new phone is not working properly - lg g4 (screen issues/power button)

eddyyss

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi there,

I bought a new LG G4 and after 2 days it started to work funny. In other words if I wanted to press power button when screen was off it didn't give me any response, but after I took out the battery and put it back the screen goes on and same if I do plug the charger the screen goes on.

I tried to run phone in safe mode and it works without any issues.

I have marshmallow android version. and also I have tampered screen protector (but remember it works without any problem in safe mode and even though my screen protector was since the first day of the phone I bought)

p.s. just an update just realized it does the same in safe mode...

any help appreciated.

Regards

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
My first thought would be to consider a software problem. A lot of issues can be solved with a factory data reset (FDR). This wipes your device and makes it like you just took it from the box.

Your first step is to make a backup. The simplest way for you to make a backup is to use the LG Backup utility that's loaded on your phone. Open SETTINGS, and select BACKUP AND RESET. Then find LG BACKUP. Select BACKUP AND RESTORE, then BACKUP DATA. On the next screen, choose to backup to your SD card.

The next step is the FDR. Again, find SETTINGS/BACKUP AND RESET, but this time look for FACTORY DATA RESET. This will restore your device (software-wise) to its out-of-the-box condition. You will lose everything you have on the device (apps, data, media, network settings, everything). You shouldn't lose anything stored on your SD card. Having said that, I've seen some crazy things happen to data on the SD card when doing a reset. I always remove the SD card before I do a FDR. Don't forget to put it back when the reset is completed.

I don't know that I'd be in any rush to restore from a backup. If the issue is corrupted data and not something with the OS, it is possible that you may backup and restore that bad data onto a clean device. Then you're right back where you started. If you're determined to restore what you had before your FDR, go back to LG BACKUP and select RESTORE FROM BACKUP.

If this doesn't fix your issue, then the problem could be hardware related. You'd have to get with the folks who supplied your device for help with that. The first thing that they'll likely want you to do is the FDR, so you can tell then you've already done it.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
dont spend to much time on it, get it replaced from the store before it is too late. It should work out of the box.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, if that's the only change that you made, then I'd have to say yes. It could have been the issue. I've read of folks who had display-related issues with their devices after installing a tempered glass screen protector, but I've not seen it.

My gut reaction when I first saw your question was to suspect the screen protector, but discounted it when you said that you'd used it without issues for several days prior. That's what led me to suspect the OS. You also can't reinstall the glass screen protector, so you want that to be a last-resort troubleshooting step. I'd suggest that you run it for a few days before finally claiming victory, just to make sure that it doesn't go bad again after a two or three days like it did before.

What made you suspect the screen protector?

JA A

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Oh my gosh, I can't believe I found this post, as I was having similar issues - Thanks eddyyss!!!

My daughter dropped my G4 on the ground and the screen cracked so badly that I had a new screen reinstalled for $120. To save my new investment, I quickly installed a new tempered glass protector. Then, the power button would not turn the LCD ON when it was OFF. I had to, like you, charge it or re-install the battery to get the LCD to turn ON. I thought it was the power button not properly installed, but then the power button would turn the LCD off just fine at any time I wanted - so the power button did kinda work.

My frustration led to me believe I had a poor LCD installation was ready to take my device back to the repair shop - UNTIL I found this post.

I'm going to remove my tempered-glass protector to see if this is the culprit of my problem too

JA A

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Sad to report that removing my tempered glass did not fix my problem. My issues stems with the new LCD installation.

Will have to take it back to the repair shop to see what they can do. I've done a complete factory reset as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12