Can Tasker change my GPS settings without root?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm finding my GPS settings have a significant impact on my battery life, with High Accuracy draining it too aggressively and Battery Saver Mode not working for navigation or my running app (RunKeeper). Can Tasker be set up to change my GPS settings to High Accuracy when I launch either one of those two apps, then back to Battery Saver when I close them without having rooted my phone?

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
In the thread on here that announced the root there was someone explaining to me how to get the gps to switch modes with another app. I haven't tried it yet but just a heads up if you wanna check it out. Llama was the app with secure settings plugin installed. But yeah you need root either way I'm pretty sure.

Posted via the Android Central App

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
In the thread on here that announced the root there was someone explaining to me how to get the gps to switch modes with another app. I haven't tried it yet but just a heads up if you wanna check it out. Llama was the app with secure settings plugin installed. But yeah you need root either way I'm pretty sure.

Posted via the Android Central App
It was probably me.

You have to have root in order to have your phone automatically change GPS and it's through the Secure Settings app in conjuction with an app like Tasker or Llama. I prefer Llama because it's really easy to use and I don't have to train myself to use it like you would Tasker.

It's as simple as, "when this app is in the foreground, run the Secure Settings plug in to change location mode to High Accuracy," and, "when this app is in the back round, run the Secure Settings plug in to change location mode to Battery Saving."

My phone is automatically set up to enable High Accuracy mode whenever I use certain specified apps and, after leaving those apps, I have it set for a ten minute delay to switch my phone back to Battery Saving.

uploadfromtaptalk1438538521187.jpg

And before I forget, you need to download the updated Llama apk directly from the developer. For some reason, they haven't updated the Play Store version. A change that came with Lollipop requires that you give individual apps explicitly permission to know which app you have running in the foreground whereas on KitKat, no such permission was needed. The updated Llama apk is here: http://kebabapps.blogspot.com/2014/11/active-app-lollipop-fix.html?m=1

Even after you set it up, Llama will still notify you saying that it can't detect the active app, but that's wrong. It does detect the active app.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Laffinarab

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Ive got a workaround for this. Use autoinput to go to the settings and toggle location. Use Type: Text
Configuration: Location

Also add an if condition so you can control the direction of toggle.

Ie
Turn gps off, if gps = on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2