Safe: screen down (no case)? Will it scratch the screen?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not using a case and I'm wondering if it's safe to put my beloved LG G4 face down on my desk. It appears like there's maybe a 1mm lip but not sure that's enough.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Douglas_B

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
The screen is actually subtly curved, so if you place it face down the screen itself shouldn't be touching the surface. I use my G4 without a case or screen protector and haven't had any problems so far.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I put a piece of paper on my desk and put it face down.

If there's a gap, it's soooo tiny, that a grain of salt on the table would scratch it.

Hmm. I guess that's the benefit of a case. However, I want to enjoy my leather backed phone and keep it light.

Hmm.
\

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not using a case and I'm wondering if it's safe to put my beloved LG G4 face down on my desk. It appears like there's maybe a 1mm lip but not sure that's enough.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

I would put a tempered glass screen protector on it. Then you wont have to worry about it. They are so much better than the old plastic ones. There is no loss of screen brightness and you absolutely can't tell they are there. The one from Fosom and Skinomi (mine) seem to be the most popular. Both are on Amazon for about $8.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

If you are not using a screen protector the screen will not touch face down on a clean flat surface. If you have a protector thicker than 1mm the protector will touch the surface. Cracked a protector on the corners setting it face down too hard.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Technically the screen shouldn't scratch as long as the threshold is not exceeded for what can scratch it. As it has gorilla glass 3. I wouldn't go out of my way to try and scratch it like putting it in a pocket with keys rubbing the screen all day. Even though they say that won't scratch it. I have never used a screen protector on any version of gorilla glass and have never had dust, food particles, lint, fingers, finger nails, table tops, or phone cases scratch it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It won't if you take care of it and don't put the phone face-down on rough surfaces, though it would be wise to get a tempered-glass screen protector.

The G4's screen actually has a subtle curve of R3000, so only the top and bottom part of the phone actually touches the ground. The middle part doesn't, assuming it's a flat surface.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I decided to remain naked, no screen protector, no case and just resist the temptation to put it face down.

Coming from a Note 3 with a case, the LG G4 (no case) is substantially lighter and nicer to hold.

In fact, it doesn't pull my gym shorts down like my note3 did.

I remain delighted with my LG decision. LUV LUV LUV that camera manual controls !!!

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't thought about or used a screen protector in several years and have yet to have a screen scratch or damage on any phone either. I use a bumper to keep the corners a little protected but keep the phone lightweight.

cleankutazn

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I haven't thought about or used a screen protector in several years and have yet to have a screen scratch or damage on any phone either. I use a bumper to keep the corners a little protected but keep the phone lightweight.

same here, haven't used screen protectors since the days of resistive touchscreens.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Little trick (since you should have one anyway). Get a microfiber lens cleaning cloth (any optometrist or the eyeglass center at Walmart sells them). Put that down on the desk before putting the phone down on it. That's what you should be using to clean fingerprints off the screen too (with a corner of the cloth dampened with lens cleaning solution).

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I decided to remain naked, no screen protector, no case and just resist the temptation to put it face down.

Coming from a Note 3 with a case, the LG G4 (no case) is substantially lighter and nicer to hold.

In fact, it doesn't pull my gym shorts down like my note3 did.

I remain delighted with my LG decision. LUV LUV LUV that camera manual controls !!!

I put a thin case on mine, one reason being the bead surrounding the screen keeps it from touching when I put it face down (which is how I always place it so as not to take a chance with the camera lens). A lot of people that want to keep the leather case "naked", which seems like the only way since a case defeats the purpose of the nice leather case, use a bumper.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I can't see myself having a designated micro fiber face-down-safe-zone on my desk at work, though maybe on my nightstand: I'm always concerned I will put my contigo water mug on the screen by accident as I'm only semi-awake.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
ok, I guess it's time to research bumpers!

I ordered the voia one from amazon . killed me to spend that kind of money even though the reviews were mixed. Right now I have a cheap hybrid case with the plastic back until my bumper comes. Can't wait to sport the leather back again.

The main reason I want anything is so I can turn the phone upside down with less risk to the screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

ryanpm40

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Technically the screen shouldn't scratch as long as the threshold is not exceeded for what can scratch it. As it has gorilla glass 3. I wouldn't go out of my way to try and scratch it like putting it in a pocket with keys rubbing the screen all day. Even though they say that won't scratch it. I have never used a screen protector on any version of gorilla glass and have never had dust, food particles, lint, fingers, finger nails, table tops, or phone cases scratch it.

Heh, yeah, that's definitely false depending on the situation. I've definitely scratched up some gorilla glass with just a quarter or two in my pocket, nevermind a set of keys

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Heh, yeah, that's definitely false depending on the situation. I've definitely scratched up some gorilla glass with just a quarter or two in my pocket, nevermind a set of keys

That's why I don't tempt fate by putting the screen in scenarios they claim they can withstand. However coming from the old palm pilot days where screens would scratch deeply just from dust particles these gorilla glass screens are much better. Things that scratched my old palm devices don't scratch them. But again I'm careful to avoid higher risk stuff like keys and such stuff.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Like a couple posters mentioned obviously use a little common sense if you keep your phone in your pocket...The only thing in my "phone" pocket is the phone...no change, no keys, no metal anything, but also make sure there's absolutely no grit like sand, which wouldn't be good for the charging port or power/volume switches either.