Picture not saving when exiting Camera app immediately after taking picture

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I tried replicating this, but the camera saves the photo.

That's because, like on sswitzer's unit, mine says "Saving" before the camera app quits.

Screenshot_2015-08-20-21-43-02.jpg

I presume it's a possible bug with carrier-branded units.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for re-testing, D13H4RD2L1V3. I was going to ask for clarification. It needs to be tested under certain conditions, as we figured out, after tourbound129 nailed it down.

The simplest scenario for reproducing this is:
- Camera set to Auto mode (vs Simple or Manual).
- Flash set to On (showing just the lightning bolt icon).
- Take a picture, then immediately after the click and screen "flash", hit the Back button to exit the Camera app. Do this before the thumbnail in the lower-right corner has a chance to update.
- Check the Gallery, and see if the new picture is in there. In my testing, the new picture will not be there.

D13H4RD2L1V3, based on your testing, maybe for some devices, Back must be pressed while the screen "flash" is still happening.

I can reliably make the picture fail to save. I haven't observed it being sensitive to when, exactly, I hit the Back button. I wait for the click and the screen "flash", then I hit Back. The important timing aspect that I've observed is simply hitting Back before the lower-right corner thumbnail has a chance to update.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for re-testing, D13H4RD2L1V3. I was going to ask for clarification. It needs to be tested under certain conditions, as we figured out, after tourbound129 nailed it down.

The simplest scenario for reproducing this is:
- Camera set to Auto mode (vs Simple or Manual).
- Flash set to On (showing just the lightning bolt icon).
- Take a picture, then immediately after the click and screen "flash", hit the Back button to exit the Camera app. Do this before the thumbnail in the lower-right corner has a chance to update.
- Check the Gallery, and see if the new picture is in there. In my testing, the new picture will not be there.

D13H4RD2L1V3, based on your testing, maybe for some devices, Back must be pressed while the screen "flash" is still happening.

I can reliably make the picture fail to save. I haven't observed it being sensitive to when, exactly, I hit the Back button. I wait for the click and the screen "flash", then I hit Back. The important timing aspect that I've observed is simply hitting Back before the lower-right corner thumbnail has a chance to update.

It's irregular for me, as it happens only when I exit when the screen just begins to flash. If I do so while it flashes, the picture saves.

It's odd and while it's not a biggie for me since I don't use the flash often, I do hope that it can be fixed.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't missed any pictures because I never use flash but it could be an issue for many people who do. They may or may not fix it. I'm sure they know exactly why it's happening.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't read too much into differences in file size. The jpeg algorithm is better at reducing the file size of an image that has less contrast and complexity (try saving a landscape image and an image that contains only a single colour side by side, with the same image size), so you may simply be seeing a slight difference in size because the image taken with flash is brighter, has more contrast, and more detail than the one without.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't read too much into differences in file size. The jpeg algorithm is better at reducing the file size of an image that has less contrast and complexity (try saving a landscape image and an image that contains only a single colour side by side, with the same image size), so you may simply be seeing a slight difference in size because the image taken with flash is brighter, has more contrast, and more detail than the one without.

Well I'm not now. 3 weeks ago in the middle of testing, it was an observation that made sense to me at the time before more testing was done and observations made.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I figured that was the case. I wanted to put that out there for the benefit of others who might be reading this thread.

It looks like a straightforward bug in the application. Let's hope they'll fix it with an update. The camera app has already gone through several iterations since June.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
That's interesting. I'm not aware of any updates to my Camera app (VS986, Verizon, current software of 611A). It still shows a date of 5/8/15, like a lot of original apps on my phone. Version is 4.52.34.4.

caffeinated pants, what model/carrier do you have, and what Camera app version?

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Same results here, though on Verizon version. Do you think it's some kind of power usage thing, i.e. the power to fire the flash causes the phone to have to "catch up" to save the photo? Can't imagine the little LED uses much juice but just trying to think of a logical reason.

Now that we've determined it only happens under certain conditions (mine saves properly if using the flash in Manual mode, and exiting immediately), my opinion is it's simply a software bug. Power-related aspects seem unlikely to me, as an LED "flash" (really just a light) is merely on or off, but does not have to recharge the way that a capacitor-based flash does, on a normal camera.

And I have lost pictures to this, that's how I noticed this was happening. Taking a quick picture indoors, where the camera needed the flash, then exiting the app too soon.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I have the H815 (unlocked, no US carrier). As far as I can tell, the camera app is baked into the LG firmware and was updated every time LG pushed a new ROM to my phone. I started on V10a-EUR-xx and am now on V10c, so there were two updates to the camera app so far since June.

The current version on my phone is 4.52.34.10, so it's not the exact same version that you have.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol