Anyone coming from M9?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyone bought the G4 after having an htc M9?
If yes do you regret it or you are happy with the G4?
Did you make the jump or are you i to see what others have to say? I don't have the M9, but am interesting in hearing what others are saying about the two.

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from the M9. Just got,the G4 today. I am a really big fan of the One series and love sense 7, but I made the switch because the M9 battery was killing me. I also experienced a lot of dropped calls with the M9. I don't like cases so I was always paranoid with the M9 even with the uh oh protection. With the G4 I know I can replace the backplate so that eases my mind. So far I'm not disapointed or excited about the LG UI but the screen is amazing and so far I haven't noticed a difference in performance versus the M9. How's without saying the camera is a huge step up and the few calls I've made the call quality was also better. I'm receiving better signal than the M9. I'm not gonna knock on the M9 cause I think it's a great device, but I think I'm going to be very happy with the G4. I'll update as I use the device more.

Posted via the Android Central App

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
My girlfriend made the switch to g4 from m9. The m9 has three huge flaws. It runs hot while doing practically nothing. The battery is bad, about s6 bad. But the biggest flaw is the camera. I have a nexus 5 that can out shoot the m9 at any level. The m9 is on par with the moto g in my opinion.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
My girlfriend made the switch to g4 from m9. The m9 has three huge flaws. It runs hot while doing practically nothing. The battery is bad, about s6 bad. But the biggest flaw is the camera. I have a nexus 5 that can out shoot the m9 at any level. The m9 is on par with the moto g in my opinion.

It seems like she's happy with the G4? Is there anything she misses on the M9 that the G4 doesn't offer?

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
It seems like she's happy with the G4? Is there anything she misses on the M9 that the G4 doesn't offer?

I don't think she misses the m9 at all and she can't get over how nice the battery and camera are on the g4. I did multiple fdrs on the m9 but it runs between 95 and 105 while idle. It's weird how the heat coming off that thing feels. I always read that the m9 had a bad camera and it sure does. I can't believe that thing ever got released.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Well I have an M9 and while it's a very good phone I want a bigger screen and a better camera, The M9 camera is pretty good in daylight with no clouds outside but once you have an overcast the noise and smudges are kickin :(
The screen feels small now after years of 4.7" and 5" screen. Thanks to xpirt on xda you can flash Sense 7 and many htc apps now on phones like G4, so UI wise I won't loose a thing :)
Though I wonder if music using earphones is as good (BT or wired) and how is the premium feeling in hand?

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I have an M9 and while it's a very good phone I want a bigger screen and a better camera, The M9 camera is pretty good in daylight with no clouds outside but once you have an overcast the noise and smudges are kickin :(
The screen feels small now after years of 4.7" and 5" screen. Thanks to xpirt on xda you can flash Sense 7 and many htc apps now on phones like G4, so UI wise I won't loose a thing :)
Though I wonder if music using earphones is as good (BT or wired) and how is the premium feeling in hand?

I haven't tried earphones yet, but as far as premium feeling in the hand goes, I think it's subjective. I'm coming from and M9 and an iPhone 6 before that so I worried about how the build quality would feel after all that aluminum and metal. For me the device feels very sturdy and looks better than I thought it would. It's not an M9 or iPhone, but in my opinion I'd rank it more premium looking and feeling than the Moto X or GS5 for comparison sake.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Yep even S6 feels cheap because it shares the same face as galaxy Ace! I tried the G4 in a shop and it feels definitely better than s6, perhaps not as good as iphone 6 and M9 but at least if you get scratches you can change the back :)
The gold version looks the best as it gives more metal feel.
I wonder if music is good with or without viper4android

mtva24

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why everyone is complaining about the M9's battery life. I own both and get better battery on the m9. I get 4 hrs SOT w/ ease on the m9. Still haven't achieved that once on the G4. I prefer the screen, camera, size, and the fact that you can switch out the batteries on the G4. I prefer the build, ui, speakers, and battery of the M9.

P.s. the m9 gets so hot during these 90 degree summer days! I got the dreaded "time-out" message the other day!

Gabriel619

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
M8 to M9 to G4.

Loved my M8 so I tried the M9, but I returned it because of overheating issues. Decided to try the G4 because of the T-mobile discount and leather back & battery promo by LG, and I gotta say I'm happy with the switch. I like the bigger screen and overall feel of the phone. And the G4 is easier to use with my car mount because of the buttons placed on the back instead of the side. Battery life is good, and I haven't found the need to use my spare battery yet.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Yep! The new FW update brought back the bad thermals!
Is the back of the G4 (if possible plastic version) more curved than M9?
RAW and HDR saving time is faster? It takes 3 sec on M9 for each photo.
Double tap to wake is better?

Gabriel619

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Yep! The new FW update brought back the bad thermals!
Is the back of the G4 (if possible plastic version) more curved than M9?
RAW and HDR saving time is faster? It takes 3 sec on M9 for each photo.
Double tap to wake is better?

The double tap to wake on my HTC seems to be a just a tad bit more responsive than on my G4.

The G4 is definitely more curved than the M9. I have the leather version.

I'm not much of a camera guy so I never really played around with it.

Gabriel619

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Another M9 capability that I wish the G4 had is being able to block spam calls by saving all the spam phone numbers to one dummy contact and then blocking the contact.

The G4 can only block phone numbers, up to a certain amount. Unless I'm doing it wrong.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
If saving to internal memory, I'd say it takes maybe 2 seconds before you can take another HDR shot. And maybe 1.5 seconds between shots if saving RAW + JPG.

I'd call it about 2 seconds each, if saving to my 32GB SD card from LG's promotion.

I didn't have a stopwatch going, admittedly. But I guess I haven't found the time to save photos to be excessive.

I just tried holding down the shutter button in Auto, with HDR off, and it ripped off 25 pictures in 5 seconds. So if you want a bunch of rapid shots, it can do that. It's set to save to SD, so it probably buffered them, then wrote them all to the card, since my card isn't fast enough to write them continuously that quickly (they were 8MB each).

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Nice!
It's definitely faster than m9 for hdr and slightly faster for RAW.
I have a 64gb PNY Turbo card so it will be pretty fast.
If only custom roms begin to roll out...

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I gave serious thought to the G4, but I just couldn't get over the aesthetics. Of course, this will be completely subjective, but the pattern on the bezels under the glass kill me. There also isn't a backplate on the G4 that I like. Then there's the plastic faux chrome on the sides. It feels solid and well built, but I just think it's an ugly phone honestly. Many people hate the black bar and HTC logo on the front of the M9, but I find it way less tacky than that weird patterned bezel that LG uses. LG got a lot right with the G4, but the aesthetics just aren't for me.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
What about thermals??
I heard a friend who knows a friend with a G4 who said he hate his G4 because it gets hot all the time!
The M9 is also a phone that can get hot easily,specially in these summer days.
What do you think?

Gabriel619

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
What about thermals??
I heard a friend who knows a friend with a G4 who said he hate his G4 because it gets hot all the time!
The M9 is also a phone that can get hot easily,specially in these summer days.
What do you think?

I've had no heat issues with my G4. It got hot once while charging but it cooled down quick. The M9, I had to return because it would get too hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12