LG G4 or Nexus 6

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I in order to get a really nice Android while also saving some money I will be purchasing my next smartphone in a "lower" condition.

The contestants are an LG G4 with a single line glass crack that runs from one side of the screen to the other and a Nexus 6 with some screen burn in.

LG G4 thoughts- I HIGHLY value the Camera which is why I'm looking at the G4. But a crack is worse than screen burn in and the phone being a Verizon device means I probably won't be able to get MMS or LTE on AT&T. So stuck with H+

Nexus 6 thoughts- The Nexus has a camera that is known to be quite worse all around in everything but I think it still holds its own. On the other hand it has a 6" screen which is something I'm happy about (coming from a Lumia 1520) and lacks the crack the G4 has.

So if you were in my position, which would you choose? :S

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'd go with the Nexus 6, especially if it's 64 GB. I had the G4 and currently using the N6 as my daily driver. Prefer the N6 due to built in wireless charging, bigger screen, pure Android, lag free experience and tons of mods and ROMs. The burn in can be fixed or at least minimized with Amoled burn in fixer app.

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I'd go with the Nexus 6, especially if it's 64 GB. I had the G4 and currently using the N6 as my daily driver. Prefer the N6 due to built in wireless charging, bigger screen, pure Android, lag free experience and tons of mods and ROMs. The burn in can be fixed or at least minimized with Amoled burn in fixer app.

I heard lots of people say the burn in worsens from those apps. Hmmm

I think I'm leaning more towards the N6...

Although the G4 camera just won't let me go nexus fully without feeling some withdrawal:/

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I heard lots of people say the burn in worsens from those apps. Hmmm

I think I'm leaning more towards the N6...

Although the G4 camera just won't let me go nexus fully without feeling some withdrawal:/
Probably depends on how bad the burn in is. Fixed minimal nav bar and status bar burn in. Now I hide status bar and nav bar to prevent burn in.

The G4 camera is great but I don't think I'd be able to live with a cracked screen.

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Probably depends on how bad the burn in is. Fixed minimal nav bar and status bar burn in. Now I hide status bar and nav bar to prevent burn in.

The G4 camera is great but I don't think I'd be able to live with a cracked screen.

Well it is only a single line crack. That's what makes this such a hard choice for me.

Im Broken

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I had a 6p for a few weeks and still prefer my g4. It's a big phone that doesn't feel big and has great features. I see myself sticking with this one a long time.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I avoid AMOLED screens at all costs, both for how easily they seem to burn in and don't like the color reproduction. Depending on where the crack is and how bad it looks, I'd lean to the G4. Assuming it's not interfering with touch response, of course.

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I avoid AMOLED screens at all costs, both for how easily they seem to burn in and don't like the color reproduction. Depending on where the crack is and how bad it looks, I'd lean to the G4. Assuming it's not interfering with touch response, of course.

It's in the middle of the display and goes from left to right. The phone touch still works

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's in the middle of the display and goes from left to right. The phone touch still works

I think I'd favor the G4 if I could get it at a sharply discounted price. No more than $150, but I'd try to shoot for $100 as your negotiating start point if it's in otherwise great condition. Of course, there's no telling what else may be wrong that was caused by whatever it was that cracked the screen, which is why I wouldn't pay much.

I just checked around lightly and found replacement screens going for less than US$60 as well as many DIY replacement tutorials. If you play your cards right, that could get you a great functioning G4 for around $200.

Without knowing the specifics of your offers on the table, I'm just making some general guesses. The G4 is such a nice phone that meets most of my desires that I'd be willing to do something like this if the price is right. If the seller wants much more than that, then you may as well seek out a new one at the current retail prices unless you are ok living with the crack.

russ8128

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have both. Based on what you value the most I'd get the G4. The camera is just so much better than the N6. This coming from someone who values the plain android experience of the Nexus line. Whenever I am going somewhere that I know I'll use the camera, I make sure I'm with the G4. They both have big screens (yes the N6 is larger). In hand the G4 is easier to hold due to the N6 width (why so wide?). One other note is to get each one of the screens repaired is a no brainerfor the G4. Replacing the N6 is a JOB! Call around to your local shops to get an estimate and you'll see the difference in price. Something I didn't know about until a friend of mine cracked his screen on the N6 - $280 repair!

russ8128

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have both. Based on what you value the most I'd get the G4. The camera is just so much better than the N6. This coming from someone who values the plain android experience of the Nexus line. Whenever I am going somewhere that I know I'll use the camera, I make sure I'm with the G4. They both have big screens (yes the N6 is larger). In hand the G4 is easier to hold due to the N6 width (why so wide?). One other note is to get each one of the screens repaired is a no brainerfor the G4. Replacing the N6 is a JOB! Call around to your local shops to get an estimate and you'll see the difference in price. Something I didn't know about until a friend of mine cracked his screen on the N6 - $280 repair!

Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair