Horrible battery life after latest VZW update

JeffSlay

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Got the OTA update from VZW yesterday to 13B. I was on 12A prior, with none of the issues people seem to be discussing here. Battery life was great. Now that I'm on 13B, my battery drains about 10% every 20 minutes, which is completely unacceptable. I swapped out the battery with the spare, and same thing happening. Anyone else experiencing battery problems since the update?

Wish I hadn't updated now, since my phone was perfectly fine prior to it.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Quite the opposite, actually. My battery life was already great on 11a, but now it is superb on 13b. Slightly noticeable improvement and the battery never heats up anymore. Impressive.

JeffSlay

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if they throttled the CPU to make the heating stop

That's the thing though, my phone is now running hot as well. Noticing now that emails also aren't syncing properly either. This update has totally screwed my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My phone is running much cooler after the update, and battery life has increased by about 50% according to GSam. So far, so good.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
What kind of battery life are you getting after the update?

After 12A, I was getting about 4 hours of SOT. With 13B I'm getting over 6 hours of SOT, and standby time has seemingly doubled. Right now, my VS986 is operating as I hoped it would when I bought it back in June.

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
What's 11a,12a,13a
The version of the software... 10-19 are all Android 5.1 aka Lollipop, 20-29 will be Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
10b was the first version for Verizon Wireless, 11a was the 2nd version, 12a was the 3rd version that got pulled because of problems, 13a didn't exist but probably had problems so they went with 13b instead.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
After 12A, I was getting about 4 hours of SOT. With 13B I'm getting over 6 hours of SOT, and standby time has seemingly doubled. Right now, my VS986 is operating as I hoped it would when I bought it back in June.

I agree Standby battery life on 13B is now ridiculous. First day I was still at 93% after 10 hours, I'm now going into Day Three and still have 58%! I do turn my phone off at night, but for my usage, this thing now gets about a full day longer on a charge:D. Has anyone dug into what Verizon did to get this? Some kind of way to turn off all background apps? Maybe it's a taste of Doze Mode from Marshmellow?

*Update* I have not charged my phone since the update on November 24th, and the battery still shows 40%. I turn it on on at 5:00 AM, and off every night around 7:00. I don't have a lot of apps, but do have a few of course. I run Location Services at High Accuracy, WiFi and Network always on.
The phone sees light daily use, maybe 4 or 5 calls, and not too much else, on average, and probably have used the camera, email, texts, Pandora or maps less in the last 4 days than usual. But still at 40% charge after 4 days? Pretty big change for the better!

Last edited:

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, battery life on this update has been outstanding now that things have settled in. Finished a 12 hour shift in a hospital notorious for being a phone signal black hole with 82% battery today. Thats about 25% better than average for me. Not a lot of screen time at work but lots of texting and calls.

Also seems to lock onto GPS signal much quicker and hold it better.... seems like it flashes "finding signal" much less often and for a much shorter duration.

David

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
VZW G4 received the update yesterday.

In just 1 day, I can already see a noticeable improvement in battery life.

Wondering what else got fixed or improved? :)

Unfortunately, the new update did NOT solve the heat issue on the back
of the G4. It seems just as warm(if not warmer) as before, especially
around the rear buttons and camera area.

Last edited:

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing though, my phone is now running hot as well. Noticing now that emails also aren't syncing properly either. This update has totally screwed my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

I swear my G4 now feels warmer than before. :( prior to the update, it got warm, but never uncomfortably warm. not it so warm that I have serious concerns.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith