Saved/downloaded pictures don't appear in gallery?

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Happens to me too. Then randomly they'll show up. I haven't been able to time exactly how long it takes, because I just give up and screenshot the photo (if I'm intending to share it) instead.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Gallery looks in Media Scanner's database to see what files to display. (Otherwise every time you ran Gallery it would have to stop everything to scan the entire phone for files.)

Taking a picture triggers Media Scanner to add the picture to the database. Recording a video or sound file triggers it. Downloading or copying a file doesn't trigger it. So Gallery isn't aware that you downloaded or copied that file. You can restart the phone to rerun Media Scanner, or you can install media.Re.Scan and make it rescan any time you change things (like downloading a media file). It's free, it does the job nicely and it works with KitKat, Lollipop and Marshmallow. (And it doesn't use any resources except for 8MB of storage unless you're running it.)

CellTheUltimateAndroid

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Gallery looks in Media Scanner's database to see what files to display. (Otherwise every time you ran Gallery it would have to stop everything to scan the entire phone for files.)

Taking a picture triggers Media Scanner to add the picture to the database. Recording a video or sound file triggers it. Downloading or copying a file doesn't trigger it. So Gallery isn't aware that you downloaded or copied that file. You can restart the phone to rerun Media Scanner, or you can install media.Re.Scan and make it rescan any time you change things (like downloading a media file). It's free, it does the job nicely and it works with KitKat, Lollipop and Marshmallow. (And it doesn't use any resources except for 8MB of storage unless you're running it.)

I'm sorry but shouldn't it just show the downloaded picture? A few days ago it was just fine with downloaded pictures and then this problem suddenly comes up. I don't want to go through this hassle with a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry but shouldn't it just show the downloaded picture? A few days ago it was just fine with downloaded pictures and then this problem suddenly comes up. I don't want to go through this hassle with a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.
Alternatively, you could download a picture viewer that acts more like you want it to.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
after updating to 6.0 I STILL HAVE THIS BUG

As do I.

Though, I did download MediaScan per a previous post and just run that whenever I download a photo. Though, I wish I could find a way to prevent Pandora from creating a photo and placing it in my gallery - I don't see the point of a music program doing that. If I delete, it just comes back.

Necksnapper

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Are you using Chrome? I've noticed this problem too for a while, and I just downloaded an image I wanted to share NOW, but nothing appeared so I searched and found this thread. Understanding the problem I tried the stock browser instead of chrome and tada! 2 copies appeared, it appears the update also found the one downloaded by chrome.

However, before I tried taking a photo to trigger an update, but it appears it didn't update the download folder then.

So this appears to be a chrome bug, chrome should request an update once the image has completed downloading.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Downloading or copying a file doesn't trigger it. So Gallery isn't aware that you downloaded or copied that file.

My downloads show up in Gallery under albums with all of my androids.

Attachments

• 1462406111682.jpg
    1462406111682.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

abhi02101993

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site
Problem sloved (Gallery doesn't popup images after MARSHMALLOW update)
Hey guys just try this
(1) Eject SD card from your phone
(2) connect it to PC using card reader
(3) search for " .hide " file in your SD card
(4) Delete this file
(5) Insert SD card in your phone...

Enjoy your gallery.... 😉😉😉😉

teague455

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys! I had this happen to me today and I found out what it was. You disabled google play services. Go to application manager, and allow google play services the access to notifications! Now you can download pictures and have it show. :)

Ricoweasels777

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
Go to the App settings for Chrome under phone settings, tick box to give this app access to your phone storage. Fixed :] Hauwei P Smart... Pics downloaded now appear!

Mousee29

Apr 20, 2018
Visit site
Do Not need to download these additional apps I've seen suggested. I just followed the advice, go to app manager, Chrome & Google play services (Not sure which was Actually the winner lol),go to permission on that app & turn on STORAGE, Make sure to then restart and tada it works perfect now!

megaverse

Jun 12, 2018
Visit site
Problem sloved (Gallery doesn't popup images after MARSHMALLOW update)
Hey guys just try this
(1) Eject SD card from your phone
(2) connect it to PC using card reader
(3) search for " .hide " file in your SD card
(4) Delete this file
(5) Insert SD card in your phone...

Enjoy your gallery.... ������������������������

I tried all that and everything else anybody mentioned on here. Nothing seemed to work. Then I switched to Bing.com and downloaded a picture. It asked me to allow Chrome Access to storage on device, I did and it worked! Now I have no problem downloading and viewing any image.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobyona

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
Hi yeah this is happening to me too and I've tried all of the options people have said and it's still not working, not only that but the images aren't even showing up in my download file in my phone. Im really confused and need these images for school purposes.

Amberr1314

Feb 21, 2019
Visit site
I've done everything that all these groups have said to do yet my I still can't find my photos. I've noticed more than anything that when I try and save photos from and app it doesn't work for example like Pinterest or photogrid says the image had been downloaded but can't find them anywhere. I always have to just end up screenshotting everything but that's very inconvenient and annoying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03