Trip to Ireland approaching, can I use my phone?

Nunya Biz1

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Trip to Ireland approaching

Love the 16 MP camera on the phone. Traveling to Ireland next week and my question is- should I go through the trouble of borrowing my son's Nikon D3100 or just rock along with the camera I have now?? Getting to him will be a long story.....

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Trip to Ireland approaching

My vote is for the G4....travel light and unencumbered. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site

A DSLR with good glass is going to get you better results than any phone, period. It's up to you if you want to carry that big thing around though.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

I just got back from a trip, I had my G4, and my Nikon P7700 (an "advanced" P&S, for lack of a better description).

I took a bunch of pictures on the G4. But I used the Nikon for the "important" stuff, it was what I preferred to use.

One obvious difference is the lens. The G4's wide-angle lens (in 16:9 mode) is great for landscapes, it took the attached picture. But frankly, it leaves a lot to be desired if your subject is smaller/further away. You'll end up with a picture of a small subject against a large background :)

The SLR will likely have a more-useful flash, for when you're in dimmer lighting. It will also offer more useful modes (scenes modes, aperture-priority for depth-of-field control, etc). And the image quality should be better (better lens, larger image sensor).

The G4 was great to have in my pocket. I used it a bunch for quick-photo opportunities, if just walking around with my "real" camera still in its bag. The large aperture of the lens, combined with OIS, let it do surprisingly well indoors, if the subject isn't moving. Also, its HDR mode gives better results than the one on my Nikon. The GPS tagging of the pictures can also be nice, if trying to remember later where a picture was taken.

But I would have missed a lot of nice pictures if I only had the G4. Anything far away would have been just a spec in the picture.

Attachments

• 0905151932.jpg
    0905151932.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

Love the 16 MP camera on the phone. Traveling to Ireland next week and my question is- should I go through the trouble of borrowing my son's Nikon D3100 or just rock along with the camera I have now?? Getting to him will be a long story.....
The catch here is that we need to clarify your question.

By "can I use my phone", are you asking about your carrier's radio equipment in the phone and whether or not it is compatible with the communication system in Ireland? If that is your question, then we need to know what cell company you are with.

If you are just asking about your G4 camera vs a small DSLR, that has already been answered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781