Just got a G4....is it just me, or does the earpiece speaker sound HORRIBLE?

Jonnythrice

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Hey all!

Just upgraded from an HTC ONE M7 to a brand new G4 (on Verizon). So far, I love the phone, and everything works great (especially the battery life!), but I just cant get over the fact that the earpiece speaker sounds HORRIBLE when speaking on the phone.

I don't know about you guys, but when talking on the phone, I can hear an audible "hiss" when the other person speakers (it is not there when they dont speak), and certain voices/frequencies make the speaker sound distorted, a bit like the speaker rattles. It's really annoying and I'm surprised that a phone of this caliber sounds this way.

Is this normal? Or should I take the phone back to Verizon? And if I do, will they give me a refurbished phone? I hope not!

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure that's not normal. Mine is crystal clear. When talking to others with high end phones it's outstanding. People on the other end of the line have remarked about how clear our conversation was.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar issue, thinking the speaker itself was blown. I couldn't hear anything most of the time, and what little I did hear was crackled and unintelligible. Took it to the Verizon store to see about a warranty exchange. He rebooted it into safe mode and made a test call. The speaker sounded fine then. Rebooted back into normal mode and still sounding good. Tried a third with HD calling disabled (wondering if that was part of the issue), and still good.

Don't know what the deal is, but I'd suggest trying to boot into safe mode and then make a test call. The rep said many flashlight apps have wonky code that causes this, but I didn't have one installed in the G4 since it has its own app. Good luck.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Figures. I got curious if mine was still ok, so tried a test call. Sure enough the speaker was crapped again. Rebooting normally fixed it without going to safe mode, so there's definitely a glitch. I'll poke about to see if there's more reports anywhere online. Thankfully most of my calls are on Bluetooth at least. Not that it makes the issue any less excusable. I tried with HD calling on and off, and the same with Wi-Fi to see if that changed anything. Nothing short of the reboot worked.

momo662

Banned
Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Try this: go to settings/networks/tap call then scroll down to "ongoing call" - check boxes for Noise Suppression and Voice Clarity.