No data when on call

cootiesboy

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I got a question. I'm on Verizon currently and my phone doesn't have data when I'm on a call. But when I had my lg G3, I had data when I had calls. I'm just wondering if I need to activate something in order to get that feature back.

I have unlimited data right now and don't want to lose it because I see from the forum that if you add anything or change anything on your plan, your data will be affected. I hope this is a myth.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Advanced calling is the feature, have to activate it on the phone and on my verizon. If you G3 worked, it probably is already on the account so you'd just need to go to settings > cellular networks and turn on "enhanced 4G LTE Mode or whatever it is called on your device.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
On the Verizon version, there's an Advanced Calling option in the main settings. Go into that to turn it on.

Basically what's going on is the radio can only do one thing at a time. Handle a traditional call, or mobile data. In older CDMA phones that could do both, they had two radios. One for calls and one for mobile data. The reason turning Advanced Calling on works is because those calls are now handled as mobile data (similar to VOIP calls), so the radio treats it just like any other data transfer. This only works on the LTE network. If you get into an area that drops to 3G or less, Advanced Calling won't work and you'll lose the ability to do both at once. You'll still be able to make calls, only they won't be handled as data.

With Verizon, calls made with Advanced Calling are still counted as minutes according to your plan. People with data caps don't have to worry about going over. Advanced calling does also allow video calls. The video portion would be counted against your data allotment unless you're on Wi-Fi.