Verizon tier 2 tech guy said the VZW G4 "will probably never get Marshmallow update..." :(

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Verizon tier 2 tech guy said the VZW G4 "will probably never get Marshmallow update..." :(

I just finished talking with a Verizon tier 2 tech guy about an reception issue on my
other phone, the VZW Note5.(which turned out to be an issue with my nearest VZW
tower and not my Note5, thanks to the recent snow storms)

Near the end of the 40-minute call, I asked him about my other phone, the VZW G4.
I asked him if he knew anything about when the Marshmallow update will be sent out
to the Note5 and the G4. (yes, I know it's dumb to ask, since VZW techs usually
know less than what we know :) ) He said the Note5 will be getting it pretty soon
because it's already in final testing. However, he said the G4 "will probably never
get Marshmallow update..."
because they have not read or heard anything about it. :(

I'm pretty sure he is wrong because he is a VZW tech.. but then again, who knows? :(

talonsmith

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon tier 2 tech guy said the VZW G4 "will probably never get Marshmallow update..." :(

Its already out for other G4's. Haven't seen VZ just selectively deny it for one phone when the update is available.

Jonkai

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Verizon tier 2 tech guy said the VZW G4 "will probably never get Marshmallow update..." :(

I actually wouldn't be surprised, especially given the fact that VZW gimped it's own version of the phone to begin with. If they allowed for a marshmallow update, they would have to reconcile the fact that once again it does not have the other stated features that every other carrier's G4s have.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

yeah they wouldn't be in a position to know..

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

I wouldn't be surprised, and it would reinforce the main reason that I hate Android. They never update them and only focus on the "new" phones. It's so frustrating, probably will go back to the iPhone after my G4 runs its course. I enjoy the phone, but to neglect it is ridiculous and the main reason I left the Android platform previously.

Granted this is just a tech's word, which should be taken with a grain of salt.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Much ado about nothing. I think I've seen variations of this insider info for every phone I've owned. Heaven forbid a carrier rep just be honest and say "I don't know."

We'll get MM.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Call me weird (I call myself that all the time anyway), but I buy a phone based on what it can do out of the box, not based on some update it may or may not get. No skin off my back if the update never comes because I'm happy with the phone.

For that matter, it may not come on my specific phone even if it's released by Verizon. I've had a horrible track record of their so called updates screwing something up or changing features in ways I don't like. Often times it's more of a downgrade than upgrade. For that reason, I've disabled the updating app on mine.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

Blaming Google or LG for something Verizon is doing is like blaming Ford for the problems with your Chevy, your blame is being misplaced.

kraze4u

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site

Well if Big red doesn't update the your G4 to Marshmallow you can always root.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

Switch to tmobile lol...
Switched and I don't see any difference to be honest. US cell carriers sucks in general compare to other regions in the world where their phone are never locked to a specific carrier.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

I talked to a Tier Two rep in December that said the G4 will, but Verizon likes to wait until they're sure the bugs have been worked out, so they're ya go.
Guess Verizon loves us customers so much they want to make sure the update is a smooth, stress free experience :p.

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

I gave up my Sony Xperia Z3 for that exact reason. When they sold the Z3 as one of their lead phones and when it did not make it after6 months, they pulled it off their market page and refuse to to sell it or update it.

Posted via the Android Central App