New VZW G4 Software Update 11/24/15

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
My email doesn't update on 4g ? Anybody else having this issues and what I could do to resolve it?

Is your WiFi auto-connecting? My email (stock app) would update every morning, then quit...I would check my email at work and see the last update was when I left the house, then when I got home, it would auto-update again. Then, I started noticing my WiFi at work was not connecting (I rarely use my phone at work so didn't notice). When I manually connected WiF, I got updates.

MikeS1971

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Hating my phone since this update. My main issue is its extremely laggy. Especially playing games and watching video. It jumps and sputters. When you select an app, it takes a second or two for anything to happen. I also notice that WiFi turns on by itself now. Even with it selected off. It turns itself back on. Any finally the screen brightness fluctuates. I have auto brightness turned off and the brightness set a 75%, but the screen brightness constantly changes its brightness. Not a lot. If I had to estimate it changes up and down 5% or so.

This is my fourth G4 and I'm really getting tired of its issues. First one just up and died while using the ebay app. Second on arrived with a bad headphone jack. Third one burned. It literally caught itself on fire while in my pocket. Now the fourth one does this. Verizon keeps sending me phones and I seem to be sending them right back.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Hating my phone since this update. My main issue is its extremely laggy. Especially playing games and watching video. It jumps and sputters. When you select an app, it takes a second or two for anything to happen. I also notice that WiFi turns on by itself now. Even with it selected off. It turns itself back on. Any finally the screen brightness fluctuates. I have auto brightness turned off and the brightness set a 75%, but the screen brightness constantly changes its brightness. Not a lot. If I had to estimate it changes up and down 5% or so.

This is my fourth G4 and I'm really getting tired of its issues. First one just up and died while using the ebay app. Second on arrived with a bad headphone jack. Third one burned. It literally caught itself on fire while in my pocket. Now the fourth one does this. Verizon keeps sending me phones and I seem to be sending them right back.

I'm assuming Verizon keeps giving you Refurbs? If so, demand a new phone, given what you've been through.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming Verizon keeps giving you Refurbs? If so, demand a new phone, given what you've been through.

Agreed. I wouldn't judge a phone based on refurbs, because I've had almost nothing but trouble from factory refurbs that weren't properly checked/fixed. The problem is I know Verizon will fight tooth and nail to keep from authorizing a new phone. Last time I talked to them about that, they said the manufacturers are cracking down on that. If the manufacturers would do a better job with repairs, they wouldn't so many repeat claims.

phgreen

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I was having no problems previously, but following the update the phone disconnects calls upon pressing the Answer button. Seems to not be a problem in safe mode. Seriously considering flashing to the Cyanogen ROM.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, they have. And I've been demanding new phones, but they wont send them.
I looked to see if there was a Lemon Law covering smartphones, and all I found was stories like yours, unfortunately. Have you tried asking for a higher up manager? Have you been with your carrier a while and plead what a loyal customer you have been, and how poor customer service it is to repeatedly send you refurbs that clearly haven't had much QC testing? Then threaten to change carriers. Some CS reps are great, others are total jerks that just read the company policy that all they send out are refurbished phones. Hope you eventually get something that works properly.

Katelyn1111

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
So I updated to the 13B and now my phone will not hold a charge longer than 2 hours. This is absolutely crazy. Please tell me I am not the only one, how can I fix this? Before the update I had a really good battery life.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Really weird how varied the posts are here on how the update affected their phones. Is it how the update interacts with the different apps they have installed? Hard to imagine the phone hardware is so different from phone to phone to cause previously normally functioning phones to go south, when so many see improvements :confused:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Really weird how varied the posts are here on how the update affected their phones. Is it how the update interacts with the different apps they have installed? Hard to imagine the phone hardware is so different from phone to phone to cause previously normally functioning phones to go south, when so many see improvements :confused:

Good question. Normally I'm the one who's phone goes south, even with "positive" updates. This time nothing horrible happened for me. I think my battery life increased some, but it also spent fix my touch screen issues (which I think are hardware related with electrical noise and low humidity).

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Well, I can say my current LG G4 is a refurb (my new one started having problems with the usb port), and I at the very minimum always clear the cache after an update. I dunno if this had any impact on the way my G4 took to 13B, but so far, so good.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

None of our phones are exactly the same. Between the unique collection of apps we each use and don't use, the tweaks we use or don't use, the coverage strength we have or don't have, the setting we have toggled on or off, or at different levels, etc...

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Nothing of note to report here.

I updated from 12A to 13B. I was able to uninstall DNSet and get notifications over WiFi again, but otherwise have seen virtually no changes, good or bad. Which, all things considered, is good.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
None of our phones are exactly the same. Between the unique collection of apps we each use and don't use, the tweaks we use or don't use, the coverage strength we have or don't have, the setting we have toggled on or off, or at different levels, etc...

The Achilles Heal of Android ;).

jackeryan

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
One issue that I have found with my G4, regardless of the software, is my screen shuts down while I am on the phone and when I pull it away to look at the screen or enter a number prompt, the screen is still off. I just turn it back on, but I never had this issue with my G2. I love my G4 otherwise...

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I finally installed this update after reading all the mostly good reports here. Thanks to all who reported.

Is there a leftover instal templ file I can delete now that it is installed? If so, where is it?

I dislike growing "temporary" files whenever possible.

I took a screenshot of System Info b4 and after. Shoulda done the same with storage.

Jeaky Snap

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I actually work for a phone carrier and noticed our store's display LG G4 was stuck on the LG power up screen 3 days ago. Did a battery pull and all it would do is power cycle then freeze on the LG power up screen or the carrier power up screen and then restart. Tried the hardware button soft reset and that didn't work. Tried the hardware button factory data reset and that didn't even work, as in it would keep restarting before even wiping the phone. At most it would get to the "Android is Starting" screen where it says it is updating __ apps of 65 that is normally the screen you get when first turning on a G4, before it would freeze and restart. I chalked it up to the phone just going bad since the in-store demo loops have a way of really messing up any phone after awhile regardless of manufacturer. After waiting a month to do the update on my personal G4, I finally did it 2 days ago, and yesterday the exact same thing happened to my phone. Received an incoming text and it would not allow me to enter my lock code, then just started power cycling, freezing, then power cycling. Tried all of the same trouble shooting methods and nothing. Even called our technical support to see if they could remotely run a diagnostic but no-go because of the restarting. Now I'm stuck having to get a lame Certified Like New warranty replacement. I see customers come in all the time with update ravaged phones that need to be replaced. Just super blown it finally happened to me. Never had a single issue with my G4 before the update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21