The kinda-official LG G4 bootloop thread

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
And the faulty G4s keep on coming! C'mon LG, make this right!

Why should they? They seem to have taken the "Keep denying everything and it will go away" approach to this problem. This is the first and most likely last LG i will ever own. I decided to give them a try because of the removable battery and sd card slot. I deffinetly will not make that mistake again!!!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Why would they admit anything, we all know the more you deny a problem the faster it goes away!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Of course! The classic "Let's pretend that this issue doesn't exist and people will soon forget about it" behavior.

It'll backfire on them eventually. Just you wait.

LG has admitted this, but who really expects any carrier to do a recall at this point? It's not a safety issue, I.e catching fire in your pocket. Yes, it sucks. No question there and it would be great if they did do some sort of promotional campaign other than warranty repairs for us. To keep it in perspective, I've seen many brands have a wide spread problem, on a model, but have yet to see any of them do anything special beyond warranty claims. I'd expect the same reaction from a company if this were a Samsung, HTC, or even Apple phone.

GTS21

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed that the freezing trick works. Put the phone in the freezer for a few hours, and was able to get it up and running long enough to move my media to the SD card and do a factory data reset.

Joeword

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
I've tried the freezer trick by putting the G4 inside a plastic bag to avoid water damage and sticking it in the freezer for about an hour only to get the phone on for about 5 minutes before it started going through the boot loop again. How long did you freeze it for and did you freeze the phone with the battery in it?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
LG has admitted this, but who really expects any carrier to do a recall at this point? It's not a safety issue, I.e catching fire in your pocket. Yes, it sucks. No question there and it would be great if they did do some sort of promotional campaign other than warranty repairs for us. To keep it in perspective, I've seen many brands have a wide spread problem, on a model, but have yet to see any of them do anything special beyond warranty claims. I'd expect the same reaction from a company if this were a Samsung, HTC, or even Apple phone.
In the case of Apple, they actually did put a replacement program for the iPhone 6 Plus, complete with its own page, S/N checker and that sort.

The reason for that was that some batches had faulty camera modules. Not a safety issue but certainly one that would annoy customers a lot.

IMO, even though it's no safety issue, LG should have done the same. They are not required to do so, but I think it just makes LG look better in the eyes of the consumer than just admitting the issue and then sweeping everything else under the rug, or something like that.

GTS21

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I've tried the freezer trick by putting the G4 inside a plastic bag to avoid water damage and sticking it in the freezer for about an hour only to get the phone on for about 5 minutes before it started going through the boot loop again. How long did you freeze it for and did you freeze the phone with the battery in it?

I had the phone in the freezer for at least a couple hours, with the battery in it. No plastic bag. Hopefully no water damage.

Andy Moore3

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi
this problem started with my g4 yesterday, I purchased mine from simply electronics in October but the warranty isn't covered in the UK due to simply electronics being based in Hong Kong. I'm now going through my insurance instead of sending it back to Hong Kong! mine actually loaded up this morning after being on charge all night? I was able to back up internal storage on to my memory card. I would like to reset it now though, how long should I leave it in the freezer for? I really liked this phone but not happy with lg now.

Joeword

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Did you still leave the phone in the freezer when you were going through the options to transfer all of your media to the SD card? And overall how much data did you transfer and how long did it take?

drwske

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Well the other day I had my first experience with a good ole fashioned boot loop. I was able to temporarily fix it by clearing the cache gave me about two days and yesterday as I was turning my phone on to tell my family I was working overtime POW! Boot loop comes back I hadn't seen this thread unfortunately, so I thought my only viable option was to factory reset. Now not only do I have a bricked phone I have the past year or so gone from my life.
Oh, wow I forgot to mention my phone I have an Lgv10 model no.LG VS990 S/n: 510kphg0014777 yes it's through Verizon, I had it pre ordered before the release and it should still be under warranty my other phone is a GS4 so I really don't want to go back to it if I don't have to just thought LG made better quality phones and would at least acknowledge the issue not particularly sure that I will come back loved the package that came with it the original 200gig sd card and extra battery with cradle promo guess I'm off to play the refurb roulette until I get one that won't fail.
Wish they would at least say we messed up with our chip or our battery contacts just something to help us all sleep at night this is crap and it will only grow in size if they don't address it the phone to this point was a monster and had out performed my expectations if I don't see hardware or chipsets changed up I may not come back to LG which is a crying shame this is a great phone with one fatal flaw that will destroy customer after customer if not fixed immediately LG just busted into the game that had been a two headed monster and was pushing the two top dogs in Samsung and Apple. I hate to think about the effect that this one flaw in their product will do not only to sales of the G5 but the next model of v10 whatever that may be. One thing is for sure if they continue to refuse to say what they messed up or how so, they will burn a lot of customers.

