android System usage (normally it ranges from 35% to 60%). That's unbelievably good for my device! Sooooo...why is WiFi kicking off ridiculous amounts of Android System usage, harshly draining my battery, and how do I go about troubleshooting/fixing that? Being on a Verizon shared 3GB of data (with my wife), I need to be able to use WiFi when at home and the office."

What do you make of that?

Hm that is odd .. It definitely shouldn't be using that much power. Could you post some shots of your battery stats? Also do you use any other apps like GSam to help monitor the battery?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Hm that is odd .. It definitely shouldn't be using that much power. Could you post some shots of your battery stats? Also do you use any other apps like GSam to help monitor the battery?

I do use GSam, and can post some battery stat pictures in a day or two. I'm going to leave WiFi off for a couple of days to verify that my battery continues to run great without it. Before I can get any images, I'll have to turn it back on and let it run for the day. But honestly, I don't know what there is to see...everything looks normal except that Android System is eating 35% to 60% of my battery, and it's almost dead after about 6 to 8 hours with less than 1 hour SOT. Every other up app shows up with minimal usage. I'll get some images up on Wednesday.

In the mean time, if anyone has any ideas why my WiFi is eating up my battery, or any way I can test something out, let me know.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Depending on your usage requirements, you could set WiFi to only be enabled when the screen is on.

Settings, WiFi, hit the 3 dots, Advanced WiFi, then uncheck "Keep WiFi on when screen is off".