The kinda-official LG G4 bootloop thread

MyzDLockdDown

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Add me to the list, but here's my twist:

Mine is a 509 serial number, purchased late October. I haven't gone through the entire thread, but this is the first one heard of one going into boot loop outside of the 505-508 range. Looks like I'm making a call to Verizon tonight.

Also a 509; got this in October to replace ANOTHER G4 with the camera/pink fuzzy screen issue that plagued mostly Sprint users. I'm DONE with this phone. Going back to Samsung.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Add me to the list, but here's my twist:

Mine is a 509 serial number, purchased late October. I haven't gone through the entire thread, but this is the first one heard of one going into boot loop outside of the 505-508 range. Looks like I'm making a call to Verizon tonight.

Yeah, you're the first I've known to have a bootloop outside that range.

Mine is made in December, so I really hope that issue is sorted out by then. If it does bootloop again, I might have to get a G5 or Galaxy S7. Maybe the latter because I'm already very weary of LG's quality-control at this point.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad I found this thread. I was looking to buy a G4 off of swappa and now I'm leaning against it. Thinking of either the Moto X Pure or V10. I'm bummed because I was really looking forward to using the G4 camera. The V10 seems too big for me so I will probably just settle for the Pure or just keep my 6plus.

Don't rule out a used G4 - just pay attention to the manufacture date, serial #. You can ask the seller this info. It's a great phone, especially with Marshmallow.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
My replacement "Like New" G4 from Verizon looked brand new to me and had a serial number that began with 512. I know others have said they've received replacements with serial numbers in the 506-508 range and that would bother me if I had received one of those. Personally I would wait until the device payment amount you owe is down to a reasonable price and then try to sell the refurb on eBay. If you only owe around $150 and you can get that by selling the device I'd do that in a heartbeat to get a new phone earlier than waiting until the end of your 24 months on your device payment plan. Especially if you did not pay for the additional insurance coverage through your carrier.
Did your replacement came with marshmallow? I saw that some people who received a G4 with serial 512 got marshmallow out of the box.

bhopewhaley

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I just registered with this site so I could share my experiences with my LG G4 thus far. I got my first G4 in August of last year. I had no issues with it until December, when all of the sudden, my front facing camera stopped functioning correctly. Upon opening, the image would immediately be distorted into a quad view, black and white, with a few streaks, and then the phone would freeze/shut off/restart. The same happened if I tried to open the front facing camera in any apps (Instagram, Snapchat, etc.) I took it to Sprint and after trying to replace the hardware with new pieces, they determined it was the software. One employee was smart enough to do a simple Google search and find some threads about others having this issue, and that LG had addressed it. Only after he found this did they make the decision to order me a "new" phone. They didn't tell me it was a refurb, but it definitely is. After reading through this thread, I decided to look for the serial number, and it begins with 508. I'm still a bit unsure what that means per the information posted in the comments here, but I'm gathering it means there's an issue.
WHICH I BELIEVE.
Because though my phone battery typically lasts anywhere from 7 hours of heavy usage (constant video and music streaming) to 14 hours of light usage, and was charging completely in about an hour or so from being completely dead, it all of the sudden wouldn't completely charge - at all. Period. Over any given time. And in addition to that, it was overheating constantly. Both on and off the charger. My phone was becoming useless. I tried battery saving apps (which I typically don't use), I tried several cleaning apps (which I also typically don't use) and made sure to clear out my cache every day, sometimes several times a day. My task manager said my screen was using the most battery which is standard, so I was at a loss. As a last-ditch effort (because I know if I take it to Sprint or anywhere else, they'll just say "Factory reset"), I cleared a lot of media files off my phone and also disabled Facebook and Facebook Messenger (since my FB account is currently deactivated) and it somehow miraculously fixed my phone. It charges like it used to, holds a charge all day, doesn't overheat....I mean it seems like I fixed it but who the heck knows.

Should I expect more issues out of this phone per my serial number?

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Did your replacement came with marshmallow? I saw that some people who received a G4 with serial 512 got marshmallow out of the box.

