Should I return Note4 and get G4? Last day to decide.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
So I bought the Note4 a couple weeks ago knowing the Note5 would be coming out. I had the S6 but the phone was total garbage with non removable battery terrible audio, and terrible batter life so I traded it in for Note4.

Anyways kind of bored with Samsung and today is the last day at Tmobile I can exchange it so should I exchange it for the newer G4 which is cheaper too since I'll take a restocking fee hit?

I'm asking the question on both forums to help weigh my decision.

lorsban

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
These were my 2 options as well. I ended up with the LG because it was cheaper and had a free battery kit and sd card.

My wife has a Note 4 and she thinks it's the best phone she's ever had. I've tried it and it definitely feels like a solid phone. Didn't sense lag but then she's mostly into social media and not gaming like me. The screen and camera seem better on the Note 4.

In spite of all that, I still chose LG because of the fantastic ergonomics and comparable performance. Where the Note feels all serious and all edges, the LG in the hand was ooooh nice. Plus the whole phone is slightly curved so it conforms to the contour of your leg.

Besides that, I really wanted to try something different. I've been a Samsung user since the original Galaxy S, then S2, Note 2, S4.

jesthe3rd

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I looked at both of these phones and chose the G4. I think the camera is much better, and the screen in my opinion is better than the Note4. I have had Samsung, HTC, and LG and the LG's launcher is better too. Again, in my opinion. I love the G4, so far my favorite android phone I have ever owned.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't know anything about the Note 4 other than it's already a model behind the new one, I probably wouldn't want to start off with 1 year old technology right off the bat but given it's capabilities I'm sure it would service you well.

My G4 is a stellar device. I feel like an outsider here sometimes in that I don't experience this "lag" people talk about, nor do I have anything less than outstanding battery life; 3-4 hours SOT, 1.5-2 hrs phone time, tons of texts, 17 hours off charge, 35% easy left at bedtime. And I'm mobile much of the day so I'm in and out of strong signal areas.

I am not a game player nor to do I participate in Facebook or other social media sites other than 4-5 message boards so I don't have those sites sucking my battery dry FWIW. I also ditched the UI and installed Nova Prime.

I really like it and would recommend it but I'm sure the Note series would serve you well too.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
From what is said here, there is lag on the note 4. I had a note 2 and had lag. I got the g4 and don't have any noticeable lag. I think both are great phones. One question is, do you use the s pen or need to use it?

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Well I had the note 4 and was going to get the note 5 but changed to the G4 since the note 5 didn't have the sd card support. Both are great phones but the G4 has the better camera while the note has the better screen. I also got lag on the note 4 but I also get in on the G4 so for me its a wash there. The G4 also has 5.1 and depending on your carrier the note 4 may not yet (mine didn't). I've only had the G4 for 2 weeks so I'm not sure about how it will hold up over time but so far I like it a little better than the note although I think the note had better battery life. While you probably would happy with either I think the carrier support will be longer on the G4 since its newer so I would go with that one myself.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes you are. My VZW G4 is very very very laggy. It's better after I turned off the screen drawing settings in developer options, but it's still very laggy.

I feel sorry that you have to go through all that. I would send it back. This is my second unit (broke the screen, received a replacement) and still no lag.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I feel sorry that you have to go through all that. I would send it back. This is my second unit (broke the screen, received a replacement) and still no lag.

No, he's not. Verizon G4 here, not laggy.

I'm VZ and have no lag issues, I don't even know what people are talking about when referencing lag.

Nothing's smooth, intermittent freezing, stuttering, sometimes I wait 1-2 seconds for an app to start to open, even if that app was already open in my cache. I've already reset the device twice. I'm on my second VZW G4. Same laggy experience with both, however, i had an International version that ran perfectly. It's the reason i bought the VZW version, so I could use it on Verizon, so I know the G4's not laggy, but the Verizon flavor is. If you don't see the lag, consider yourself lucky.

These are the same issues I had with the G3 when it first came out, so I'm assuming it's the VZW version. It's there for mine, and so was the G3 for me.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
So I bought the Note4 a couple weeks ago knowing the Note5 would be coming out. I had the S6 but the phone was total garbage with non removable battery terrible audio, and terrible batter life so I traded it in for Note4.

Anyways kind of bored with Samsung and today is the last day at Tmobile I can exchange it so should I exchange it for the newer G4 which is cheaper too since I'll take a restocking fee hit?

Just go to a store and play with one. If the G4 seems less "boring," get it. It's a great device, but so is just about every phone out there.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Nothing's smooth, intermittent freezing, stuttering, sometimes I wait 1-2 seconds for an app to start to open, even if that app was already open in my cache. I've already reset the device twice. I'm on my second VZW G4. Same laggy experience with both, however, i had an International version that ran perfectly. It's the reason i bought the VZW version, so I could use it on Verizon, so I know the G4's not laggy, but the Verizon flavor is. If you don't see the lag, consider yourself lucky.

These are the same issues I had with the G3 when it first came out, so I'm assuming it's the VZW version. It's there for mine, and so was the G3 for me.

Is there something you downloaded causing this "lag"?

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, maybe that's the problem? A rogue app? How long after reset did you use it before installing any non-stock apps, and do you recall noticing lag then as well?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Is there something you downloaded causing this "lag"?

Nope. Lag is there from the beginning prior to installation of any apps. Like I said, this is my 2nd VZW G4 and my 3rd G4. Both VZW phones are laggy. The original International Version was fine. No issues.

I'm not the only one using the VZW variant that is experiencing lag, I'm just the only one responding on this thread...

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Let's get back on track here,

What did you do?

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I say if you like the s pen, go with the note. If you like a better camera, no lag, go with the g4. My two cents