Root method released! TMO/VZW/INTL

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
http://forum.xda-developers.com/sho... soon!) Root your LG G4 with Low Effort Root!

Obviously I take no credit, just passing the info on...

G4'ed it!

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Only part about this that raises an eyebrow to me is the ~4GB part.

I'm yet to feel the need to pop in my free SD card but maybe...

Posted via the Android Central App

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I am thinking about holding off for a bit to see if a more refined method is achieved.
Although, these friggin ads ARE driving me batty LOL

G4'ed it!

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to wait for the Sprint variant root show up later today or tomorrow but I think I will still wait a little bit and see what the guy in the other root thread that has the Korean versions done brings to the table. His way should work for all carriers as well and I believe it's a different exploit.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It looks like they'll be working on an easy method for Users to root. I'd suggest keeping the KDZ files on hand just in case something goes wrong and you need to restore.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I haven't rooted a phone since leaving Sprint 3 years ago and moving to Verizon (VZW seems awfully protective about their bootloaders, lol). Now that I'm back to Sprint, and rocking the G4, it's good to hear that there seems to be solid advances occurring on this platform. I remember the days of installing ROMs several times a month on my old EVO. It sure would be nice to a simple root and ROM process for the G4, although I have to admit, I don't have any real complaints about the OS "as-is" (modified with Nova Prime) However, getting rid of some of the baked in bloat would be nice, and it's always fun trying different ROMs that implement fresh ideas.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of reasons to root without installing ROMs. Freezing or uninstalling bloat, as you've mentioned, for starters. Also there's having a fully functional Greenify, all apps enabled for dual window, then, one of my personal favorites, having my phone automatically switch GPS high accuracy on/off based on which app I'm using, and then any number of apps that require root that add some functionality to your phone.

I have my G3 handy if I ever want to play with ROMs, but I legitimately like the LG UI so I'm keeping this on my phone and I'm glad we now have root so I can fine tune my phone.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of reasons to root without installing ROMs. Freezing or uninstalling bloat, as you've mentioned, for starters. Also there's having a fully functional Greenify, all apps enabled for dual window, then, one of my personal favorites, having my phone automatically switch GPS high accuracy on/off based on which app I'm using, and then any number of apps that require root that add some functionality to your phone.

I have my G3 handy if I ever want to play with ROMs, but I legitimately like the LG UI so I'm keeping this on my phone and I'm glad we now have root so I can fine tune my phone.

Your point is well taken.

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

I'm interested to know how you get the gps mode to switch automatically when rooted?

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested to know how you get the gps mode to switch automatically when rooted?

A combination of two apps. Llama and Secure Settings. Alternatively, you could use something like Tasker instead of Llama, but Llama is super easy to use. I'd you use the Smart Settings feature on your phone, just stop now and use Llama. You'll thank me.

In Llama, you'll make a rule that's basically saying "if this app is running, then run the Secure Settings plug in to change the location mode to high accuracy." Then you'll make another rule (mine is on a delay of ten minutes after exiting the above indicated app before executing), "if this app is not running, then run the Secure Settings plug in to change the location mode to battery saving."

Secure Settings is required to change GPS state (it needs root) and Llama is just awesome for a ton of other things without needing root (turns my wifi on when I get home, off when I leave for example).

One more thing, you'll need to download the most current Llama apk from the developer's website (don't have the link handy). Play Store version isn't the most updated version for whatever reason. With Lollipop, Google changed permissions which allowed apps to see which apps were running in the foreground and now you have to explicitly give apps permission to see when other apps are running (from settings > security > app usage access).

Or use Tasker. Tasker has active development unlike Llama. I use Llama, though, because it's simple and does everything I need.

dandro man

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
i am new here, i cant find a way to start new thread are make new post.. but i would like to know how can i turn on android debugging using adb.
i wanted to wipe my device by using adb because when in recovery mode there is no menu just a pic with caution sign and no other function can be carried out, my device is stuck in boot loop so i cant get in to root or turn on debugging so i need help in doing so by using adb if possible or any other way. please help!!!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm this works for the T-Mobile version. I would definitely recommend a factory reset after the process. My G4 was acting a little screwy after the process but all was fixed after the reset.

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I had told myself I was going to wait for a more simple method, but gave in. All seems to be working fine and once it's finished you can actually delete the 4gb+ file you have to put in your internal storage.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I had told myself I was going to wait for a more simple method, but gave in. All seems to be working fine and once it's finished you can actually delete the 4gb+ file you have to put in your internal storage.

I scared... :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke