lg g4s manufactured before September have a defect

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I found a used Galaxy S5 that I have purchased and will use that as a backup if needed. I have been running with the replacement G4 since last Wednesday and it seems to be working fine. Even though I received this replacement from Verizon, I did contact LG and sent them (their third party) the original phone so they could attempt to repair it and also wipe it at the same time. They received that phone last Friday and it was apparently fixed and is already being shipped back to me as of today. I still plan to return my original G4 to Verizon since this replacement has been running fine. I also have heard that people are still having issues even after LG repairs the previously faulty models. So I don't trust that one any longer.

Now that I have read how LG knew of this problem months ago and only recalled devices sitting in stores and did not alert their existing customers, this will be my last LG phone. Some might think this is just a fluke and to give LG the benefit of the doubt. However, aside from this repair that they just completed for me I've had problems with their customer service in the past. And knowing that they ignored their customers with faulty phones hoping these devices would not go bad is enough to push me away from them. I never had problems with Samsung devices and I only decided to go to LG due to the specs on this phone. Cool features and top of the line equipment means nothing if devices fail and the company does nothing to warn people before data is lost and we are left with refurb's that could have various other problems.

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. When it comes to TVs, Samsung will not honor any warranty as they will always blame a well known problem on the shipment to the customer by the retailer. LG will fix it once and give you a full refund even if it's 12 months later.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Now that I have read how LG knew of this problem months ago and only recalled devices sitting in stores and did not alert their existing customers, this will be my last LG phone. Some might think this is just a fluke and to give LG the benefit of the doubt. However, aside from this repair that they just completed for me I've had problems with their customer service in the past. And knowing that they ignored their customers with faulty phones hoping these devices would not go bad is enough to push me away from them. I never had problems with Samsung devices and I only decided to go to LG due to the specs on this phone. Cool features and top of the line equipment means nothing if devices fail and the company does nothing to warn people before data is lost and we are left with refurb's that could have various other problems.
I bet you every one of these companies is guilty of this practice on one occasion or another, even the mighty Apple.

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I bet you every one of these companies is guilty of this practice on one occasion or another, even the mighty Apple.

I wouldn't doubt that. However this does seem like a fairly large defect that impacted many devices within a several month timeframe. So much of an issue that, at least according to a different thread, LG was recalling devices sitting in stores. I've yet to hear that type of action being done by another manufacturer in the past. And if LG was so concerned about defective hardware within their phones, why not at least warn their current customers that still had those phones that it would be a good idea to backup your device on a regular basis? I know this is a smart thing to do anyway but how many people really do it? Even with the best intentions, people get busy and forget and when a phone is working fine they'll go weeks without rebooting let alone plugging it in to ensure that nothing gets lost by a non working phone. This just falls back on LG as poor (rather NO) communication.

starbuck88

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Well it' been 2 weeks since I sent my G4 off to LG UK for it to be repaired.

2 weeks and I've not heard a bean, I've contacted LG support twice now to be told on both occasions, it's been sent off to a 3rd party repairer due to a backlog we have. We have no details on when you'll get it back.

This really isn't good enough now. I don't know what to do. All these big companies, you can't get through to anybody that can actually help give you any info.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well it' been 2 weeks since I sent my G4 off to LG UK for it to be repaired.

2 weeks and I've not heard a bean, I've contacted LG support twice now to be told on both occasions, it's been sent off to a 3rd party repairer due to a backlog we have. We have no details on when you'll get it back.

This really isn't good enough now. I don't know what to do. All these big companies, you can't get through to anybody that can actually help give you any info.

I had a frsutrating experience with another OEM not that long ago. It took 3 weeks of my calling, online chatting, calling, calling calling, and them never calling me back despite multiple promises to get a call back "within 24 hours."

Enough was enough.

I took to Twitter shaming them, tagging their support and main Twitter accounts each time. When I received the canned replies on Twitter, I responded in no uncertain terms that, no, I wouldn't contact them via DM, etc., that I wasn't going away until they fixed my issue, and that what I was asking was not unreasonable in the slightest.

My issue was fully resolved in less than 48 hours (which included a Fedex delivery).

It was ridiculous that it had to come to that, and it shouldn't have. I'm a reasonable guy, but don't screw with me.

The camera on the G4 is great, but the old OEM lost a loyal and otherwise prettty happy customer.

starbuck88

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Well, I've been on the phone to LG UK and found someone that seemed like they wanted to help and explained the situation. First time so far.

He let me know that yes my phone has gone off to an authorised repairer as they can't cope with the amount of G4 repairs they currently have in. He said the amount, actually isn't the problem as this does happen from time to time due to the holidays (Xmas).

The issue is, nobody has any new mainboards, LG UK and any authorised repairers for them don't have them either. So everybody is currently waiting on a shipment of them which is due within the next 2 weeks.

He said 80-85% of all repairs on phones, they have to change the mainboard, and he admitted the known big fault he said it compounded the issue with the general returns too, hence the shortage. He said they have had a bit of a mess on their hands.

I asked about refurbs, he said if only they could give out refurbs as people have been screaming for them apparently but he says that's not how LG UK typically work and everybody gets their own phone back, which I'm happy about to be honest.

So, he said they should know later today or tomorrow on a date for the shipment of mainboards and is going to email or call me to let me know tomorrow so I have a better idea of when I'll get my phone back.

It's actually improved my experience ten fold speaking to one helpful person. I'm happy I get mine back and with the latest gen mainboard too. Shame it's taking so long, but if they just updated me and told me this 2 weeks ago, I'd have been fine.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Well, I've been on the phone to LG UK and found someone that seemed like they wanted to help and explained the situation. First time so far.

He let me know that yes my phone has gone off to an authorised repairer as they can't cope with the amount of G4 repairs they currently have in. He said the amount, actually isn't the problem as this does happen from time to time due to the holidays (Xmas).

The issue is, nobody has any new mainboards, LG UK and any authorised repairers for them don't have them either. So everybody is currently waiting on a shipment of them which is due within the next 2 weeks.

He said 80-85% of all repairs on phones, they have to change the mainboard, and he admitted the known big fault he said it compounded the issue with the general returns too, hence the shortage. He said they have had a bit of a mess on their hands.

I asked about refurbs, he said if only they could give out refurbs as people have been screaming for them apparently but he says that's not how LG UK typically work and everybody gets their own phone back, which I'm happy about to be honest.

So, he said they should know later today or tomorrow on a date for the shipment of mainboards and is going to email or call me to let me know tomorrow so I have a better idea of when I'll get my phone back.

It's actually improved my experience ten fold speaking to one helpful person. I'm happy I get mine back and with the latest gen mainboard too. Shame it's taking so long, but if they just updated me and told me this 2 weeks ago, I'd have been fine.

I couldn't go that long. I'll take the referb in two days from T-Mobile here in the States any day. That's sucks about the motherboards. It's better to know, I guess.

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I received my original G4 back from LG today and they replaced the motherboard. The phone powers on now and as they explained it has been wiped. Due to others stating that problems still exist, and for the short time I had it on testing it out it got warm real quick, I am sending my original G4 back to Verizon and keeping the replacement that Verizon sent me last week. Hopefully everyone else is able to get a replacement, or the original repaired, quickly as well.

CellTheUltimateAndroid

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I've recently heard about this "bootloop" issue.
Well I've got the international (uk) h815 model and my serial number is 507. Ive had the phone for more than a month without any issues. I shouldn't have any issues in the future...right?

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to let you guys know, that when my bootloop happened I tried to clean the battery terminal. There was not much online when mine happened, the first week of December.. it had STOPPED bootlooping and wouldn't turn on anymore.. So I cleaned it with alcohol, some of which splashed onto my water damage indicator turning it pink. My phone turned on for about 30 seconds, then died again.. and never came on since. T-Mobile couldn't fix it and advised me not to send it in for "insurance" because it LOOKED like I got water in it. Though the workers there could see that there was no water damage. They said they can't be 100% sure that I won't be charged and told me to file a water damage claim and pay $350 instead of possibly paying my insurance deductible and an addition $350 if I tried to claim it. So I decided not to do that, because it was just cheaper out of pocket to upgrade to the V10 (free), and I did that. Meanwhile I still had my 5 month old G4 so I sent it to LG to fix it and wrote them a long handwritten letter explaining what I did to cause the pink and for them to check out the whole device to ensure I was being truthful. As soon as they received it, they repaired it and sent it back to me. I got it 4 days later and just gave it to my wife. It's working fine and they even put a new water damage 'sticker' on it. Thank God for the 12 month warranty. This was all free of charge. :)

So guys, if your stores won't fix it.. send it to LG. I'm sure they are getting a lot of them now.

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I chatted with Verizon tonight mainly to ask about various options for returning my "Like New" G4 and moving to a new phone. I have 18 months left on my device payment plan and the last time I approached them about this when I had the non-working phone still in my possession they told me I'd have to pay the remaining balance before being able to move to something else. Tonight, though, I was told that I would only have to pay 50% of the original price of the phone which for me the original price was $549.99. Once I have paid 50% then I can return the phone to them and get a different phone on a new device payment plan.

I have both chat sessions saved but I found it odd that this option was now available. Maybe this is a normal procedure for them but up until now I had not been told this. For the most part the "Like New" G4 I now have is working fine although I am dropping WiFi often. Not sure what that could be since two other phones are working fine and my original G4 didn't do this. Based on the chat tonight I could upgrade by paying just over $100 and then getting something new. I intend to wait a bit longer as I might look into the Samsung Galaxy S7 when it is released.

Thought I'd mention this for anyone else on Verizon that was looking for another less expensive option to getting out of the refurbished G4 that you might be currently using. It would be better if Verizon allowed swapping to a different model, even the Galaxy S6 would be great if it was a new phone, but I know that won't happen.

Edit: SIGH!!!
I instantly had doubts about what I was told earlier today so I started a new chat session and wouldn't you know the answer changed again. I am now requesting to speak with a supervisor. Waiting for the S7 might be too long since I may need to fight this one. I wasn't even planning to make this move now but thought this would be a good way to do it. Different answers by different people. And they wonder why so many people get frustrated with them.

Last edited:

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
My repair got sent back yesterday, got the fedex and LG emails overnight. The email from LG stated

Repair Results: Flash Memory

Is this what everyone's says or do some specify motherboard?

Ambrose Husser

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Yes mine keeps saying app has stopped or is not responding . It will also just throw. Me out of what ever I'm doing back to home screen,😕

Posted via the Android Central App

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My repair got sent back yesterday, got the fedex and LG emails overnight. The email from LG stated

Repair Results: Flash Memory

Is this what everyone's says or do some specify motherboard?

Mine's due to arrive back here tomorrow. The email says "Power freeze" as the defect and "Flash memory" for the repair. I'm not sure whether to be worried or not now since all the talk has been about motherboards (I know that would likely include the flash memory) & capacitors.

Joexon

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Listen, there is nothing misleading about this...I strongly recommend you back up your info from phone...especially if it was made in May 2015...the the S/N first three numbers is 505... My LG G4...without notice went straight into the re-boot loop hole..on 1/23/2016....just received my replacement...just back up your information..better play it safe.....why this it's happening...beats me....but the experience was weird indeed....never experience this before...

Posted via the Android Central App