should I get a g4?

M_NUS

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I've had 3 samsungs galaxy 3,4 and now 5. Fed up with samsung and want a change. I like how the g4 looks, and the g5 is'nt floating my boat. Is the g4 a good choice to upgrade to?

Posted via Android Central App

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm still loving mine, and would buy it again today against everything else that's out there. I've really grown to love the power and volume controls on the back. Screen is beautiful. Marshmallow is running fine for me.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't steer anyone away from the G4 by any means. If its features, etc. line up well with the the things you rate most highly in your own priorities for a phone, by all means grab one. I think you'll enjoy it.

The caveat being, due to a hardware failure that causes an eventual bootloop, make sure that you get one that was assembled after September of last year. It should indicate that on the box, or via the serial # under the battery (509 = Sept '15 assembly, 602 = Feb '16 assembly, etc.). You want to steer away from serial #s that start with 505 - 508. This is a situation where buying it in person somewhere is worth it.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Definitely go for it — it's a truly great phone, and it will set you back less than half the price of the S7/edge. I also like the look of the G4 by far over the G5.

starbuck88

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I repeat what has been said above, the G4 is a fantastic phone. I am not impressed by the G5 at all unfortunately so I'll keep with the G4 until they come back with something exciting in the G6 or even G7.

I have/had a serial 505 phone and got the 'known issue' LG replaced the mainboard under warranty with a brand new one. As said above, get a brand new one or check the serials.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Fantastic phone, but I'd only suggest buying new as well. I'd also suggest an extended warranty if that's an option. Not just because it's a G4, but phones in general seem to be getting less dependable. Plus, my 509 serial G4 developed the boot loop issue, so who knows really how many are affected by it.

electricrelish

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking into getting a used LG G4; however, I'm concerned about the bootloop issue that users have experienced. When you returned your phone to LG,do they require a receipt or proof that you were the original owner? I would hope not as they should stand by their product especially since it's less than a year old.

ThorntonGT

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Nice big screen with a brilliant camera. Love the knock knock to wake up and the Android 6 Marshmallow update has done wonders to the battery life. You can add a nice big SD card to give you loads of storage for your photo's that you can either shoot in JPG or RAW. It's just a fantastic phone and well worth the money.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking into getting a used LG G4; however, I'm concerned about the bootloop issue that users have experienced. When you returned your phone to LG,do they require a receipt or proof that you were the original owner? I would hope not as they should stand by their product especially since it's less than a year old.

Many manufacturer warranties do not transfer to secondary owners. I don't suggest buying a used phone, especially a G4, unless it's in great condition and you're getting a steal, and you are willing to eat the cost if it goes bad.

RandyOhio

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Agree. Yes, they do require proof of purchase at LG for repairs. Should they on something clearly their fault? No! Should they repair ANY bootloop phone, even beyond the warranty date? YES!!!

Posted via Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Surely someone has received a phone as a gift and doesn't have a receipt and needs repair, right? LG turns those folks away?

If someone gave me a gift that was this expensive, they better be giving me some sort of receipt. If not, then I'd consider it a harsh lesson if I were in that place and LG turned it down. Then again, when it comes to electronics, I typically don't like receiving them as gifts because I'm picky about what I want. I prefer to be given a gift card or something to make the purchase myself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87