Not a case - a back with grip?

bettylo8

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know of a back (not a case) for the LG G4 that has grip? Not the leather ones. More like the old backs of a Galaxy 2 or 3.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
You are looking for a back cover with some type of rubberized grip to it, it seems the focus is on leather (this year) or shiny smooth plastic backs. I would suggest checking out eBay, or even http://dx-box.com they carry a wide range of accessories.

bettylo8

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks but I was hoping someone could provide me with a hotlink to a specific back. I have had two plastic backs and one leather and they are all too slippery.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks but I was hoping someone could provide me with a hotlink to a specific back. I have had two plastic backs and one leather and they are all too slippery.

Don't think there are any aftermarket backs to be had. Just cases. Which leather back did you have?

LG NitroHD G2 G3 G4

bettylo8

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I had the Orange Leather OEM. To be honest I don't like any of the backs. The plastic ones are so slick and the leather one wasn't any better. The Orange made it look like a basketball. I don't get all these electronic devices the very first original Nexus 7 had the best rubberized back and the critics hated that because they said it looked cheap. The new IPhone and the Galaxy is just as bad as the LG G4. I wonder why they don't make it with grip - makes no sense to me. Cases are a pain - plus with this LG G4 I change my batter 3 times per day (two stretches of 6 hrs plus one more for the remainder). I don't see how anyone uses a LG G4 with a case because of the battery swap.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have 7 leather backs and I find if you wipe them down with rubbing alcohol you get a better grip.

LG NitroHD G2 G3 G4

bettylo8

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I just ordered a carbon skin from icarbons.com - I had purchased the same skin for a tablet and it was fine. It's still not gribby though (it's just not slippery). To bad they don't make a skin that has great grip.

bettylo8

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I purchased a carbon back because that was that is my only real option. I've owned the same skin that I used for a tablet. I wouldn't call it grippy but I wouldn't call it slippery. So it's better than nothing. I just don't get why no one makes one with real grip.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Gonna try that alcohol tip and see how my red leather feels after. At least the leather isn't as slippery as the plastic, though.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Same issue I have. I don't want a case, but the plastic back is too slippery. I'd much prefer the rubberized backs that I had on the Palm Pre and Droid 3. Too bad other people are more vane than they are practical...

In any event, I got a Spigen that seemed to be one of the slimmer cases, with a rubberized surface. It definitely increases the grippiness, but still isn't perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4782150

I've also wondered if a guy could get some specialized "grippy" spray paint and just spray a spare cover to increase grip...

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I have the red and orange leather. The grain on the orange makes it a little grippier, albeit not perfect. I tried using leather conditioner on both, with no change. But I have not tried using alcohol.

I have the Spigen Slim case, it has a matte finish which is easier to grip than the smooth plastic back. I like it, with minimal bulk, and it comes off easily.

Hopefully the stick-on skins for the plastic back will improve the feel, without adding size or making battery changes more difficult.

bettylo8

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I think this issue is more pronounced on the LG G4 because of the curved back. It is basically trying to leave your hands. I think I'm going to take "Suntan"s advice and paint one of my plastic backs. I have some paint that I used on our fireplace that has sand (like sand) in it. That would give it texture until it wore off.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't use something with silica particles (sand texture) I would probably start with a can of black plasti-dip. It can always be peeled off if it doesn't look good.

bettylo8

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
To wrap it up I went with the Icarbon carbon skin. It really is nice and seems to give the right amount of grip. I went with the black over a white back plate that I had and it has this classic look (like an oreo cookie). The best look for this phone that I've personally had. I've had the orange leather, the gray leather, the white plastic back and the gold plastic back. This is the best so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz