G4 jello shots

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've heard one of the downfalls of the G4 is stabilization during video recording is lacking, having a relatively bad jello effect. I'm still trying to nail down just which phone I want, so I'm wondering if it's really as bad as the reviews say? If so, is it something a software update could improve or would it be something I'd just have to live with?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I've heard one of the downfalls of the G4 is stabilization during video recording is lacking, having a relatively bad jello effect. I'm still trying to nail down just which phone I want, so I'm wondering if it's really as bad as the reviews say? If so, is it something a software update could improve or would it be something I'd just have to live with?

Yeah, you'll notice it for sure... if you're looking for it. I haven't yet come away from a video thinking, "wow, that jello thing ruined the video!" You'll notice it happen when you move the phone, not when your subjects are moving; as such, it's not something you'll see all the time.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard anything like that. On the contrary it has excellent optical image stabilization which makes video recording much more stable.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I found the DXo Mark report that mentioned it almost right off the bat, but then later reported it was still better than other flagships. That's why I started questioning the other reviews. They made it seem like the image stabilization didn't function on video recording because of it being so noticeable. Thanks.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Jello effect is common on pretty much any consumer video recording device. It isn't the phone, it is the design of the image sensor (made by Sony... who uses the same design in pretty much everything with a lens now-a-days.)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I got the phone and I see what the problem is. I don't think it's traditional jello from the rolling shutter effect like we're used to. It looks to me like it's the OIS adjusting the lens, but having a lot of lag and then over correcting with camera movements. I'm going to look into this a bit more, because I think an option to disable OIS for video would be great.

absolut20

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking about switching to a G4 but I've been reading a lot of concerns about the OIS as well. I shoot a lot of videos of my son and wonder if this will be a problem. Does anybody else find the OIS to be a problem when taking videos where you need to pan around quickly?
Switching between a camera app and a separate videocam app that disables OIS seems painful.

Posted via Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
After some playing around with it, it's something I can get used to. For photos, OIS is fantastic. For video, it's always trying to keep the lens on point, so to speak. When you start to pan, it'll try to keep the lens pointed where it was until you physically move past its mechanical limits. Then it'll pan around ok, but you will see a noticeable delay from when you start panning until the image moves to match.

Once it's moving in a pan, it seems to be mostly ok with not much jello if your movements are smooth. If you're constantly jerking the phone about with abrupt changes, then you'll see more jello. If you really want to see something trippy, prop the phone up on something that is vibrating a lot so that it's also vibrating the phone. The view will look like the world is made of liquid swirling about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy