LG G4 TMobile USA Marshmallow update

shupor

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else get this update? Got the notification to install this morning and after the initial 'restart and install' screen, nothing happened.

Chris Rosas

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Nope but T-Mobile should slowly start rolling it out today ...and it might take a week before it reaches everyone

Posted via the Android Central App

bluestl

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't received it yet....as of 7:27am PST. I check it at least every few hours. Eagerly awaiting

I have tried the LG Bridge method and it keeps giving me the "Cannot connect to the server" issue.....even though my laptop, iPad, phone, wife's phone, daughters phone and iPad and our WiiU are all connected.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
All updated. Kind of interesting that knock on lock screen is now a minimum of 6 taps. I had mine set to 4 taps. I guess Marshmallow forced LG to update this?

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I updated with LG Bridge on February 6. It found the update right away - never got the OTA.

Lots of minor bug fixes and no downside that I can see. Except for Folder sync (read about app issue) but I don't use that. I think T-Mobile let all the annoying minor bugs in Lollipop. Marshmallow so far is awesome. I say go for it if you're on the fence.

shupor

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I updated with LG Bridge on February 6. It found the update right away - never got the OTA.

Lots of minor bug fixes and no downside that I can see. Except for Folder sync (read about app issue) but I don't use that. I think T-Mobile let all the annoying minor bugs in Lollipop. Marshmallow so far is awesome. I say go for it if you're on the fence.

Definitely gonna go for it. Just bummed that the OTA update appeared then disappeared. Can't do it via bridge till I get off work in a few hours.

nickdaman

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been really happy with the release so far once it settled in and battery life I've found a little better that 5.1 lollipop. But check it out for sure.

Mirest

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I have been checking LG bridge since the weekend but no update available yet. Nothing OTA so far as well (started checking today)

rti35

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I got the update 2 days ago via LG bridge. I had my G4 set up with the Google Now Launcher prior to MM, so there's really not much of a difference with the update. Here are the most noticeable ones:

When I use the Fast-Charger that came with my V10, the phone now gives a notification indicating fast charging, which it never did before. I don't know if this "enabled" fast charging, or if it just enabled the notification. Either way it's there now.

Settings menu includes Google settings, and battery life/app usage info is much more detailed. Not a gamebreaker but nice to have nonetheless.

Holding down the home button while web browsing (or doing anything really) pulls up info about whatever you're viewing. For example, if you're looking at a sports website and you hold down the home button, Google will give you some stats of some players mentioned on that page and some other stuff. I haven't found this feature particularly useful yet, but again I've only had the update 2 days so time will tell if I find more useful reasons to use it.

Easily the biggest change coming with this update is that the G4 is now enabled for T-Mobile Advanced messaging. Which at the moment is a bit useless as not a single person on my contacts list has a phone capable of it. However I did try it with my T-Mobile GS6, and it's very cool. For those that don't know, it gives you "facetime" like video calling without the use of any 3rd party app, and you can see when people are typing text messages and when they have read ones that you sent.

Battery life I can't comment on as it seems pretty similar to before. Overall, this isn't a gamebreaking update IMO.

AlwaysSmile

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Holding down the home button while web browsing (or doing anything really) pulls up info about whatever you're viewing. For example, if you're looking at a sports website and you hold down the home button, Google will give you some stats of some players mentioned on that page and some other stuff. I haven't found this feature particularly useful yet, but again I've only had the update 2 days so time will tell if I find more useful reasons to use it.

That's called Google Now On Tap its a Marshmallow thing!

Posted via the Android Central App on my LG V10

anwarabir

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
So far, we've seen the LG G4 getting updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow in South Korea, Europe, and Canada. Additionally, units sold by Sprint, US Cellular, and T-Mobile have already received their taste of Google's latest treat. And now it's time for the G4 sold by AT&T to be in the exact same position.
The over-the-air rollout is apparently under way as you read this, so if you have a G4 purchased from AT&T you might receive that coveted update notification at any time. If this hasn't happened yet but you're impatient, you can always manually check by using the appropriate menu in Settings. It's a 971 MB download, though, so maybe use Wi-Fi to grab it.

Source: GSMArena

rti35

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
So is advanced messaging kinda like apples imessage?

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes.

Except there are probably millions of people using Apple devices, so the features can actually be used.

Advanced messaging only works on T-Mobile phones that are equipped with it. Which as far as I know is only the iPhone, G4 and GS6.

One thing I have noticed is that Marshmallow is much faster. Very useful in helping me manage my marketing company as I always have tons of apps open at once, including apps running in the background like Line2 and Skype for business.

KyonCoraeL

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget to disable encryption before installing marshmallow. I forgot to do that and after the marshmallow update my password wouldn't work and it wiped my phone.