Best way to get my SD card slot fixed?

xylotism

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I've made a terrible mistake.

I bought a brand new VZW LG G4 on 8/3/2015. I had an old SIM card that I wanted to use instead of the one that it shipped with -- so I tried to pop out the old one. The SIM card slot is designed so that there's no obvious "eject", so in my blind folly I proceeded to push on the SIM at the top-left edge of the SIM slot, the part that's uncovered by the metal "casing" above it, with a small plastic toothpick.

Unfortunately the G4 is designed in a way where that one open edge for the SIM card slot is also where the pins for the SD card slot are. I can't tell for sure by looking at it because they're somewhat hidden, but I think I've bent the pins on my SD card slot.

SD cards won't read in my phone -- they work fine on multiple computers and card readers, but the SD mount/format options are perpetually grayed out on the device. I may not strictly NEED an SD card slot, but I certainly would like to have one over not, and it hurts my soul to think that I would lose my brand new phone's SD capability just because of poor design by LG and my stupid stupid brain.

I have Total Equipment Coverage from Verizon, which allows replacement on any phone that's lost, damaged or stolen -- I could tell them the phone was lost to have them send a new one, but the deductible for that is $150. I could also go with LG's warranty. I don't know if they would consider the damage in-warranty or out-of-warranty, but I'm assuming it's the latter, which would also be a deductible -- not sure how much that would cost.

It's been less than two weeks and I just want to turn back time to have a brand new G4, but I admit that I most likely caused the damage and have to suffer the consequences. Still, should I send the phone to LG for repair and hope it's covered by warranty? Should I declare the phone "lost" and get a new/refurb one for $150? Should I walk into a Verizon store, lie and say I don't want the phone, ask for a different model and pay the difference? Should I buy an OTG cable and use that for external storage? Should I take it to a repair place, void my warranty and get it fixed? Or should I just suck it up and call it a 32GB phone with no SD card slot?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
With TEP you do not have to declare the phone lost. Is take it to Verizon, explain what happened and you might get an exchange on the spot after paying your $150 deductible.

Honesty is always best.

iresq

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, you broke your phone so thought maybe if you lied and say it was lost....

Take it to Verizon and explain. Use your big boy voice. All will be ok.

G4

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Or even easier call verizon just tell your phone is not reading sd card and they probably swap it through warranty no charge

Posted via the Android Central App

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Or even easier call verizon just tell your phone is not reading sd card and they probably swap it through warranty no charge

As I said earlier, honesty is best. People wonder why costs are so high, yet they so easily recommend fraud.

xylotism

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Guys, I'm not trying to swindle anyone. I'm more than willing to admit that I most likely bent the pins (if that's really what's happening, probably) and take responsibility. With TEP it doesn't matter if I report it lost, stolen or damaged -- I just figured lost is easiest since I won't have to go through all the time-wasting steps of "Did you turn it off and back on again?"

I just don't know what option I should take to get a new phone/repairs. I already took it to a Verizon store, who said since I bought it online I have to go through the warranty process online. If I could take it in, spend $150 and get a replacement that's totally fine with me, but unfortunately they wouldn't let me at the store I went to.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

This is what I would do and it's not fraud. "My phone is not reading sd card" is not an attempt to cheat anybody but its a factual statement. Don't go in there with your tail between your legs but go in there and demand your rights as a consumer. Things like this happen all the time. Sure honesty is the best policy but if you don't get whats yours I guarantee the guy in line behind you will! Not preaching just sayin.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been down these roads before myself trying to get a phone that is malfunctioning fixed or replaced. Trying to do it the " right way " is often difficult and I see where many people turn to trying to " work the system " to get what they need accomplished. In the end as many people say it hurts the over all consumer with fraud and improper claims being handled.

I would first contact Verizon, if a regular rep isn't going to get you the answer your looking for then politely ask to speak with a manager and explain your situation. If your willing to take responsibility for the problem they will be even more likely to work with you and get it handled in a quicker fashion.

However we don't need folks posting on here ways to " work the system ". In the long run its not what we should be suggesting to anyone and starts to give a false impression of how to deal with things. Sometimes it may take a few phone calls and jumping around to get the right person but its better to get it done properly than to come up with some work around or false claims just to get it handled quicker or cheaper.

As customers we are well aware of the costs of warranty, TEP's, etc. so why when it comes time to make use of them some folks try to talk their way to a better deal makes no sense. You agreed to it upon signing the contract or purchase agreement so stick with it.

Just my two cents...

Paul
Moderator @ AC.

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
As I said earlier, honesty is best. People wonder why costs are so high, yet they so easily recommend fraud.

I never told them to lie just say that it's not working which is true they dude so yeah i am 99 percent sure they won't charge for that there looking for water damage and cracked screens now if they ask what he thinks happen then tell by well tell what you think happened if your not even sure yourself. i am pretty sure Verizon is not going oh look it was not his fault lets give him his money back and really dude fraud that's Not

I've been down these roads before myself trying to get a phone that is malfunctioning fixed or replaced. Trying to do it the " right way " is often difficult and I see where many people turn to trying to " work the system " to get what they need accomplished. In the end as many people say it hurts the over all consumer with fraud and improper claims being handled.

I would first contact Verizon, if a regular rep isn't going to get you the answer your looking for then politely ask to speak with a manager and explain your situation. If your willing to take responsibility for the problem they will be even more likely to work with you and get it handled in a quicker fashion.

However we don't need folks posting on here ways to " work the system ". In the long run its not what we should be suggesting to anyone and starts to give a false impression of how to deal with things. Sometimes it may take a few phone calls and jumping around to get the right person but its better to get it done properly than to come up with some work around or false claims just to get it handled quicker or cheaper.

As customers we are well aware of the costs of warranty, TEP's, etc. so why when it comes time to make use of them some folks try to talk their way to a better deal makes no sense. You agreed to it upon signing the contract or purchase agreement so stick with it.

Just my two cents...

Paul
Moderator @ AC.

in no way was i telling him to work the system please do not misconstrued my words

Last edited:

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You say potato, I say fraud.

Saying it's lost when it's not lost, only saying "the SD card doesn't work" when you know you've been digging around in there with a plastic toothpick is "working the system".

Back on topic, with it not reading an SD card, if you want this functioning again go through the warranty process online as the Verizon store told you.

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I've made a terrible mistake.

I bought a brand new VZW LG G4 on 8/3/2015. I had an old SIM card that I wanted to use instead of the one that it shipped with -- so I tried to pop out the old one. The SIM card slot is designed so that there's no obvious "eject", so in my blind folly I proceeded to push on the SIM at the top-left edge of the SIM slot, the part that's uncovered by the metal "casing" above it, with a small plastic toothpick.

Unfortunately the G4 is designed in a way where that one open edge for the SIM card slot is also where the pins for the SD card slot are. I can't tell for sure by looking at it because they're somewhat hidden, but I think I've bent the pins on my SD card slot.

SD cards won't read in my phone -- they work fine on multiple computers and card readers, but the SD mount/format options are perpetually grayed out on the device. I may not strictly NEED an SD card slot, but I certainly would like to have one over not, and it hurts my soul to think that I would lose my brand new phone's SD capability just because of poor design by LG and my stupid stupid brain.

I have Total Equipment Coverage from Verizon, which allows replacement on any phone that's lost, damaged or stolen -- I could tell them the phone was lost to have them send a new one, but the deductible for that is $150. I could also go with LG's warranty. I don't know if they would consider the damage in-warranty or out-of-warranty, but I'm assuming it's the latter, which would also be a deductible -- not sure how much that would cost.

It's been less than two weeks and I just want to turn back time to have a brand new G4, but I admit that I most likely caused the damage and have to suffer the consequences. Still, should I send the phone to LG for repair and hope it's covered by warranty? Should I declare the phone "lost" and get a new/refurb one for $150? Should I walk into a Verizon store, lie and say I don't want the phone, ask for a different model and pay the difference? Should I buy an OTG cable and use that for external storage? Should I take it to a repair place, void my warranty and get it fixed? Or should I just suck it up and call it a 32GB phone with no SD card slot?

So question before you did all this do you know if the sd card reader was working if not how are you sure you caused the damaged im not saying to lie call them. tell then your sd card reader is not working answer all there question truthfully and see what they tell you. The worst case is tou pay 150 and they send you a refurb and you send back the old best case scenario you dont pay and you still get a refurb

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
OP(xylotism)....some people seem to have misunderstood my point here and I hope you didn't. All I'm saying is go into a Verizon store and state your case. Tell them you were trying to remove the sim card with a toothpick and now your sd card doesn't work.(truth). You did nothing malicious the way some here would have you think so if they are customer service oriented like I am in my business they will take care of it with a smile without pointing a finger at you. They might be able to fix it on site the same way you broke it!
Don't beat yourself up about it!!!
(Or let others)

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

Last edited:

xylotism

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm going to call Verizon tomorrow (in-store employees don't seem very willing to "troubleshoot"), be straight forward with them and hope they don't give me the runaround, whether I have to pay or not.

Mikey, I'm sure you're trying to do the right thing, but really I think it's a little misplaced here. I've never had to warranty a phone before. I don't know how strict the "manufacturer defect" policy is, for example. I was only looking for advice on my options. Thanks for giving me yours, I appreciate it.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Mikey, I'm sure you're trying to do the right thing, but really I think it's a little misplaced here. I've never had to warranty a phone before. I don't know how strict the "manufacturer defect" policy is, for example. I was only looking for advice on my options. Thanks for giving me yours, I appreciate it.

You're welcome -- I was merely trying to point out that using TEP and reporting your phone as lost is not the right way. When you report a phone as lost with TEP, which I've had to do because my daughter dropped her phone over the side of a boat, you have to agree that if the phone is recovered that you will immediately return to Assurion. I know you were not asking the question out of an attempt to "game the system", you were asking out of need to get your phone fixed.

That's it, over and done with. I sure hope you get this fixed, because the G4 truly is an amazing phone!

xylotism

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! It's also my first time posting here so I truly appreciate the quick feedback from everyone. I have a much better idea of what route to take now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34