Essential Apps for G4

Funky Diver

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
So I am making my first foray into Android on a phone with my G4 at the end of the month. I'm moving from iOS (yaaay) and beyond the usual add in apps available from the App Store / PlayStore (Spotify, Pinterest, etc) are there any killer apps that will work particularly well with the following, beyond the ones installed?

Mail
Browser
GPS (I use NavFree on iOS because it's simply awesome... I don't even know if it's available on Playstore / G4)
Camera - or is the one built in good enough? Can you even change it?
Any other suggestions.. .you don't know what you didn't know 'til you know it ;)

Cheers
Rich

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Welcome! I used an iOS device for a time, then went to Android, and it's been a much better fit for me. The flexibility and customization make me happy. But it's not for everyone.

Browser: I have been using CM Browser (fast and light), and Firefox, as alternatives to the included Chrome.
GPS: I don't see NavFree in the Google Play store. I mainly use Waze (also on iOS), and sometimes Google's Maps.
Camera: I am using the included camera app. I have tried one or two other free ones, and didn't see anything compelling to them. If you want to use Manual mode, you pretty much have to use the included Camera app, at least for now.

Other suggestions:
For monitoring your battery consumption: GSam. Great program, shows a bunch of info.
Gallery app: I'm liking QuickPic, over the included Gallery app
Texting app: I've switched over to Textra from the included Messaging app. It's faster, and I like it better so far. The messaging apps seem to draw from a common database of messages, so it appears that you can switch apps without losing all your messages.
For backing up text messages, if that's useful (switching Android phones, or just having a backup, etc): SMS Backup & Restore. Also its sister app, Call Logs Backup & Restore for, you guessed it, your call history.

These are all free.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Calendar: calengoo ... One word: customisable! (Also perfect integration with exchange)

Email: nine ... Better widget than the built in app

Foldersync ... Take control of your cloud synching

Quickpic ... Gallery and basic editing

Snapseed ... Advanced photo editing

ES File Explorer

#nochromo ... Chrome browser with ad blocking built in

Google keyboard ... I just started using it instead of Swiftkey, and I'm very impressed

Nova Prime launcher

(I know I went beyond what you asked, but those apps are my absolute favourites.)

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I second Google keyboard. The OEM app and Swiftkey are just too laggy for me. Google keyboard is not. I only wish there were more than four customizations for it.

I don't mind using Google calendar either, over the OEM one.

Going to check out some of what the others have posted after I get my G4 fixed/replaced today.

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Calendar: calengoo ... One word: customisable! (Also perfect integration with exchange)

Email: nine ... Better widget than the built in app

Foldersync ... Take control of your cloud synching

Quickpic ... Gallery and basic editing

Snapseed ... Advanced photo editing

ES File Explorer

#nochromo ... Chrome browser with ad blocking built in

Google keyboard ... I just started using it instead of Swiftkey, and I'm very impressed

Nova Prime launcher

(I know I went beyond what you asked, but those apps are my absolute favourites.)
I am almost your American twin on apps....ha

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Textra is great. Recently had an issue with Google Messenger. Definitely recommend a launcher. I use Google Now Launcher. Lots of people love Nova too.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Navfree is in the Play Store. When I searched for it, it came up with this.

Posted from my LG G4 via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 3685.jpg
    3685.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 191

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Like a lot of people here I use Waze and ChompSMS. Personally, I really like SwiftKey over anything else. There is some lag, but I think that is the G4 carrier infection over anything else.

I would also highly recommend Dashlane if you don't have it already. Great password and payment app. I got it early enough that they gave me free sync. It also has integration with SwiftKey.

I have been using Next 3D launcher because the 3D is amazing, but I got a glitch that I am working on, so I'm back to Now.

Just waiting for Cortana at this point.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
#NoChromo for browser

KeyPlus is awesome

I use Hangouts and WhatsApp for all my text and messaging needs.

Gmail handles all my email including exchange accounts although Proton mail (encrypted email) should have a beta app coming soon so I might switch my personal email over to it.

I just switched back to Google keyboard. I tried the LG keyboard for a good 2 months for the number row but the prediction and auto correction just doesn't hold a candle to Google keyboard.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
These are my essential apps for each and every Android device, regardless of manufacturer.

They work on anything from the LG G4 to the Galaxy Note 5, though I'll put some G4-focused apps on here.

1) HERE maps. No question. The best free maps app you'll ever use bar Waze and GMaps, mainly due to its superb offline navigation that works wonders if you travel often or have an inconsistent data signal.
2) SuperBeam. File transfers using NFC and Wi-Fi Direct for a lighting-fast transfer speed.
3) SwiftKey. My go-to on every Android.
4) Smart Remote. You might want this if you use the IR blaster often.
5) Greenify. The only battery-saving app that works.
6) Google Photos. You'll want all those gorgeous pics backed-up.
7) Key Plus. Extremely handy on the LG G4.
8) Nova Launcher. Not a fan of the stock LG launcher? Nova is my personal recommendation as it's customizable and it's clean + simple. I highly recommend getting Prime as it's simply worth it due to the options it adds.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I tried Textra but I am digging Chomp a little better at the moment!

Yeah, I like the customization more too.

Also, if you like the LED, you can get Light Manager and set it up to be different colours for many apps. And you can customize the LED colour and blink rate for specific contacts - works with Chomp, Handcent, Textra, GoSMS, and many others.

I know some people don't like the LED notification, but I do.

Oh, and Pushbullet is another essential app. It's nice to have it integrated with your browser on your PC so that you can see notifications (texts, etc.) without having to grab your phone.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

Also, if you like the LED, you can get Light Manager and set it up to be different colours for many apps. And you can customize the LED colour and blink rate for specific contacts - works with Chomp, Handcent, Textra, GoSMS, and many others.

Oh, and Pushbullet is another essential app. It's nice to have it integrated with your browser on your PC so that you can see notifications (texts, etc.) without having to grab your phone.

Lightflow is also pretty good for led control, though I'm not the biggest fan of the recent UI changes

Posted via the Android Central App

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

LOL, I was digging Chomp but reverted back to Textra...Chomp was having an issue with SMS and MMS delivery reports. Messages seemed to be sent but the UI showed 3 yellow dots instead of the check marks. Textra works fine. Both apps are very similar so I guess it is no big deal.

On another note, does anyone get ads on Textra's UI or did they do away with them?