Re: why does my lg g4 keep shutting down

Welcome to AC.

Return under warranty?

Posted via the Android Central App

Am100623

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site

YESSS!!! Thank you for posting this! I am having the same problem with my phone!!! I got ripped apart on my thread for this same complaint, it's refreshing to know that someone is having the same issue. My phone shuts down constantly every day and I have to take out the battery only for it to freeze then shut right back down. Apparently according to the responses on my thread about this I got a "rare dud" and it shouldn't be doing this. If you issue is resolved, how did you get it taken care of?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

YESSS!!! Thank you for posting this! I am having the same problem with my phone!!! I got ripped apart on my thread for this same complaint, it's refreshing to know that someone is having the same issue. My phone shuts down constantly every day and I have to take out the battery only for it to freeze then shut right back down. Apparently according to the responses on my thread about this I got a "rare dud" and it shouldn't be doing this. If you issue is resolved, how did you get it taken care of?

I've read your other thread and you didn't get "ripped apart" (aside from two inappropriate posts that should be removed). Your other thread was titled, "LG G4 This Phone is Garbage", and people provided help for most of your issues. The random shutdown thing really is rare, in that you two are the only ones I've seen that have this issue. So it's either an app issue from who-knows-what, or it can maybe resolved via factory reset, or your phone just needs to be fixed. As I've read nearly every thread in this forum, and you guys are the only ones to come forward with this issue, then accept the fact that there maybe is something seriously wrong with your phone that not everyone else is experiencing.

sjmlibra

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
re:

My LG G4 shuts down without warning and cannot be turned back on. I have to take out the battery, wait, put it back in and then it sometimes starts back up. Other times it goes to the "spark" screen and locks up so I take the battery out again, put back and try again. It then goes through a restart process that has taken up to an hour to complete. Sprint was no help... and your negative angry answer to the other person was no help either... (sswitzer)
Contacting LG directly instead.

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
re:

After shutting down, try removing your SD card (assuming you have one) and running for a while without it. A corrupted card can cause random shutdowns and or reboots. If that fixes it, the card itself could be OK but have a corrupted file that causes a shut down whenever it's accessed. You could start with reformatting the card, if that doesn't work, you'd have to replace it with a knew one.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
re:

My LG G4 shuts down without warning and cannot be turned back on. I have to take out the battery, wait, put it back in and then it sometimes starts back up. Other times it goes to the "spark" screen and locks up so I take the battery out again, put back and try again. It then goes through a restart process that has taken up to an hour to complete. Sprint was no help... and your negative angry answer to the other person was no help either... (sswitzer)

In a non-angry, hopefully helpful tone: you're experiencing something that is most likely caused either by a bad SD card (as greydarrah has noted) or a bad app. SD card issue is easy to diagnose. To see if it's a bad app, reboot in Safe Mode and see if the problem persists... and if not, then start figuring out which of your apps is causing the issue. If none of that works, either try a factory reset or return your phone to your carrier (or wherever.)

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

Umm...there was nothing angry or negative about his post. He provided troubleshooting steps and then stated what is simply fact about technology...you just get a bad one sometimes.

Not cool to come to this forum and in your first and only post accuse someone that way. Especially someone who is/has done nothing but post helpful information and start a sticky thread.

What did Sprint tell you?

kennyboy1

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

im glad i came across this post. mine is doing the same i have had mine since it first came out. did have g3. love these phones.
mine as done it since tuesday i was backing it up and lg bridge came up with 2 software updates. so i backed my phone up and done the update, now with result as others, on my g4 02 uk unlocked i have
android ver 5.1
kernel 3.10.49
build lmy47d
software v10d234-10
that's the g4 h815, now i dont know to take sd card out back it up, and put my backup original on the phone. or just take sd card out to rule that out.
any ideas please.

that rules out sd card taken out. i think i will go back or do a factory restore.

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
re:

Okay, I have the H815 and only had a random reboot once throughout its 2 months of service. It was low on battery, though.

I can give you some tips to diagnose the issue;
  • Remove the SD card if you have one inside.
  • Uninstall any apps that are of no use or ones that look suspicious.
  • Do a factory reset if the above 2 didn't help
If your phone still randomly reboots, take it back for an RMA.

Mine still works fine. Zero lag and no serious issues aside from that puzzling random reboot.

kennyboy1

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

well ive done the top 2 and its still doing it, so ill wait awhile longer and do a factory reset, can i use my backup before i done the update.ive not backed the version up. plus what is every1 running when thay put the update out ie

android ver 5.1
kernel 3.10.49
build lmy47d
software v10d234-10

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
re:

well ive done the top 2 and its still doing it, so ill wait awhile longer and do a factory reset, can i use my backup before i done the update.ive not backed the version up. plus what is every1 running when thay put the update out ie

android ver 5.1
kernel 3.10.49
build lmy47d
software v10d234-10

Have you tried a Safe Mode boot?

merwoman

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
re:

Mine has been doing this too but only for the past few days. I know I got some Sprint Pack update within the last week and then got a message that one of the apps couldn't be updated....it seems to have started after that so I'm wondering if there's a connection. Today it took 4 times of removing the battery before it would finally start, and then it did a half-hour app optimization thing...ate up about 12% of my battery and now the back of the phone is hot to the touch.

I have loved this phone up until this problem started happening but I'm getting really frustrated with it over this.

Considering doing a factory reset but then I lose all of my settings, correct? And I really don't want to have to go through redoing all the settings again.

In the meantime, does anyone know how to actually get the SD card out of the phone?! Instructions are straightforward, but when it comes to sliding out the card--it won't. I can push it out from the top with my fingernail but it only moves about 1-2 mm and that's not enough to get hold of it and pull it the rest of the way out.

GAAAHHH!

Last edited:

kennyboy1

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

Mine has been doing this too but only for the past few days. I know I got some Sprint Pack update within the last week and then got a message that one of the apps couldn't be updated....it seems to have started after that so I'm wondering if there's a connection. Today it took 4 times of removing the battery before it would finally start, and then it did a half-hour app optimization thing...ate up about 12% of my battery and now the back of the phone is hot to the touch.

I have loved this phone up until this problem started happening but I'm getting really frustrated with it over this.

Considering doing a factory reset but then I lose of my settings, correct? And I really don't want to have to go through redoing all the settings again.

In the meantime, does anyone know how to actually get the SD card out of the phone?! Instructions are straightforward, but when it comes to sliding out the card--it won't. I can push it out from the top with my fingernail but it only moves about 1-2 mm and that's not enough to get hold of it and pull it the rest of the way out.

GAAAHHH!

seems we are in the same boat, why are you having trouble getting sd card out. just turn of phone it will come out with or with out battery pull. but saying that im ready to factory reset, but im waiting to see how to hard reboot thanks.

kennyboy1

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
re:

got this its not mine copy/paste, i have done it this way.

LG G4 Safe Mode
Press and Hold the Power Button
Let Go of the Power Button When the Power Menu Appears
Tap and Hold the ‘Power Off’ Option
Tap on the ‘OK’ Option When Told About Rebooting into Safe Mode
Wait Until the LG G4 Reboots into Safe Mode

Explanation
Safe Mode for the LG G4 is a way for you to disable all 3rd party applications from use. The reason why Google added it is so that we can find out if a 3rd party application is the reason why something is wrong with our phones. For example, if you are experiencing excessive battery drain on the LG G4, then it is recommended that you boot into Safe Mode and monitor your battery usage while in this mode. If your battery drain improves while in Safe Mode then a 3rd party application is likely the culprit and now it is your job to find out which one it is.

merwoman

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
re:

seems we are in the same boat, why are you having trouble getting sd card out. just turn of phone it will come out with or with out battery pull. but saying that im ready to factory reset, but im waiting to see how to hard reboot thanks.

Mine does NOT come out. If your phone isn't Sprint out set-ups might be different. The usual "push and it will pop out" maneuver is not working with mine.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
re:

Mine does NOT come out. If your phone isn't Sprint out set-ups might be different. The usual "push and it will pop out" maneuver is not working with mine.

As far as SD card instructions all models are the same. I'd take it to a sprint store and have them look at it.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

You should be able to just pull the card with your fingernail toward the battery to get it out of the slot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa