How do you keep your extra battery?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So, many G4 owners seem to have gotten an extra battery, mainly from that LG promo.

So, my question is how do you keep your fully-charged spare?

I usually keep it around with me, but I use it when my phone is dying and when my battery bank is exhausted and I'm away from a charger. That said, I usually swap batteries every week if I don't get around to using the spare sooner.

How do you keep your spare?

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Charged, in its charging case. I don't carry it around in my pocket. It stays in my desk at work, or I've brought it along in cases where I may suddenly need a lot of battery life.

I have only switched over to it when running low during the day, in a scenario where I wanted a bunch of capacity available for that evening. A charger was going to be too slow.

Last edited:

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
In my G4 box with my black leather back. Certainly rocking the tan leather. I'm saving both for now. I'll take it with if I'm going out of town or if I know I'm gonna be out all day and using my phone a lot.

Posted from my LG G4 via the Android Central App

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine stays in its charging case fully charged. I occasionally swap the batteries around even if I don't need to. I don't usually carry it around with me unless I think I might really need it like when I go hiking.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Mine stays in its charging case fully charged. I occasionally swap the batteries around even if I don't need to. I don't usually carry it around with me unless I think I might really need it like when I go hiking.

Pretty much this, my G4 has great battery life so I don't really need it unless I'm traveling or out of my routine for some reason. I use it sometimes when I'm navigating so I don't have to run the charger at the same time because the phone gets so hot. Otherwise it's in my case charged.

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
In a drawer in the package that it came in. Have not had any need to use it yet. Going forward, I may swap batteries every now and then, but don't really think about it.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I keep it charged and in my pocket. I swap it at least once on work days. If I have a bag with me, I'll use my power bank to charge the dead battery I swapped out.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm very fortunate, in that I'm mostly desk-bound during the day, and use my phone tethered to my laptop via USB. So, my battery is really never in danger of a serious discharge. Actually, I haven't even received my spare battery yet, but once I do, I'll ensure to swap it out once a month just to keep them both in an equal rotation.

Gabriel619

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Got my free spare battery last week, charged it up, and now it's collecting dust in my drawer. I've never had to use it. Maybe I'll swap batteries once in a while.

Douglas_B

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
If you don't use the extended battery that often, it's generally best to keep it at 50% charge and store it in a cool dry place. Storing at full charge or empty (as well as in excessive heat) can shorten the lifespan of the battery.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
If you don't use the extended battery that often, it's generally best to keep it at 50% charge and store it in a cool dry place. Storing at full charge or empty (as well as in excessive heat) can shorten the lifespan of the battery.

+1. If you know you aren't going to use it for a while (even just until next month), and want to really treat it nicely, run it down to roughly 50%, put it in a sealed plastic bag, and store it in the fridge.

When you need to use it, take it out of the fridge, but keep it in the sealed bag until it is at room temperature. That will prevent condensation from forming on the battery while it's still cold.

Last edited:

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Depending on the day I just switch the batteries as needed. I always keep my spare charged and ready to go. If I leave to go somewhere I take the spare in the charger with me along with a spare charger cable.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I pretty much only swap on Monday nights. On Monday nights I go to a pool hall for league play -- after that I come home and swap it since that is the only time I have my case off (due to the smoke smell).

So basically each battery gets a week of work and then a week of rest.

metallifan33

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
One thing I like about having a spare battery is that I can read on my phone a bunch before going to bed and not worry about falling asleep and forgetting to plug my phone in to charge. That being said, I keep the spare in the case it came in (this makes it bulkier but you don't want the metal connectors touching other metal or the battery will discharge or worse). I keep the battery in my laptop bag as I travel. I gotta say, if I worked in a cube and could charge my phone during the day, I wouldn't have a need for an extra battery.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

+1

Hence, why many brand new phones come with a battery that's usually at around 50%, which is why we sometimes call it "storage charge".

That said, since the G4 has a removable battery, I don't think users will be too worried about battery lifespan, especially compared to phones with sealed batteries.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC