A little late to the party, but...

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
So, you're about to see a little bit more of me soon. I just pulled the trigger on a G4 and it should be here in a few days.

I'm currently on a Windows Phone (Lumia 830), but decided to make a change. I haven't used, or kept up with, Android since my 2012 Nexus 7...Looking forward to having some fun.

Carry on. :)

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome. Its really nice here. I came from a huge jump HTZ ZMAX. The front facing camera for selfies jumped from 1.6 mp to 8 mp and rear camera from 8 mp to 16 mp just to name off how much of an upgrade it is for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome aboard. :)

I don't think you could have chosen a better current Android device, or at least, not substantially so. Enjoy. :)

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome, folks. ;)

It was supposed to be delivered yesterday: Delayed due to weather.

Supposed to be delivered today: I won't be around.

LOL. And that's why I don't like shopping online. ;)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome. Its really nice here. I came from a huge jump HTZ ZMAX. The front facing camera for selfies jumped from 1.6 mp to 8 mp and rear camera from 8 mp to 16 mp just to name off how much of an upgrade it is for me.

Don't forget you also gain optical image stabilization on the rear camera and RAW photo support. You're in for a heck of a treat with the camera.

And enjoy the party.

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget you also gain optical image stabilization on the rear camera and RAW photo support. You're in for a heck of a treat with the camera.

And enjoy the party.

Yep. Even though the 830 has a great camera (RAW, OIS, etc). I'm looking forward to the G4's. A definite upgrade.

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Welp...Picked up up the phone yesterday morning and spent most of the day playing around.

Disappointingly, it hasn't blown me away. It's been a few years since I've used Android, so early frustration is part of it. There's a learning curve. But...

1) Styling. Probably been talked about a lot, but even with the black leather back it feels cheap in the hand and I don't find it comfortable to hold.
2) WiFi is unreliable. I'm never sure if it's connected or not unless I try to pull some data. I'll do a couple things with my router.
3) I was probably expecting too much from the screen, but it's nothing special. It looks as good as any other to my eyes.
4) I wasn't sure about buttons on the back. I can now say I'm not a fan. Almost dropped the phone a couple of times trying to reach them. And I have big hands.
5) This is my own fault: according to XDA this model (H812) can't be rooted. I was looking forward to playing with custom ROMs etc. I didn't research well enough.

But, and this is huge, the phone is fast and lag free. There are some issues with vertical scrolling in some apps (Play store is horrible...but, I think that's the app and not the phone as it does the same thing on my old nexus 7). Haven't played with the camera much yet, but I don't have concerns there.

Anyway, long story short, I have two weeks for making a return, so I'll give it some time before I make a final judgement. But, as I said, I'm disappointed thus far.

Ah well. :)

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi there. I think I know what you mean about the screen. It is an amazing screen but unfortunately it is designed to be realistic.

I say unfortunately because supersaturated screens look sexy (ie Samsung). Sometime I wish LG would allow a toggle for supersaturated mode.

I bet after flipping back and forth we would mostly set the screen on "natural mode" because we would realize that supersaturated is kind of blingy.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I am hoping that they'll eventually add toggles for sRGB and AdobeRGB colour gamuts (and that they calibrate screens for both!). That way you would have accurate colour rendition not only for the legacy colour space but also for a much wider colour gamut such as AdobeRGB instead of the oversaturation without calibration that most AMOLED screens provide. The 6P actually has a toggle for 'sRGB' in the developer settings, but the 'non-sRGB' mode that this toggle implies is presumably whatever the AMOLED will default to without adhering to a widely accepted standard such as AdobeRGB.

Last edited:

enots27

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome. I have had my g4 for about a month and loving it so far. I came here from the crackberry side of mobile nations.

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
As for the screen: I think phone screens are the new camera MB wars. I got sucked in by the hype as was expecting magic. :) That said, it's a great screen (I prefer natural over saturated).

And, in regards to my last post above, the phone has started to quickly grow on me after a few days of use. The fact that it's super fast (from my point of view, at least) and has a great camera is enough reason for me to love it.

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Go outside in bright sunlight and tell me your not impressed with the display. I sure am coming from a Galaxy S4 that I loved.
6 Months into owning the G4 and I still love it.

Posted via the Android Central App using my LG G4