drwske

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
The point of all of these posts is it shouldn't have to come to my phone catching fire in my pocket (by the way between you and I the first time it started bootlooping it was in my pocket and I only noticed it because it was overheating the boot sequence over and over is like turning on a car over and over its hard on the battery and will either kill the battery or blow it up that is why there is such an issue here it isn't a question of if it will catch fire as someone falls asleep with it on a night stand or bedside it's a matter of when and when it happens a full recall and more will be in every person who has posted in here will be saying I told you so.

drwske

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Yessir it has done it twice now saw a different thread that said to check out in here and noticed the person had yet to post so I figured I should put my story in along with the others so nobody mistakes this as the savior for LG

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yessir it has done it twice now saw a different thread that said to check out in here and noticed the person had yet to post so I figured I should put my story in along with the others so nobody mistakes this as the savior for LG
You're not the only one. Other V10s have started to bootloop......

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Welp, second G4, and another bootloop failure. This time, the phone won't even get past the LG start-up screen. This phone was a refurb provided by Verizon. Not even sure what to do next. Should I send it back to Verizon for another refurb? Or should I send it to LG to finally have it repaired properly?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Depends on how long you need to keep the G4. If you're sticking with it for another year or more, I'd say get it repaired properly. If you're only keeping it for another few months, just get another referb.

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know the amount of time it takes for LG to fix these things? I'd imagine it would be quicker than it previously was

rogue5

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
i wish i saw the freezer trick earlier, i could have tried to backup the info i still had on the phone. Luckily i had insurance and was able to replace it with a new one. Hopefully this problem doesn't happen for another year, that is when i will be able to get a different phone.

eggdashure

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So...sorry for the novel! My situation is interesting. I purchased a G4 from eBay back in February, it worked great through May and then my pocket was suddenly really hot. I pulled out my G4 and found it stuck in a boot loop. Being a long time Android root tinkerer, I didn't think much of it and pulled the battery until I got home. Once home, I powered up the phone and tried to get in to Recovery Mode to clear the Cache. The phone was stuck on Entering Recovery and wouldn't go any further.

I started researching and found this was a known issue, so I did a Live Chat with an LG rep and told him I was not the original owner. He said no problem, it is still under warranty just send it in. So I filled out the forms to do so online. Then a rep called asking for more info on the issue and I stated it was the Boot Loop known issue. They tried to walk me through a cache clear and finally agreed with what I was saying and authorized the service repair. I stated again that I wasn't the original owner and the rep assured me that if the problem was not covered, a tech would call me to discuss any charges before attempting repairs. So I packed it up and sent it off.

I hadn't heard anything after 7 days so I called the hotline to check the status and the rep said it was on its way back to me. Great! So it is all fixed and ready to go? "Ahh, yeah, all set!" I thought cool, dodged a bullet. Then I get the device back with a note saying 'No Repair: Reason Code - Liquid Trigger'. The guy I bought it from had affixed a fake liquid trigger by the battery, the one by the motherboard was tripped. >= (

So I have a $200 brick now...I'm very savvy at repairing phones, but I can't find a motherboard for an LS991 G4 anywhere! Has anyone found a good source for parts? I'm watching for a cracked screen...but they aren't easy to come by.

Thanks!

Guatiao

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
So...sorry for the novel! My situation is interesting. I purchased a G4 from eBay back in February, it worked great through May and then my pocket was suddenly really hot. I pulled out my G4 and found it stuck in a boot loop. Being a long time Android root tinkerer, I didn't think much of it and pulled the battery until I got home. Once home, I powered up the phone and tried to get in to Recovery Mode to clear the Cache. The phone was stuck on Entering Recovery and wouldn't go any further.

I started researching and found this was a known issue, so I did a Live Chat with an LG rep and told him I was not the original owner. He said no problem, it is still under warranty just send it in. So I filled out the forms to do so online. Then a rep called asking for more info on the issue and I stated it was the Boot Loop known issue. They tried to walk me through a cache clear and finally agreed with what I was saying and authorized the service repair. I stated again that I wasn't the original owner and the rep assured me that if the problem was not covered, a tech would call me to discuss any charges before attempting repairs. So I packed it up and sent it off.

I hadn't heard anything after 7 days so I called the hotline to check the status and the rep said it was on its way back to me. Great! So it is all fixed and ready to go? "Ahh, yeah, all set!" I thought cool, dodged a bullet. Then I get the device back with a note saying 'No Repair: Reason Code - Liquid Trigger'. The guy I bought it from had affixed a fake liquid trigger by the battery, the one by the motherboard was tripped. >= (

So I have a $200 brick now...I'm very savvy at repairing phones, but I can't find a motherboard for an LS991 G4 anywhere! Has anyone found a good source for parts? I'm watching for a cracked screen...but they aren't easy to come by.

Thanks!

Maybe this?

Sprint LG G4 LS991 Replacement 32GB Logic Board Motherboard Original | eBay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech