Last percent

dazkil2103

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Anybody noticed that the phone gets to 99% charge then takes bout 5 mins to charge the final 1%. Psychologically I can't take my phone off charge so near 100%😄

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's normal, and using QC2.0 on both the G4 and M8 takes even longer on the final percent. I think one of the Battery University articles I read said something along the lines of the quicker the charge rate in the first stages, the longer the absorption stage will take.

I take mine off at 98-99% all the time. You don't really get much extra use from that final percent, so it's just not worth it for me unless I'm not doing anything with the phone and can let it sit.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
The power management IC slows down the charging rate quite a bit before reaching '100%' (which is just a voltage reading) to increase battery life. Once it reaches 100%, your phone will run on AC power, which increases battery life further as you are not wasting any discharge cycles. So it's well worth keeping the phone plugged in whenever you get the chance.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Once it reaches 100%, your phone will run on AC power, which increases battery life further as you are not wasting any discharge cycles. So it's well worth keeping the phone plugged in whenever you get the chance.
I disagree. A battery left plugged in, or even stored above about 75% charge level will deteriorate quicker, lowering the over all battery life. Fully charging with immediate use is fine, but you don't want to leave it plugged in all the time. Yes, the phone will stop charging when the battery is full, but it will then start to suffer over time. I used to keep one plugged in most of the day, thinking the same as you. That battery was toast in 6mo. Since learning more about lithium rechargeable and changing my charging habits, the batteries have lasted the life of the phone and longer with no noticeable loss of capacity. I currently have a Bionic that's over 4 years old and the battery on it is good as new even after being at a partial charge in storage for a couple years.

On the flip side, charging to a lesser amount than 100% can increase overall battery life even though it means more shorter cycles. Regular consumers aren't going to see much change vs fully charging because of how quick they change devices. It also means more wear and tear on the USB port/cables. So I don't suggest this practice unless you simply want the very best life out of the battery. A device with an integrated battery and wireless charging would be an ideal situation where lesser charging amounts would be a net benefit.

Since the G4 battery can easily be replaced, how you treat the battery isn't as much of a concern. When I had my M8, I babied that battery because it was integrated and wireless charging wasn't possible.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
From what I've read on the topic, and there's lots of differing opinions out there, you shouldn't store Li-Ion batteries in a fully charged state, but that refers to storing it, i.e. not changing its charging state for weeks and months. In a day-to-day situation, you'll discharge it long before you get there — unless you literally keep it plugged in and fully charged without ever moving it around. Battery University is a good source of information if you care enough about these things.

This article, for example, claims that charging your batteries slightly less than full (they say ~3.92V), and occasionally charging it all the way, will maximise battery longevity. They also advise you to discharge it only as little as 10-20% per discharge cycle. Interesting, but also quite inconvenient for most people. And overall perhaps not a pressing issue if you can buy a spare for $25.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR