LG G4 weird text notification issue, can I get some help?

MikeDeTiger

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
LG G4 weird text notification issue

I got a brand new LG G4 last week and am experiencing a problem with the audio notification for texts. I have browsed around the other threads on similar issues, however it appears that none of the listed problems are quite like mine, and none of the fixes have helped either. Let me say up front that the issue is not in the sounds settings, either in system settings or in the message app settings. I'll try to explain the issue as clearly as possible.

When I am in a text conversation and I shut the screen off, I will not receive an audio notification for an incoming text for that conversation only. I will receive audio notifications for any other incoming texts from any other message conversations, or any new messages starting a brand new conversation. Additionally, if I go back to the home page of the message app, or if I go to another app, or the G4's home screen, I will receive all audio notifications for texts, just as it should be. Basically, it works correctly unless I lock the screen while on a particular conversation, and then I will not receive notifications for that conversation only. It's almost like the phone doesn't recognize the screen is off, so it thinks I'm still looking at that conversation and will see the visual notifications. That would explain why all other texts coming in still make the proper noise. The simple work-around fix is to exit the screen after I've sent or received a message, but aside from being a glitch that needs fixing, it's highly inconvenient because sometimes I'm in a hurry or I just forget to go to another screen outside of the conversation. And if I remember to go to another screen, it also adds an extra step when the next message comes in, because instead of turning the screen on and already being in an ongoing conversation, I have to tap that conversation every time from the message app home screen.

I am using the stock message app that came with the phone, and I am a Verizon customer (not sure if that makes a difference). No 3rd party message apps. I had this same issue with my previous phone which was an LG Optimus G, so it makes me think there is some kind of glitch with LG somewhere.

I'm checking here to see if anyone has encountered this before and if there is a fix for it. If not, it's a mild warning for anybody looking at the G4's. I have missed a lot of texts because I forgot to go to another screen after sending or receiving a message.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: LG G4 weird text notification issue

I don't have an issue with this mainly because I always exit back to home screen before locking my phone(have V10 now, had G4 for 5 months before that, 3 other people have G4s on my account).

I will say this is not just relegated to the text app. It happens in WhatsApp as well. I actually had to remind my GF to make sure to either exit the conversation or exit WhatsApp before turning her phone off. She thought I stopped replying and when she turned her phone back on, she had countless messages from me, none of which made a sound.

I'm not sure there is a solution to be honest.

MikeDeTiger

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

Thanks tourbound.....at least I know it's not just me. It's pretty annoying. I may try a factory reset to see if that will help. I didn't actually try it out before I started downloading and installing my most-used apps. It could be that some app is causing a glitch. If a reset helps then I'll just have to pay attention and try it out app at a time and see if I can isolate what app is giving these LG phones that problem.

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

I'm with you on this as well but I don't think it's a reset problem. It happens to me on all communications. Textra, BBM, regular text etc... I've never checked email before or just didn't notice it. But when I keep these apps opened to the screen I'm on I get no notification, whereas with my BlackBerry I got them all the time

bluerobin

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I was irritated with this same problem when I got my G4. The G2 did not have this issue. Now, my phone has been updated to Marshmallow and I was texting with my daughter last night and I believe that even with her text window open, I was still receiving notification sounds when she would text me. So I am going to say that I believe this problem is fixed in Marshmallow.

MikeDeTiger

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

That would be great news, bluerobin. I hope Marshmallow is the answer. No word yet on when Verizon will roll out that update for the G4, but they are generally slow on that. This has been my only issue with the G4 so far.

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

I hope so too, be nice not to close the app just to know if someone is texting you back