4G vs LTE?

Broth3rz

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I just got my H815 and I went to Cricket and when I left she had turned on Mobile Data which is good but I had an 'H', so I turn the Network mode to LTE Auto, top option, and it now says 4G, but I thought that it needs to say LTE for top speeds?

I remembered seeing LTE somewhere, but I can't find it again.

So even though it says 4G, am I getting LTE or? The APN seems to be set up correctly.. so?

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I believe 'H' is HSPA. It is supposed to be slightly faster than 3G. HSPA+ (H+) is a little faster than H, and some carriers call it 4G. And then there is 4G LTE. On my phone, I would switch between 4G and 4G LTE depends on where I am. If you have LTE, you should see the word LTE under or to the right of the 4G icon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
H is considered 4g in the usa by tmobile and att

However on the h815, I believe 4g indicates lte

Broth3rz

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Well, It was H before I cahnged the Network Mode to LTE Auto. Now it went from H to the 4G, I see no LTE at the top of the phone, just the 4G and 2 arrows under it, up and down arrow. now if I turn WIFI on, that goes away and shows curved bars so I guess it's pulling from my wireless home internet instead. But no LTE anywhere, though I found it in settings, can't find it again. I'm in Ohio.

Where does it show the Signal Strength and all that?
How do I check speeds?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Signal strength is in Settings, About Phone, Network.
To measure the data speeds, use one of the apps for that in the Play Store....there are many. Bear in mind that the speeds will vary, such as at busy times of the day etc.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, It was H before I cahnged the Network Mode to LTE Auto. Now it went from H to the 4G, I see no LTE at the top of the phone, just the 4G and 2 arrows under it, up and down arrow. now if I turn WIFI on, that goes away and shows curved bars so I guess it's pulling from my wireless home internet instead. But no LTE anywhere, though I found it in settings, can't find it again. I'm in Ohio.

Where does it show the Signal Strength and all that?
How do I check speeds?

H = 4g or "HSPA" for AT&T / T-Mobile on the 815 model

If you see an actual "4g" symbol at the top that is LTE (see my post below).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As you can see I have "Signal Checker Pro" running in the background which shows my dBm / what I am connected to (at the top left) and I am on LTE even though the phone shows "4G".

The reason fro this is is due to us using the international model -- they consider 4G as LTE over there. Only here in the states is "HSPA" considered "4G".

Attachments

• 1439586720991.jpg
    1439586720991.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 30

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The real confusion (for the uninformed) is that "4G" is not a standard, it's a concept. It's the "4th generation" of data transmission, which can be interpreted however the carrier wants. I understand this, so I can live with it, but the average user most certainly doesn't, and I continue to be astonished that there isn't a standardization for this "badge" that isn't enforced.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The real confusion (for the uninformed) is that "4G" is not a standard, it's a concept. It's the "4th generation" of data transmission, which can be interpreted however the carrier wants.

To an extent -- Carriers can't just freely claim "5G" if they thought it was even if it wasn't. The FCC wouldn't allow that. They call HSPA "4G" in the US. Only in the US is "4G" considered HSPA -- and then the carriers add "4G LTE" for when it is LTE.

Most other parts of the word (as shown by my International Model) 4G is LTE so they just show 4G in the status bar.

Cavboygt

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
My T-Mobile note 4 unlocked running on cricket. Can anyone tell why every time I make a call/voice call my data drop to 4g. Is this normal?

Note 4 strong Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My T-Mobile note 4 unlocked running on cricket. Can anyone tell why every time I make a call/voice call my data drop to 4g. Is this normal?

I would say yes. Cricket doesn't allow VoLTE IIRC.

Cavboygt

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Thank you I thought my note 4 is broken.
Cricket
Cons
1. data caps 8mbps
2. No volte during phone call
3. Anything else?

Pros
1. $45 5gig
2. More reliable than T-Mobile
3. More bar everywhere I go in San Francisco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance