Static Box

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been super happy with my LG G4 but last night an issue might have arouse! I was taking a few pics and noticed that half of the screen was a static box with traces of red and teal pixels. This was on the gallery view of the pic I just took. After that, it happened several times in Facebook and Firefox. Then the pull down notification pane would only bring down half of the pane! This happened several times! I was really freaked out. I updated my Sprint account and PRL, checked for system updates and firmware updates and rebooted. I also updated a few of the apps I use most from the Play Store. It did the static thing a few more times but seems to have stopped now! The phone also got real warm when this was going on. I wonder if it was just running something in the background at the time? It seems fine now but I am watching it like a hawk!

What do you guys think it could be? Should I see about a warranty replacement?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I think your guess could be right. Maybe there was some app going wild in the background. If the same thing happens again you could check your battery stats before charging and see if any app is taking an unusual high percentage. Also booting the phone in safe mode will define if there's a problem with your system or just a conflict with an app you downloaded.

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
This is what the static box looked like...it covered about 1/4 of the lower right side of the screen. Happened too fast to grab a screen shot but I found this pic on Google Images:

Attachments

• o-FACES-OF-FACEBOOK-facebook.jpg
    o-FACES-OF-FACEBOOK-facebook.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Whatever it is I think you ought to tell Sprint about it so that they'll know when the problem started. That will make any future warranty claim easier should there be a recurrence. Also, if it does occur again - hopefully not - try to grab a screenshot.

Edit: I posted the above before Javier P's reply and your screenshot. I've seen that effect myself on my G3. It occurs on part of the screen, only when using one app, though I can't now remember which app. I don't know what causes it, but in my case, it's not troublesome.

...I've an idea it was M2 App Monitor, which I haven't used for a long time. But I just fired up the G3 and tried, and it was fine.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
This is what the static box looked like...it covered about 1/4 of the lower right side of the screen. Happened too fast to grab a screen shot but I found this pic on Google Images:

That looks like the "vertical split" issue reported by a few people (see the Common Issues and Solutions sticky) except it's horizontal. So far I haven't seen a solution. I've had it happen once in 2 months.

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
It's been a few days now and I haven't seen this happen again...hopefully it was just a fluke! Maybe the next update will address vertical split issues! I really don't feel like doing a factory reset or exchange!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood