LG G4 stuck in a boot loop, how can I get out of it?

CharlesGoodwin

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
LG G4 stuck in a boot loop

Over the weekend, perhaps as a consequence of a failed update, my phone has become stuck in a boot loop. I recall it asking for an update mid-week, and I said 'yes' but then interrupted the download (was clearing an office, so packed up the router). Sometime on Friday, the phone ran out of battery. I didn't plug it in until Saturday (sometimes I like a bit of quiet time without the phone). When I plugged it in, it started booting, staying on for 20-30s, then rebooting itself.

I can't seem to do a hard reset. It doesn't say on long enough to start it on normal boot. Trying to boot it up in dev mode (hold down power/vol-down buttons) doesn't seem to do anything - the logos come up as if it is working, but then it makes the normal boot sound and seems to resume a normal boot.

Tried removing the battery, removing the sim, all with the same results. Any ideas?

CharlesGoodwin

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Re: LG G4 stuck in a boot loop

So I managed to use the menu to do a factory reset. I just had to be really quick (took a few tries) and it has initiated a reset that way. It seems to be working (going through the set up and back up restoration process) with no more reboots. Fingers crossed!

Owenthomas1991

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

I had this exact issue word for word. I've contacted LG and they will repair my handset for free however I'm still dissapointed as I lost a lot of memorable travel pictures. How were you able to achieve the menu? My phone reaches the LG splash screen and then reboots in a continues loop.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

I had this exact issue word for word. I've contacted LG and they will repair my handset for free however I'm still dissapointed as I lost a lot of memorable travel pictures. How were you able to achieve the menu? My phone reaches the LG splash screen and then reboots in a continues loop.
That's why is always important to save the pictures taken on the SD card. So in cases you phone decided to die for whatever reason. All your stuff will be in your SD card untouched.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

Can't find link here or on reddit but I think you can put it in the freezer. It is true look it up.

jewels3000

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

Had this exact problem and my phone is now with LG for repair.
I read about freezing and it worked for me. The hardware fault is something to do with a loose connection. By freezing, this makes it contract.
I put my phone in the freezer for about 20mins, this gave me about 10mins of use before it switched off again. I did this twice to get all my data that i needed. I had my phone in the freezer with my computer next to it.

odarellmc

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

Just started having this issue as well, my battery died and its been overheating and boot looping, its fine for now, I'll see what happens when I play a game and report back if possible

Posted via the Android Central App

Gemogeot

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site

sign the petition below to ask LG to replace our faulty LG G4
ipetitions.com/petition/lg-g4-faulty-phones

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Had this exact problem and my phone is now with LG for repair.
I read about freezing and it worked for me. The hardware fault is something to do with a loose connection. By freezing, this makes it contract.
I put my phone in the freezer for about 20mins, this gave me about 10mins of use before it switched off again. I did this twice to get all my data that i needed. I had my phone in the freezer with my computer next to it.

With all due respect you shouldn't have to do this. Don't keep anything on the phone that you can't afford to lose. Use SMS backup and restore (or similar) to back up sms/mms and call logs nightly automated backup to cloud. Google services for calendar, contacts, etc.
I treat my phone as a disposable object. If I drop it into a sewer grate in five minutes - nothing lost except the cost to replace the hardware.

dump71

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
After a great experience with my 505X AT&T G4 purchased last June, I joined the club. I had some warning--yesterday it spontaneously reset, froze on LG splash screen and heated up so much it was too hot to hold. Removed battery, waited. 3 hours later started back up fine. Spontaneous reset twice last night. Today, boot loop. Initiated warranty replacement through AT&T by phone -- local authorized warranty center wouldn't touch it. Said that they were informed this morning NOT to deal with it. Now I have to wait 4-6 business days or pay for guaranteed 2-day shipping for my "like-new" device. I've had refurbished before (HTC) and don't mind too much, but I dislike not being able to deal with this at the local warranty center.

jewels3000

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

With all due respect you shouldn't have to do this. Don't keep anything on the phone that you can't afford to lose. Use SMS backup and restore (or similar) to back up sms/mms and call logs nightly automated backup to cloud. Google services for calendar, contacts, etc.
I treat my phone as a disposable object. If I drop it into a sewer grate in five minutes - nothing lost except the cost to replace the hardware.

I know that :)
All of my important is backed up but I just had a few random bits that I wanted to grab off my phone before I sent it off to repair. Nothing that wasn't too much of a disaster if I did lose it. However, now this has happened for me, I will look at making sure 100% of my stuff is backed up in future.

However I posted about the freezer trick as it may help someone as it helped me.

Ale-yoop

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site

I found a freezer free way and oven free way of getting the LG G4 to boot.
I used a hair dryer out of all things.
1. Removed the back cover
2. Removed the battery and plug your phone in to your PC
3. Put the hair dryer on medium speed on full heat
4. I spread the hot air evenly across the back of the phone, the distance of the hair dryer was roughly 15 - 20cm away from the phone.
5. After 35 secs try putting in the battery and testing if the phone boots, keep trying steps 3 - 4 until it boots (let it try boot a couple of times before reheating)
6. Put the phone on its back and Transfer you precious data from the phone to your PC or Laptop - YOU MUST KEEP BLOW DRYING THE PHONE every now and then!!
7. Blow drying the phone after every minute to make sure it's still hot and the faulty contact is making the connection

Hope this works as well as it did for me, I almost lost all my overseas photos and videos - I was absolutely devastated.

Managed to get every single photo and video successfully.
Just don't over cook your phone.

Happy Saving DATA

Cheers
A

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I used a blowdryer for a couple minutes, got it to boot for like two minutes, but the dumb thing wasn't being recognized by my laptop...., went into bootloop again. Can't seem to get it to boot to anything anymore, maybe I cooked it, lol.

Might try the freezer method once it cools off a bit....

marks_17

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
Are you for reals with this? I'm having same problem and have some pictures of my boy that didn't get backed up. Would love to get them back. Thanks!

EWT

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
My 510 joined the boot loop party a few days ago. I was able to get it to boot a couple of times with the freezer method, but I couldn't keep it running long enough to export my text messages. The hair dryer method did the trick though. Fortunately, everything else of value was backed up in the cloud somewhere so I didn't lose anything.

I'm using my old G3 as a replacement. I had forgotten how much better it feels in the hand. Other than the camera, I can't say I liked using the G4 better than the G3. I'll probably just sell my repaired G4 when it arrives, continue using the G3 and get one of the new Nexus when they come out.

Scholfield03

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Do either of the freezer method or the blow dryer cause other damage to the phone? Like for the freezer method does that not put liquid in the phone that would void the warranty?

Leilan

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I just joined the club today. Took it off the charger to check an email, and now I have a paperweight.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Do either of the freezer method or the blow dryer cause other damage to the phone? Like for the freezer method does that not put liquid in the phone that would void the warranty?

I would think only if there is A LOT of humidity in your home. Then again, our phones would be shorting out whenever the humidity goes up! I think you should be ok with putting it in the freezer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan