Intermittent Wi-Fi disruption, how can I stop it?

DevilInPgh

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Intermittent Wi-Fi disruption

I know this has probably been said ad nauseum about this phone, but I'm experiencing intermittent interruptions in my Wi-Fi signal with the G4, with it starting only in the past 3 days (I don't know what could have triggered this to happen). I have disabled IPV6, updated the router firmware, turned off NFC on my phone, cleared Google Play data, and removed/added my network. I still have the problem. I know it's pretty much a phone issue because my tablet is fine and while I can access my Plex LAN with my tablet, I can't with my phone. So short of a hard reset or waiting on Marshmallow (which may be for a long time, as I'm on Verizon), does anyone know what to do?

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Intermittent Wi-Fi disruption

I know, for some reason, my 5ghz WiFi doesn't like my G4. I don't understand why as it shows good signal. I get slow speeds with it. So i just use 2.5ghz WiFi instead and all is well. I don't have any issues with the 5ghz with any other device, just my G4

DevilInPgh

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Do you know how to set that? I don't see to see any options allowing that. I have already done a hard reset, and that didn't help. I wouldn't be surprised if one of my neighbors turned on a network that started interfering with my phone, but then why isn't it interfering with the rest of my devices?

DevilInPgh

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I heard that wasn't possible with the G4. As it is, Verizon said they're replacing my phone, as it's a known issue.

theragtopman

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Same problem here and I'm on Sprint. I even bought a new wi-fi router a couple weeks ago and it didn't fix the problem for my G4. The new router did fix some other problems family members were having, but I'm disappointed to see my G4 still dropping wi-fi all the time. I too am using 5Ghz and I'll try the 2.4Ghz for now - thanks for the tip!

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

No problem. I like to share what works for me to others that need help as I am in the same boat.

DevilInPgh

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I was trying to see how I could set up that second SSID, but I don't think my router is able to do that. That being said, I did see that I could change my setting from compatibility mode to performance mode (forcing the router to broadcast with N only), and that seemed to have done the trick. Of course, I already have a new phone coming to me after I called Verizon earlier today and they said they would replace my phone.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

I was trying to see how I could set up that second SSID, but I don't think my router is able to do that. That being said, I did see that I could change my setting from compatibility mode to performance mode (forcing the router to broadcast with N only), and that seemed to have done the trick. Of course, I already have a new phone coming to me after I called Verizon earlier today and they said they would replace my phone.

Well its better now that you have found this so when you get the new phone, you won't have the fans issue.