No, it did not have Marshmallow. Verizon has not released Marshmallow for the LG G4 so if it did have this I would have been surprised and probably would not have received a Verizon version of the phone.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I just registered with this site so I could share my experiences with my LG G4 thus far. I got my first G4 in August of last year. I had no issues with it until December, when all of the sudden, my front facing camera stopped functioning correctly. Upon opening, the image would immediately be distorted into a quad view, black and white, with a few streaks, and then the phone would freeze/shut off/restart. The same happened if I tried to open the front facing camera in any apps (Instagram, Snapchat, etc.) I took it to Sprint and after trying to replace the hardware with new pieces, they determined it was the software. One employee was smart enough to do a simple Google search and find some threads about others having this issue, and that LG had addressed it. Only after he found this did they make the decision to order me a "new" phone. They didn't tell me it was a refurb, but it definitely is. After reading through this thread, I decided to look for the serial number, and it begins with 508. I'm still a bit unsure what that means per the information posted in the comments here, but I'm gathering it means there's an issue.
WHICH I BELIEVE.
Because though my phone battery typically lasts anywhere from 7 hours of heavy usage (constant video and music streaming) to 14 hours of light usage, and was charging completely in about an hour or so from being completely dead, it all of the sudden wouldn't completely charge - at all. Period. Over any given time. And in addition to that, it was overheating constantly. Both on and off the charger. My phone was becoming useless. I tried battery saving apps (which I typically don't use), I tried several cleaning apps (which I also typically don't use) and made sure to clear out my cache every day, sometimes several times a day. My task manager said my screen was using the most battery which is standard, so I was at a loss. As a last-ditch effort (because I know if I take it to Sprint or anywhere else, they'll just say "Factory reset"), I cleared a lot of media files off my phone and also disabled Facebook and Facebook Messenger (since my FB account is currently deactivated) and it somehow miraculously fixed my phone. It charges like it used to, holds a charge all day, doesn't overheat....I mean it seems like I fixed it but who the heck knows.

Should I expect more issues out of this phone per my serial number?

S/N 508 is in the list of suspect devices that fall victim to the bootloop issue. I'd keep monitoring it if I were you. Also, do a backup with LG Backup and another backup utility ASAP.

zombiegavins

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
UK user here, it happened to my 505 s/n G4 this morning and Vodafone UK are refusing to accept that it's a known issue... They just keep telling me it must be user error :/

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
UK user here, it happened to my 505 s/n G4 this morning and Vodafone UK are refusing to accept that it's a known issue... They just keep telling me it must be user error :/

Sounds like a crappy carrier. T-Mobile shot me a referb in two days. I know LG put out a press release. I've seen links provided in other threads, but I'm sure a quick Google search would yield results. Hopefully that might persuade them though it may be company policy. Sorry about your G4.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon overnighted me a refurb, S/N 505 this time. I guess we'll see. It also has the same touch screen issue, but it is snappier. That may be app related, though.

My touch issue isn't the common missed touches. It's best demonstrated with a screen tester app. Run it and if I hold my finger on the bottom third of the screen, the test marker will show erratic rapid touching all over that area of the screen. Especially aggravating when trying to Swype out words, but not an all the time issue. I think part of it is having low humidity in the air because I've seen it in other phones and touch screen devices.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Verizon overnighted me a refurb, S/N 505 this time. I guess we'll see. It also has the same touch screen issue, but it is snappier. That may be app related, though.

My touch issue isn't the common missed touches. It's best demonstrated with a screen tester app. Run it and if I hold my finger on the bottom third of the screen, the test marker will show erratic rapid touching all over that area of the screen. Especially aggravating when trying to Swype out words, but not an all the time issue. I think part of it is having low humidity in the air because I've seen it in other phones and touch screen devices.
I don't know about you but if I received a G4 with SN 505 I will return it and demand a G4 with SN 509 or newest.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well you should then demand SN 510, 511 or 512... These are the newest batch

Until mine, the only batches that claimed to be affected were 505-508. So at this point, who's to say later batches aren't going to be affected as well. The way I see it, warranty roulette is just that. Sure, I could try getting a newer one (unlikely), but it has a chance of having its own issues that the refurbish process didn't catch. I'll take my chance with this one for now. Just as a newer one could have problems, this replacement may have had the boot looping issue fixed and not be a concern.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

LG made an official statement about the failure. Use Google to find it and shove it down the throats of your carrier (Vodafone UK).

This is clearly a manufacturing defect and they should do what LG listed in their statement. Otherwise, switch carriers when you get a new phone, since that's what I'd do if they tried to do that to me.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine is now getting stuck on the LG logo. Serial number starts with 505. I just got off the phone with ATT and they claimed they never heard of the issue. I told them to do a Google search for "LG G4 Bootloop" and they'll find it. In any case they're supposed to call me back tomorrow. There's an ATT authorized replacement center about 40 minutes from me and if they have one in stock I can replace it tomorrow. If not, they'll have to ship one to me. Hopefully I get that call tomorrow.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Mine is now getting stuck on the LG logo. Serial number starts with 505. I just got off the phone with ATT and they claimed they never heard of the issue. I told them to do a Google search for "LG G4 Bootloop" and they'll find it. In any case they're supposed to call me back tomorrow. There's an ATT authorized replacement center about 40 minutes from me and if they have one in stock I can replace it tomorrow. If not, they'll have to ship one to me. Hopefully I get that call tomorrow.
If they start playing around that they searched and found nothing. Show to them the official LG statement acknowledging the issue and their will to fix or replace the phone.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If they start playing around that they searched and found nothing. Show to them the official LG statement acknowledging the issue and their will to fix or replace the phone.
They've already had me confirm that there is no water damage and that nothing happens when holding the power button and volume down at the same time. Once I told them I had no spare (gave it to a neighbor) they said they would prioritize it. Fingers are crossed.