How do I fix the constant searching of Wi-Fi on my LG G4?

Daveoct117

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
My LG G4 (international) has been continuously searching for Wi-Fi. I was not able to return it because this problem came up a month after I bought the phone. I've done a factory reset, went to 3 phone repair shops, and even called LG's customer service line. A couple of the repair shops said it's either an issue from the motherboard or software, both of which, they would not be able to repair. When I called LG, an Indian chick came on the line who sounded like she was reading from a script. The call was completely impersonal and her manager said I would not be able to get a repair or refurbished device because its the international version! I'm one of the many G4 owners with this issue. Does anybody know what I need to do next? or should I wait until LG is sued for selling lemons for $600 bucks?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Welcome! If you are referring to being in Settings>WiFi and seeing "SEARCHING" displayed about every 10 seconds, then there is nothing you can do about it...that's the way this phone works. My guess is that all phones (at least all on 5.x) work this way, but most probably don't display the message. I can tell you that it doesn't appear to effect the phone's battery, as mine (and most others here) get a solid days usage out of the device.

If I've misunderstood you, and your problem is not as I described, I guess you need to reword what the problem is.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
We need a better description of the problem.

You have the WiFi system turned on. (You can turn it off.)
The phone is searching for a signal to use and is not finding one. (Is there actually a signal to find?)
If the phone found a signal, did you select it and finish the login/connection process?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah we're going to need more information on your problem. As stated above, if you're talking about the "SEARCHING..." message that pops up periodically when you have the Wi-Fi settings open, that's how it's supposed to work. When that screen is open, the phone periodically refreshes the list of nearby wifi networks that are broadcasting their SSID. If it's something else then you'll need to be a bit more specific for anyone around here to try and help.

Funky Diver

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried changing your SSID for one of the broadcast frequencies in your router? Say add 5 to the end of the 5 GHz SSID then pair to it. The phone will search for the strongest and cleanest WiFi signal, if both your router frequencies are the same SSID it may be trying to bounce between the two? Just a thought.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried changing your SSID for one of the broadcast frequencies in your router? Say add 5 to the end of the 5 GHz SSID then pair to it. The phone will search for the strongest and cleanest WiFi signal, if both your router frequencies are the same SSID it may be trying to bounce between the two? Just a thought.

I've had this setup on my router since the 2nd day with my phone (my first 5ghz phone) and I wonder if not doing this is the cause of many people's WiFi issues.

Daveoct117

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
The WiFi used to cut in and out and was slower than 4g but then a month later, the WiFi decided to take a permanent vacation to lollipop island and now I cant turn any of the switches on or off. It's endlessly searching no matter where I am, so it's definitely the phone. Maybe these screenshots will help...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-38-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-38-20.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-38-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-38-11.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-38-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-38-29.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-38-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-38-35.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 34

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The WiFi used to cut in and out and was slower than 4g but then a month later, the WiFi decided to take a permanent vacation to lollipop island and now I cant turn any of the switches on or off. It's endlessly searching no matter where I am, so it's definitely the phone. Maybe these screenshots will help...

I know this is always a PITA, but if it was my phone, I'd do a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it, your wifi is broken, so your only option is to send it back to LG for warranty repair (I think it's about a 2 week turnaround). They're going to make you do the factory reset before they let you mail it in for service anyways, so you might as well do it before you even bother calling them. It may even fix the problem.

As a side note, this is why I always buy my phones from a carrier. They tend to be much better about providing replacements in the first year, so you never have to deal with the manufacturer.

kittykt

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Have you got this problem resolved yet? I'm in the same boat. Bought an unlocked international version on Amazon, and now the WIFI is acting up. It has been working well for 3 months. Can't use wifi at all now. Don't know what to do!

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Mine acts up randomly (on Verizon), and sometimes doesn't automatically connect. I used up 99% of my data the other day when I thought I was uploading a big batch of photos via WiFi, but found out they all uploaded via my 4G network :(.

Last edited:

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Usually people have this problem is because
1) They have a carrier version that uses some kind of connection optimization to save mobile data bandwidth. But you have international version.
2) Some installed battery app that tries to turn on WiFi to optimize battery usage. But you did factory reset.

Have you tried to disable location service or set it to not use WiFi? Maybe Google updated its map app or whichever to try to turn on your WiFi when you are using high accuracy location.

kittykt

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Nothing's worked so far. I recorded a video to show you what it's doing. When my data runs out this phone will be a piece of junk without Wifi :(

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Welcome! If you are referring to being in Settings>WiFi and seeing "SEARCHING" displayed about every 10 seconds, then there is nothing you can do about it...that's the way this phone works. My guess is that all phones (at least all on 5.x) work this way, but most probably don't display the message. I can tell you that it doesn't appear to effect the phone's battery, as mine (and most others here) get a solid days usage out of the device.

If I've misunderstood you, and your problem is not as I described, I guess you need to reword what the problem is.

Is this normal behavior? Settings->WI-FI-> click on the active WI-FI ssd, Every 15 seconds "Searching..." appears just to the right of the SSID/Connected.
I have everything disabled related to WI-FI searching, open networks.

Kati77

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
I had similar issue after reading about the location possibly searching i looked into my location setting and it was the issue. Scanning Wi-Fi for better location I turned it off and my scanning....ended. GL