Battery usage has suddenly doubled

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Just like the G3 I had before this G4, out of nowhere the battery usage has suddenly doubled. I got this G4 in October and I've always been able to get 2 days usage out of it before recharging. At the end of those two days the remaining battery percentage would be down in the 50's.

When I would recharge the night before, about 8 hours later on the next morning I would check the phone and the remaining percentage might be 93% or so. Two mornings ago after a recharge I checked the phone and the remaining percentage was 71%. At the end of the day when I got home from work the remaining percentage was 30%. And I'm a very light phone user. So something has suddenly decided to start zapping my battery big time. I need help finding the problem.

I've included some basic screenshots but if there is something more detailed that you need to see just let me know.

001.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg
007.jpg

As you can see on the graph that shows the beginning 3 hour period, it really starts to nosedive right after that first three hours and that declining angle is much steeper than I've ever seen before. Since I had the problem with the G3 I've paid attention to those graphs and the G4's usage decline angle has been relatively shallow.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
re:

You have an App wakelocking your phone, and it's probably an App that uses Bluetooth. Can you think if anything new you've installed recently?

Posted via the Android Central App

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
re:

You have an App wakelocking your phone, and it's probably an App that uses Bluetooth. Can you think if anything new you've installed recently?

Posted via the Android Central App

No I haven't installed anything since I got this phone 4 months ago. The apps I have are old and from when I had the LG G3.

KyonCoraeL

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
re:

I always thought that type of drain was normal for lollipop. Since day one and during the LG G4 test drive, my normal drain has typically been 2-3% per hour. With the new Marshmallow update my LG G4 battery life looks more like this.Screenshot_2016-02-14-02-13-42.jpg Screenshot_2016-02-14-02-18-49.jpg
If it is possible to wait for marshmallow it might solve your problems. Although I have had some buggy app problems causing wakelocks, I have had to restart my phone in safe mode and uninstall some apps. Try restarting the phone in safe mode.

Last edited:

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
re:

Have you pair your phone's bluetooth to a new device in the house? Like a new bluetooth speaker or Amazon Echo or something like that? I would also try rebooting the phone if you haven't. Maybe the bluetooth somehow stuck on and searching or something.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
re:

I would click that button to turn off bluetooth when not in use.

The only time bluetooth is necessary for me is when I'm in the car which is not that often. I have turned it off through the main settings. But if I turn it back on then hit that turn off when not in use button, does that mean that I get in my car it will automatically turn it on and then off again when I leave my car?

Have you pair your phone's bluetooth to a new device in the house? Like a new bluetooth speaker or Amazon Echo or something like that? I would also try rebooting the phone if you haven't. Maybe the bluetooth somehow stuck on and searching or something.

No there hasn't been anything new in the house, no new devices or anything. I turned off the blue tooth last night then recharged. This morning when I checked it again the battery showed about 90% left. That's about roughly 8 hours or so after the recharge which is I guess normal. That's much better than the 30% percent drop in about 5 hours when I discovered the problem.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
re:

It seems totally wrong that Bluetooth would be the largest battery consumer on your device at 20%+. I have always left Bluetooth enabled on all recent devices (Nexus 4, 5, 6, and now 6P) with actual connected time averaging about 90 minutes per day and Bluetooth never rises above the 1% or 2% mark on the battery usage list.

Something is not right...

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
re:

It seems totally wrong that Bluetooth would be the largest battery consumer on your device at 20%+. I have always left Bluetooth enabled on all recent devices (Nexus 4, 5, 6, and now 6P) with actual connected time averaging about 90 minutes per day and Bluetooth never rises above the 1% or 2% mark on the battery usage list.

Something is not right...

I agree. Something is definitely not right. I've always left Bluetooth enabled too. I charged it last Wednesday night at about 10PM, woke up the next morning at 5:30 and checked it and it had dropped down into the 70's remaining percentage and it's never done that before.

I've turned off Bluetooth and the battery has returned to draining at a normal level. I just have to remember to turn it back on whenever I get in my car.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
re:

The only thing I can suggest is to open Bluetooth settings and delete all paired devices and then re-pair only those devices you actually use.

[edit]

Oh, and keep in mind that not all "paired" Bluetooth devices will show in the list. For example, I use a Bluetooth chest-strap type heart rate monitor and, although it is paired to a couple of apps (including this one https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.wahoofitness.fitness&token=9Z1S4ibl ), it is not listed in the main Bluetooth paired devices list.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

Can anyone help me?

Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).