Any tips for shooting videos on the G4?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Shooting Video On The G4

My wife is away for business, and our daughter's 4th grade chorus performance is tomorrow night. So, I'll be shooting it on video with the G4 so my wife can see it.

While I've taken billions of photos at this point, I've not shot anything with the G4 video camera as yet. So, any really quick tips for a first timer are appreciated.

The environment is as you'd guess: dark school auditorium with spots on stage. I'll get as close as I can, but likely will still sit in the audience.

I have a mini tripod to help steady the G4, and I purchased a Dayton Audio iMM 6 mic to plug in for hopefully improved sound. The iMM 6 is actually made to be a calibration measurement mic, but I saw more than a few customer reviews where folks said they used it as a regular mic to record vocals and such. It was only 20 bucks, and rated more highly on Amazon than the other mic I was considering (70 bucks and not as highly rated). We'll see. I plan to test it out here at home tonight to see if I notice any difference in sound quality. I figure the sound quality is mnore imnportant than the video under these conditions/circumstances.

Anyway, as I said, any quick tips for me will be appreciated. Is there an app or apps that I should grab?

Thanks!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Shooting Video On The G4

If you plan to use 4K mode, I've read it's limited to 5 minutes. It also doesn't allow simultaneous pictures. If you plan to record a longer amount of time or want the option to take pics while recording, go with the FHD (1080p) mode. You'll also want to lock the focus to prevent it from trying to refocus unexpectedly mid shot.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Stock Camera app does well it the setting you will be in. There will be plenty of light on stage to catch it all.

and like Mooncatt said, 1080p mode is good enough.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, good call on the mic because from what I've read, seen and heard online and with my own videos is the on board sound isn't very good. You'll def benefit from the upgraded mic!

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Stock Camera app does well it the setting you will be in. There will be plenty of light on stage to catch it all.

and like Mooncatt said, 1080p mode is good enough.

I'n thinking that regular ol' (720P) HD may be good enough.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I just did a quick and hardly scientific test of the iMM 6 external mic. The quality of my own voice behind the camera is definitely better. Of course, that's right there and hardly an indication of how it will capture sound from the stage in the distance.

My sense is the mic is cleaner and a bit more bassy. I'm going to have my daughter stand across the room and sing or something later on.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to adjust the input level of the mic? There is no software for the mic itself. I can attach earbuds to the mic when plugged in to the phone, to listen to the input. However there's no value added if I can't actually adjust the input level.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca