New Verizon G4 Update

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
What's your issue with this? I'm curious as I have this installed.

I just don't like the status bar cluttered with numerous icons and such. There's already too many with the time, battery bar, % (I know, I can turn it off, but I'm not good at guessing what % is left), cell signal, 4gLTE icon, wifi, alarm clock, bluetooth (so I don't have to manually turn it on every time I get into the car), and NFC (for Android pay, if/when people begin accepting it).

For me, it's just too much. I know I can run a launcher and hide the status bar, or root and do some stuff, but I don't want to go through all of that. I tried the launcher, etc. and something screwed up my phone to where I couldn't send MMS photos - FDR fixed that and I'm gunshy to really modify much more, as I don't know what caused it in the first place (app or setting).

/shrug, just my ridiculousness. Lol

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I just don't like the status bar cluttered with numerous icons and such. There's already too many with the time, battery bar, % (I know, I can turn it off, but I'm not good at guessing what % is left), cell signal, 4gLTE icon, wifi, alarm clock, bluetooth (so I don't have to manually turn it on every time I get into the car), and NFC (for Android pay, if/when people begin accepting it).

For me, it's just too much. I know I can run a launcher and hide the status bar, or root and do some stuff, but I don't want to go through all of that. I tried the launcher, etc. and something screwed up my phone to where I couldn't send MMS photos - FDR fixed that and I'm gunshy to really modify much more, as I don't know what caused it in the first place (app or setting).

/shrug, just my ridiculousness. Lol

Lol I hear ya.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
All these new security updates basically render most of the various "task manager" apps useless. A few still work but something has changed for sure in any model android phone that just got this security update it seems from the various apps play store review comments..

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
All these new security updates basically render most of the various "task manager" apps useless. A few still work but something has changed for sure in any model android phone that just got this security update it seems from the various apps play store review comments..

I thought task killers were not good for Android to begin with.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I thought task killers were not good for Android to begin with.

They're not, but depends on what he meant. A task manager is a bit more vague. That could include things like turning Wi-Fi on and off based on location, volume customizations, and the like. Those things can be helpful to some people.

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Those not getting junk apps, do you perhaps have DT Ignite debloated or disabled? From what I understand, that is an app that quietly installs junk on your phone.

Yes, I have DT Ignite disabled....and, I did not receive the extra apps. So, I think that I will keep it disabled :)

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Anyone having android wear issues since the update? MY G Watch R isn't working well for the last few days.

YES! Thought I was going crazy.... or at least my Moto 360 1st edition is. Since the update it has been turning on and off randomly when connected to my phone. Works fine when disconnected.

David

iresq

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
For those with problems with Wi-Fi notifications, it seems to be a ipv6 bug and the way to fix it is to disable ipv6. One way to do that is to use a VPN which will disable ipv6 and use ipv4. The other way is for those without root, you can fix this issue without root by using the app DNSet from the Google Play store. You hit 1 button (the one and only button), and it turns off IPv6, and problem solved.

The DNSet fixed notifications but broke Textra MMS. To fix MMS, setting, MMS Advanced, MMS Behavior, System.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The DNSet fixed notifications but broke Textra MMS. To fix MMS, setting, MMS Advanced, MMS Behavior, System.

Yep, that'll do it.

Despite not having the router in question back when this issue originally occurred (Comcast was it, or AT&T?), I tried out DNSet more as a potential tweak. Little did I know, my MMS messages weren't getting through. SMS did, so I figured they all did.

I just uninstalled DNSet back then, but now that it seems the issue is more widespread after the last update, I installed DNSet and looked immediately in the Textra settings for MMS. Was happy to find it's an easy fix.

Last edited:

OrangeScuba

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Today is Sunday 10/18/15 and my Verizon LG G4 still has no update (last one from August).

What's up with that?

Same here... I have no idea what update everyone is getting. My phone says I've got the latest. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Posted via the Android Central App

bkrickles

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Today is Sunday 10/18/15 and my Verizon LG G4 still has no update (last one from August).

What's up with that?

Verizon pulled the 12a update from 10/9 because of the reported wifi sync issues. The rest of the update was solid, especially improving on the touchscreen issues that many were having. I have little hope, but maybe verizon will grace us with a new update in the near future that fixes the wifi sync. But I'm not holding my breath.....

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Verizon pulled the 12a update from 10/9 because of the reported wifi sync issues. The rest of the update was solid, especially improving on the touchscreen issues that many were having. I have little hope, but maybe verizon will grace us with a new update in the near future that fixes the wifi sync. But I'm not holding my breath.....

Well it's nice to know now that I have the issue lol

OrangeScuba

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site

Hmmm... and all this time I was blaming it on the Glass screen protector the sales clerk talked me into buying.

Posted via the Android Central App

talonsmith

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else keep getting "your plan is not eligible for international calling" everytime you call another verizon customer or sometimes when checking voicemail? It even has a little person icon on top. This only started since the update.

acraftylady

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else keep getting "your plan is not eligible for international calling" everytime you call another verizon customer or sometimes when checking voicemail? It even has a little person icon on top. This only started since the update.

Not seeing that on my phone when calling. I use the visual Voicemail so seldom dial in for that. Mary