Does wireless charging work with a case?

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I bought an inexpensive case for my G4 to protect it while on vacation, but think I might keep it even with a free leather one coming from the LG promo...I like the added protection and great grip. It' reminds me of a slightly hard piece of rubber, but not too thick. Will one of the wireless charging "stickers" they make for the stock shell work through case, or does that insulate it? Do docks trash your phone bottom and the micro USB port?

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I bought an inexpensive case for my G4 to protect it while on vacation, but think I might keep it even with a free leather one coming from the LG promo...I like the added protection and great grip. It' reminds me of a slightly hard piece of rubber, but not too thick. Will one of the wireless charging "stickers" they make for the stock shell work through case, or does that insulate it? Do docks trash your phone bottom and the micro USB port?
If you have a reliable QI charging system in place, it will work with almost any (non metal) case. However, I had a bad experience with the charging stickers, so based on my personal experience, my Magic 8 Ball says "Cannot predict now".

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
If you have a reliable QI charging system in place, it will work with almost any (non metal) case. However, I had a bad experience with the charging stickers, so based on my personal experience, my Magic 8 Ball says "Cannot predict now".

I have no investment in anything yet. I don't use my phone at night, so thought it would be nice to plop it on a charging pad overnight rather than messsing with the USB plug.

mylgt1

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I had the qi sticker on my old G3 and it worked with a Spigen slim armour case and that was decently thick, so it should be same for G4. I was using an itan three coil charger from ebay

Posted via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I have no investment in anything yet. I don't use my phone at night, so thought it would be nice to plop it on a charging pad overnight rather than messsing with the USB plug.
I've ordered another charging sticker. The one I got was not the one recommended by another forum member (don't know how I picked the cheaper alternative). I'll let you know if it works reliably. It's this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4577384

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
My experience with the Samsung S4 was that the thickness of the case did make a difference.

The official Samsung Qi back made your phone thicker than normal, and the Diztronic case was one of the few that would stretch to get around it. But it was still thin enough to allow me to charge it wirelessly.

But if I tried to wedge the S4 into my Seido waterproof case, it was a no go on the wireless charging.

There are probably a lot of factors involved here, so your mileage may vary-- just know that the thicker your case, the more likely it is that it will fail. But until you try it out, you probably won't know for certain.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've ordered another charging sticker. The one I got was not the one recommended by another forum member (don't know how I picked the cheaper alternative). I'll let you know if it works reliably. It's this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4581086

Let us know how it goes. Does it affect reliability of the phone or the warranty?
I got this today. It was shipped super fast. That's the good news. The bad news, is that -- initially -- I was actually experiencing worse problems than with the first product. My TYLT wasn't recognizing the damned QI sticker. I'm embarrassed at how many times I repositioned the stupid sticker trying to get the it "just right", because at this point I was convinced it was "me". Now I'm not a smartphone technician, but I am a Systems Engineer, and very technically oriented (sorry; not trying to put on airs, just don't want to be confused with a dumb-arse), but knowing others had been successful, I know it HAS to work, right!?

Ultimately, it turned out that the sticker did work with my TYLT horizontally, but not vertically. Now this is weird because once i figured this out, I put it on my Nokia 900, and it works perfectly in the intended position, which would be "vertical" as compared to the TYLT's physical profile. NOW, once I figured that out, I was able to get the TYLT to work even vertically, if I moved the phone a good bit left or right --- but that's unacceptable, since you can't be sure it will "hold" that charge position reliably.

Okay, my griping is over regarding vertical operation on the TYLT. It works perfectly on the Nokia 900, and it seems to work just fine on the TYLT, so long as I mount it horizontally. I wonder how much of this is related to the curvature of the phone back? This will work fine for me at work because I use USB tethering, and "horizontal, is the position the phone will be in anyway. I'd prefer the phone to be vertical when at my desk on the TYLT at home, but I guess I'll just have to live with horizontal.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I got this today. It was shipped super fast. That's the good news. The bad news, is that -- initially -- I was actually experiencing worse problems than with the first product. My TYLT wasn't recognizing the damned QI sticker. I'm embarrassed at how many times I repositioned the stupid sticker trying to get the it "just right", because at this point I was convinced it was "me". Now I'm not a smartphone technician, but I am a Systems Engineer, and very technically oriented (sorry; not trying to put on airs, just don't want to be confused with a dumb-arse), but knowing others had been successful, I know it HAS to work, right!?

Ultimately, it turned out that the sticker did work with my TYLT horizontally, but not vertically. Now this is weird because once i figured this out, I put it on my Nokia 900, and it works perfectly in the intended position, which would be "vertical" as compared to the TYLT's physical profile. NOW, once I figured that out, I was able to get the TYLT to work even vertically, if I moved the phone a good bit left or right --- but that's unacceptable, since you can't be sure it will "hold" that charge position reliably.

Okay, my griping is over regarding vertical operation on the TYLT. It works perfectly on the Nokia 900, and it seems to work just fine on the TYLT, so long as I mount it horizontally. I wonder how much of this is related to the curvature of the phone back? This will work fine for me at work because I use USB tethering, and "horizontal, is the position the phone will be in anyway. I'd prefer the phone to be vertical when at my desk on the TYLT at home, but I guess I'll just have to live with horizontal.
At least you figured out the little idiosyncrasy of the picky sticker...I probably would have thought "It don't work" and never re-positioned it. Weird.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've been wondering is there any real benefit to wireless charging?

If you talk to anyone that works in a cell phone repair shop, they'll tell you that one of the most common items that gets replaced is the usb charging port. I guess it can get out of sorts from a year or 2 of plugging in/out. Wireless charging would prevent that from happening. Never had it happen to any of my phones (I've never used a wireless charger), but it seems possible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084