Need help Chrome PopUp, can only click "ok"

Router12345

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello guys,
Sorry if wrong section, thank you for your time
I just got my G4 recently and I am very new to Android
So when I was surfing the web using Chrome, I bump into a website that show popup ads and only "Ok" option available, so I just keep clicking "ok" and "ok", sometime my phone vibrate and there's few times it also download some file and went to my 'Downloads' apps, but I didn't open/click the files, will my phone got virus or any prob?

Btw, I immediately download file explorer app and delete the files inside the 'Downloads' folder, but the file still exist in 'Downloads' app. What should I do!?

Thank youuu

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys,
So when I was surfing the web using Chrome, I bump into a website that show popup ads and only "Ok" option available, so I just keep clicking "ok" and "ok", sometime my phone vibrate and there's few times it also download some file and went to my 'Downloads' apps, but I didn't open/click the files, will my phone got virus or any prob?

Btw, I immediately download file explorer app and delete the files inside the 'Downloads' folder, but the file still exist in 'Downloads' app. What should I do!?

Thank youuu
Welcome to Android Central!

Perform a factory reset and format the SD card to be safe. In the future, you can use the back buttons to exist out of those pages or force stop chrome.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Malwarebytes makes an Android app. You could download and run it and see if it finds anything.

Other than that, factory reset as was just mentioned.

After that, give up chrome and get #NoChromo for a browser to get rid of ads.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to just open the file manager and delete the files from your download folder. If they are apk installers, by default the G4 is set to NOT install apps from unknown sources, so they shouldn't be able to be installed by accident.

As for the popups, you can use the back button <| to back up out of the popups without having to press ok.

I don't think a factory reset is needed unless you are sure that something actually installed, not just downloaded.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys,

Thank youuu

See post here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/560594-how-do-i-get-rid-adware-g4-s-google-ads.html

Router12345

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

Perform a factory reset and format the SD card to be safe. In the future, you can use the back buttons to exist out of those pages or force stop chrome.

Malwarebytes makes an Android app. You could download and run it and see if it finds anything.

Other than that, factory reset as was just mentioned.

After that, give up chrome and get #NoChromo for a browser to get rid of ads.

You should be able to just open the file manager and delete the files from your download folder. If they are apk installers, by default the G4 is set to NOT install apps from unknown sources, so they shouldn't be able to be installed by accident.

As for the popups, you can use the back button <| to back up out of the popups without having to press ok.

I don't think a factory reset is needed unless you are sure that something actually installed, not just downloaded.

See post here:

Thank you so much for the reply!
Do I really have to factory reset if I don't INSTALL the APK from the 'Download' App ?
After it automatically download the app and went to 'Download' App, I already delete the file using File Explorer inside the 'Download' Folder (in the File Explorer)
Sorry but I have OCD and things like this really makes me paranoid, will my phone have any problem if I Factory Reset too much?
and by SD you mean Micro SD right? formatting it on PC.

Thank you so much for your kindly reply and your time.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Do I really have to factory reset if I don't INSTALL the APK from the 'Download' App ?
After it automatically download the app and went to 'Download' App, I already delete the file using File Explorer inside the 'Download' Folder (in the File Explorer)
Sorry but I have OCD and things like this really makes me paranoid, will my phone have any problem if I Factory Reset too much?

Well, if you feel that something downloaded, and/or if you are having problems with the device, I would strongly suggests a factory reset. Even for the peace of mind. It does take a little while to get setup again, but it's best to be safe rather than sorry in the grand scheme of things.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

You do not have to factory reset your phone if nothing actually got installed. HOWEVER, if you are OCD and will be worrying about this issue from now on, then a factory reset will give you piece of mind. You have to decide whether it's worth it to you :)

Router12345

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Well, if you feel that something downloaded, and/or if you are having problems with the device, I would strongly suggests a factory reset. Even for the peace of mind. It does take a little while to get setup again, but it's best to be safe rather than sorry in the grand scheme of things.

You do not have to factory reset your phone if nothing actually got installed. HOWEVER, if you are OCD and will be worrying about this issue from now on, then a factory reset will give you piece of mind. You have to decide whether it's worth it to you :)

Hello
Thanks for the reply, last question.
What will happen if I Factory Reset too much?
Thanks.

BisterMungle

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
There's a free adblock browser on Play Store that works like a charm if anyone is having this problem. It's not a virus so resets and cleaning your system will not stop it. As far as I know it is generated by certain websites as a means of tricking people into installing Mal ware. It's extremely invasive and if I had access to the persons who created it I would throttle them lol. I haven't been using the adblock browser for long but it seems to work fine and I've accessed a few sites I know contain the offending pop ups with no trouble at all. Hope this helps anyone who runs into this issue.

Posted via the Android Central App