LG G4 android 6.0 rocken it like its 4.4

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Sooooo... even in 6.0, non-factory installed apps are not allowed to write to the sd card in any capacity or form. And adoptable storage was removed (and blamed on google for doing so). Of course if you search the internet, google hasnt removed it from anyone elses rom, so yea LG is like fk you.

Carl_L

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Another forum user (Stet) advised me that you can still move apps to SD within MM without using adoptable storage, despite all the 'expert' opinion saying otherwise.

I stubbornly refused to accept it at 1st, until he posted an easy to follow (even for me) guide in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/643589-external-sd-not-recognized.html I've followed it on my phone (to a point) to confirm that he is absolutely correct, but haven't followed it through yet as I have plenty of space for now.

I gather he's been doing this for sometime without issue, you may want to PM him if you've any questions.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Carl, it appears that the same old limitation of OBB data not being transferred applies. So if I transfer FF9 over, the APK file gets transfered but the 3gb of game data stays on the phone. :(

I was able to get the write (delete) permissions for poweramp to work on my music files finally. In 5.x I would select the SD card and it simply wouldn't work, ever.

Carl_L

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Carl, it appears that the same old limitation of OBB data not being transferred applies. So if I transfer FF9 over, the APK file gets transfered but the 3gb of game data stays on the phone. :(

I was able to get the write (delete) permissions for poweramp to work on my music files finally. In 5.x I would select the SD card and it simply wouldn't work, ever.

Pardon? Your comment exceeds my intellect :D

You might as well be speaking a foreign language to me but I do now, at least, realise that your original post said ".....installed apps are not allowed to write to the sd card....).

Please forgive my ignorance - at least, perhaps, my post might help others, even if I was miles off the mark re your OP. I'll return to my nap :D

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Yea I had a mame4droid that would not allow itself to use the sd card because it couldn't get write access. It turned out it was a slightly older version made for lower end devices, the high end one which was more up to date works well on the sd card. It still annoys me that it is kitkat all over again. I thought the write access fight was over in 5.0, but it didn't change very much at all.

Also to give you an idea, many games today that use a ot of data like RPGs and such have you download a small "executable" if you want to call it that, this is what you get from the store. Then when you run the program for the first time it downloads even more data, this data is held in a different place and is not moved by the OS.

mikeytg1024

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Sooooo... even in 6.0, non-factory installed apps are not allowed to write to the sd card in any capacity or form. And adoptable storage was removed (and blamed on google for doing so). Of course if you search the internet, google hasnt removed it from anyone elses rom, so yea LG is like fk you.

I have non-factory apps that write to the SD card. My SD card is still used as a separate SD, old style and I have android 6.0 on a US991 G4.

ES File Manager can do it for instance. The first time I asked it to delete a file on the SD, it had me select the root of the SD card in a dialog. I assume that gave it permission to see the whole SD. Since then I can copy, add, delete to my heart's content. Same deal with the BeyondPod podcast app. I have a local file folder on the SD, when it tried to delete a file there I had to do the select thing on that folder, now it can delete in that folder at will.

So I guess what is needed is that the app has to be updated to include this permission granting process, so maybe old and abandoned apps will not work.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Mikey, yea, I think 5.0 did the same, but it wasn't working for me then. Tried to have power amp delete music and the permissions screen came up, but it would never work. It looks like it is working in the 6.0 update though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18