G4 often boots up with problems. No data, or frozen update screen.

mattl2

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had my G4 for a while, and about a week ago my phone started having boot problems - when it's off and I turn it back on one of three things happen. One: It boots properly, however this is the least common and typically only happens if the phone has been off for a very short time. Two: It boots seemingly properly, but the battery meter is stuck at 80%, regardless of the actual level, and never goes down. Also the phone will not connect to mobile data at all. Calls and MSM work though. Three: Infrequently it boots into a firmware update screen, but no new software was recently downloaded. And it is completely frozen at 0%, not even the power button will shut down the phone (thank god I have a removable battery or I would have to just let it drain!)

I've switched to my free second battery and taken out and put the sim card back in. No luck. The trick to getting it to boot normally seems to be plugging the phone into a charger while it's off.... I took the phone to a Verizon store today but naturally it was working fine and they couldn't help. I've seen very few, but still some, others on the internet with this same problem, but no definitive solution. Any advice? EDIT: Forgot to mention, I have performed a factory reset and it did not help!

Last edited:

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
There is definitely something wrong but hard to say for sure. Do you have access to another phone that can record video? If so, video your phone when it boots so that you have proof of what it is doing.

It's just bad luck that you can't reproduce the problem in the store but maybe they will take video examples into account.

Make sure you have everything backed up so you don't lose anything when it decides to bootloop permanently.

mattl2

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The woman at the store said I should just come back when it's experiencing the problem. I'v noticed that when the phone is off for a while, like if I'm at a movie, is when these problems seem to occur.

reallyagain

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I have just accidentally let my LG G4 run completely down and when i plugged it in i got the Firmware Update screen - FROZEN!!!
i have tried shutting it off - no luck I tried the reset no luck. This is so frustrating. I never have my phone off or let it run down... I can tell you i wont again either.