Sorry, but have to gush just a little

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Because SD Cards fail, and when they do, they tend to do so BEFORE they give you a chance to back up. Better safe than sorry.

That's fair. But I basically back up nightly (WiFi), automatically. So I'd lose a day of pics in the scenario, max. Less if I made it back up "live" using cell data.

I'm a risk-averse person, but this is a level of risk that seems acceptable to me. Not perfect, but at least it keeps your faster, internal storage free, if you want to use that for other stuff. And if that doesn't matter (plenty of space), sure, just save to internal, and backup from there.

There are also different failure modes. In some scenarios, SD may be better. If you drop your phone in water, and it's just dead, then internal memory is likely inaccessible. But the SD card may still work, if removed and put in another device.

I don't mean that SD is better. But I don't think it's simply worse in every scenario. I have been fortunate so far, with no suddenly-failed cards.

If you're trying to minimize risk with important pictures, save them to internal, then have them automatically mirrored (copied) to SD. Then also back up to the cloud. With sufficient space, this still doesn't cost you anything.

Last edited:

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Can I also pipe in that you can use FolderSync ( https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....android.foldersync.full&hl=en&token=5-_IoDGY ) to do really effective device-to-cloud / cloud-to-device synching without the need to use that particular cloud service's app; I use FolderSync to do several different synchs (photos, videos, music, recordings) back and forth with Dropbox. It can handle Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon Cloud Drive and AWS S3, One Drive, SugarSync, and the list goes on...

Thanks sswitzer. Just purchased FS and will see how it works. I received my 64GB MicroSD card yesterday and popped it in last night. Now to load my music and try a little syncing ;).

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks sswitzer. Just purchased FS and will see how it works. I received my 64GB MicroSD card yesterday and popped it in last night. Now to load my music and try a little syncing ;).

Here's how I've got it set up to back up my sd photos to dropbox (the first 2 screenshots; the synch screens not shown are ones I leave as default). Also I've included a screenshot of the setting screen you'll need to use if you want foldersync to ever modify the sd contents.

A few more bits of my favourite synchs: upload other folders such as snapseed, download files back to your phone such as the occasional album of music, and two-way synching of your favourite photos (the last 2 screenshots... note the checkboxes used).

Not shown in a screenshot, but you can also have a synch be not scheduled, i.e., one that you kick off manually. I use that for voice recordings that I like to sort out (filter / rename) on the phone before I upload them to dropbox; if it gets done automatically, I end up with recordings on dropbox that I really don't need.

FS is my favourite tool for Android, and I spend a lot of time making sure it's set up the way I like it.

(Sorry for the very long post / screenshots... I recommend FS quite a bit in this forum, and I've been thinking of putting together a post like this that I can direct other people to.)

Attachments

• 1438871612355.jpg
    1438871612355.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1438871620765.jpg
    1438871620765.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 1438871634395.jpg
    1438871634395.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 10
  • 1438871732295.jpg
    1438871732295.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 1438871890435.jpg
    1438871890435.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1438872054465.jpg
    1438872054465.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 10
  • 1438872065987.jpg
    1438872065987.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Lol at the worst idea ever. Who has just pictures? Google photos tops out at 1080p for video. So much for recording in 4k if I wanted it backed up with Google. One Drive stores everything I need plus I get the newest version of Office on my Surface.

I use One Drive as well. Been working great!

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Credit where credit is due... iPhone Cameras are really good, too... and while the LG G4 would probably outshine your friend's 5S in static pictures and standard video, it will be left ashamed and in the dust if you use the SloMo feature. For lack of a better allowed word: It's crap in the G4 (and any Android I've seen, for that matter).

Hmm, havent tried it yet. Never had a need to use slo mo but now i will to try it

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Prepare to be amazed!!!... But by the crappiness of it all haha (Sorry, it just is!) Can't believe a camera so awesome for stills and video couldn't spare some coding/processing for good SloMo video. Oh, well... not the end of the world.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Actually just used it on myAmazon review;).
Took most of our family vacation to Tahoe pics with it. Noise reduction is a little too aggressive at times, but only notice it mostly when zoomed in. I get two days battery, though that gets me down to the 20% range, so usually recharge every night. Got my free orange leather back + battery/charger, a 64GB SD card coming...as the letters of the company stand for, Life's Good!

LG is Lucky Goldstar lol

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
LG is Lucky Goldstar lol

DOH! LOL! You're right, I totally forgot (think I've watched too many commercials!). Had a LG CD-RW drive on my first computer and think they were possibly using just the Goldstar name moniker then on the faceplate.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Prepare to be amazed!!!... But by the crappiness of it all haha (Sorry, it just is!) Can't believe a camera so awesome for stills and video couldn't spare some coding/processing for good SloMo video. Oh, well... not the end of the world.

Because the hardware side seems solid, hopefully LG will release a software update to refine things, especially with the iPhone update coming soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173