New iSomething or Android for the wife?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You know what she'll likely use on the new phone. Maybe ask her to priroritize those things from most important on down. In that same vein, ask her what she most misses having on her flip phone (feature, app, whatever...she may not know). Ask her what she hates about her flip phone. You certainly have a good sense of some of that, but maybe not to the degree I'm suggesting.

They may not, but the answers to those questions could steer you even more strongly in one direction or another, even to a specific Android phone if she chooses that OS generally.

We all value different things, and weight them differently even if we value them. I know when I've steered my wife, son, best friends, etc. toward a new phone, those questions helped me recommend something that fit them well.

In the absence of that info, I'd also lean toward an iPhone (go with a marked down older gen if you can find one). Her iPad experience should make it a much easier transition.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
My best suggestion is to get your wife the same phone you have. That way you will be able to help her if she has issues. You will be able to help her through her learning curve. If she gets an iPhone all you will be able to tell her is you don't know anything about it. Get her a G4 - that's what I did for my wife- it will be better for both of you.
One problem with the G4 is the size. She likes small as possible to run with...don't think she likes the idea of strapping a big phone to her upper arm like I see some people who run.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
You know what she'll likely use on the new phone. Maybe ask her to priroritize those things from most important on down. In that same vein, ask her what she most misses having on her flip phone (feature, app, whatever...she may not know). Ask her what she hates about her flip phone. You certainly have a good sense of some of that, but maybe not to the degree I'm suggesting.

They may not, but the answers to those questions could steer you even more strongly in one direction or another, even to a specific Android phone if she chooses that OS generally.

We all value different things, and weight them differently even if we value them. I know when I've steered my wife, son, best friends, etc. toward a new phone, those questions helped me recommend something that fit them well.

In the absence of that info, I'd also lean toward an iPhone (go with a marked down older gen if you can find one). Her iPad experience should make it a much easier transition.

That's the way I'm leaning. Things she hates about her flip is the obvious PITA texting experience, and the voice quality of calls. After getting a real keyboard, wants on a new phone are mainly ability to find things on the Internet like a bus schedule when she's out and about. Of course, once she sees what she can do with a smart phone, I'm sure she'll branch out.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I got a Macbook Pro and a iMac and love 'em, can't see owning anything else except a Chromebook for hacking around some day. It's just Apple's phones that seem weird to me.

I really want to like iPhones because I like the size of the 5s and wish there was something one handed with Android but every time I pick up a friend's iPhone I put it down after a couple of minutes because I don't get what all the fuss is about...but that's just me.

How an iPhone is touted as easier to learn is what I have to figure out and have her play with. Problem is she gets frustrated with tech things when they don't work, and doesn't want to conquer it herself (at least at first). Tried to get her to use the fingerprint scanner on the iPad, but she couldn't get it to recognize her print, and gave up. I originally thought she'd just keep the flip phone and save the hassles of learning a smart phone, but she's determined to have the conveniences at her fingertips, and also feels like she's sitting at the Child's Table because I have one and she doesn't ;)..

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
My wife strongly resisted giving up her flip phone. After more than a year she will not give up her LG G4.
She had a long learning curve that is ongoing but she isn't looking back.

Posted via the Android Central App

I'm sure we will have a similar story...Just curious...G4 has only been out since June, right? How has she had it over a year?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
What about something like the Moto G3. That's what i got for my mom and my friends that just want something more simple. It explains a lot of things as you use them so I find that helpful. Also it isn't huge. Just a thought. It's usually my go to for easy use. My mom is 67, doesn't use a computer and just got this as her first smart phone and is fine. Easy peasy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87