Preventing a forced software update?

Coffee_Kaioken

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I am joining the growing crowd of Note 4 to G4 converts and love my G4. Granted I wished I knew of an easier way to spontaneously take notes than using QuickMemo+ as I don't want to take a screenshot every time I want to jot something down, but regardless -

The one thing that has killed performance on all phones I've liked (iPhone 5, Galaxy Note 4, etc) has been a software update that exceeds the phone's capability. Going from KitKat to Lollipop on the Verizon Note 4 was a mistake that I never could turn back from since Verizon installed a bootloader OTA, too. Same for the iPhone going through iOS 7, 8, etc;

When I got my LG G4, the phone was constantly prompting me to install a software update. I couldn't tell much information about what build or version it was, and once I hit "OK", there were no further checks - boom, update. Luckily it turned out fine, (software verison VS98611A), but I'd like to not get constant prompts or an automatic update in the future as I don't want to ruin the phone's excellent performance. Does anyone know how to stop the phone from doing this in the future?

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Go to settings ....general...about phone...and continue to update center. Under that setting just uncheck auto updates

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Both of those methods are unavailable, at least on the Verizon variant. I blocked it once on a different phone by rooting and changing something in the build properties so the updater didn't recognize my phone.

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Wow Verizon really does do a lot of stupid stuff to phones. If I lived south of the boarder, I would never even consider Verizon

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Both of those methods are unavailable, at least on the Verizon variant. I blocked it once on a different phone by rooting and changing something in the build properties so the updater didn't recognize my phone.
??? ...With rev 11a on Verizon you can root the phone. After that, freeze "System updates 1_14_10_0" in Titanium Backup to prevent the phone from looking for OTA updates.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
??? ...With rev 11a on Verizon you can root the phone. After that, freeze "System updates 1_14_10_0" in Titanium Backup to prevent the phone from looking for OTA updates.

Every phone is different. The one I mentioned was a Droid Bionic. I think the Note 3 you could download the update without installing it, then go in a certain way to delete the update file before it installed.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Huh? Droid Bionic? I don't understand what you are talking about. Two suggestions were given prior to your post. One of them was correct, but you stated that both of those methods were unavailable. Now you are talking about a 4 year old phone.

Root the phone, freeze System updates, no more ota update attempts. /thread

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The first suggestion about freezing the system updates didn't mention having to root first, so I figured it was again something that wasn't viable on the Verizon version of the G4.

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The first suggestion about freezing the system updates didn't mention having to root first, so I figured it was again something that wasn't viable on the Verizon version of the G4.

You do not need root to freeze or disable programs, just goto Settings -> Application Manager and disable it. That's the reason I provided both the app name and the apk name so you can find it. If you use Titanium Backup with root, it will show two things named System Updates so you will know which one is the correct one by looking at the apk name. I am using the Verizon Wireless VS986 version of the G4 with build 10b.

Should always search before posting questions.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/help/how-to-prevent-updates-g4-t3148650

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz