Just purchased my first Smartphone: LG G4

electricrelish

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I've never owned my own smartphone because my job always provided me a phone, so for the last two years to the present, I've been using a BlackBerry Z10; however, I don't ever install any apps since it's a work phone; so any non-work related activity is just limited to phone calls and Internet browsing.

Last Christmas, I purchased an iPhone 6s for my mother and an iPhone 6s Plus for my g/f. I was blown away at how much faster and enjoyable of an experience it was to use those phones but I didn't want to spend that much; so I started investigating other options. My first choice was the LG G4 because I loved that the fact that it has the same 5.5 screen size as the iPhone 6s Plus but the phone body was smaller and curved. I also value being able to take the battery out of a phone to turn it off. I was amazed at the great used prices I was finding for a phone that wasn't even a year old yet; however, when I found out about the boot loop issue, I decided to look elsewhere.

My next choice was the Nexus 6P but I didn't like the fact that it was bigger in size. Next, I became enamored by the Moto X Pure Edition as it also had a curve, Moto actions and two front speakers. I was convinced that it would be my next phone but I thought I might wait for the price to drop some more since I had waited this long. The truth is that there was something that I didn't like from each of the phones and I wish I could have combined them all into one, so I thought maybe I should just wait until the 2016 Moto X PE comes out.

At the same time, I was still watching used prices on the Sprint LG G4 and checking to see if any phones manufactured after October 2015 would appear as I had never heard any complaints about a boot loop on those manufactured from November 2015 to present. Today I found an original owner who had a LG G4 with the original box for sale, and it was manufactured in December 2015. The phone was less than 5 months old and the asking price was only $200 including shipping on Swappa. I had actually found one manufactured in October 2015 for the same price about 6 weeks earlier but didn't jump on it and someone else beat me to it. Still, I hesitated for a few hours, since I had my heart set on a Moto X Pure Edition, but finally I pulled the trigger on the LG G4. I couldn't resist the incredible deal, so I bought it. The owner plans to ship it out on Monday, so hopefully, I'll have it by the end of next week.

I have no idea how to use the Android OS but I'm excited to try it and everything else that comes with the LG G4 including its camera. Looks like they're are some die-hard LG enthusiasts here, so I'm looking forward to reading all of your posts, getting up to speed on accessories and tips (i.e. case or no case with leather back) and becoming acclimated in the LG G4 community.
Cheers!

steveathome

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I've also been looking at the G4 for some time. I currently own a G3 which has been excellent but my wife's phone, a Nexus 4 is ready for an upgrade - my G3!

The fall in price now makes the G4 very attractive in the UK but I have been following the boot loop issue with some dismay. I intend as always to buy an unlocked phone, in this case the H815.

My question is this, has anybody who received a s/n 600+ had any bootloop issues?

KyonCoraeL

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any bootloop issues myself. I have had the LG G4 since it has launched in Canada. Others who got their LG G4 have had issues but from my understanding it is quite uncommon and it affected LG G4 phones manufactured from a range of dates.

anon(9681881)

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I owned an iPhone 6 for a year and a Samsung S6 for six months. About a month ago I upgraded to a G4. The G4 beats them both by a long margin. No case needed. Android is very simple to operate. You should love the experience. The photos from the G4 are out of this world.

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like your patience is going to pay off. :)

The G4 is a great phone and still one of the best out there, in my opinion. I've only had mine since December, but It's been running perfectly with no issues. There were some minor things that annoyed, or disappointed, me about the phone when I first began using it, but I honestly can't remember what they were now.

If you've been using a Z10, Android should come easily to you. I moved from Windows phone to the G4 and adapted pretty quickly.

Have fun. :)

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
The LG G4 is a steal for $200. All around it's a great phone! I really don't need anything higher end. Best of all the camera still compares favorably to the current flagship Android phones!

tphg

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm not LG fan before, but I totally agree with @tardus that G4's camera can compete with any current flagship android phones.
We can check photos taken at night with flagship phones on Flickr and find clearly that G4's photos gives more details when zooming in.
Please don't trust any web pages that performing evaluation of camera quality, but should doing evaluation by our own to find the best one.

electricrelish

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Today, I am sad to report that there is not a happy ending to this story. At least not yet. My LG G4 that was manufactured in December 2015 and finally experienced the dreaded bootloop problem.

I am really mad at LG because it seems like there are just too many people with this problem and they just decided to let the year warranties run out.

I want to say that I will never purchase a LG phone again but the problem is that I love my LG G4. I love the design. I bought several leather back covers and multiple batteries. I love being able to replace the battery and utilize my SD memory card.

I did not want to be another complaining LG owner. I don't want to be bitter. At the same time, I didn't even get a full year out of this phone. I am truly HEARTBROKEN. :(

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
If it was made in Dec 2015, isn't it still under warranty? I believe if it is a bootloop issue, they will fix it even after warranty expires. You may be without a phone for a week or so, but I think LG will replace or repair your phone.

evoshift11

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Since it's an officially acknowledged problem, LG should be able to fix your the boot loop issue. Unless you have physical and/or water damage to the phone, they should fix it, whether you are still within the 1 year warranty or not. Chatted with an online agent last week and was instructed to fill out a request at LG Request a Repair | LG U.S.A

electricrelish

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
The problem is that I purchased it used; so I have no receipt unless you think uploading a Swapa receipt will suffice. I guess if anyone ever got a phone as a gift and didn't request the receipt is screwed.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Today, I am sad to report that there is not a happy ending to this story. At least not yet. My LG G4 that was manufactured in December 2015 and finally experienced the dreaded bootloop problem.

I am really mad at LG because it seems like there are just too many people with this problem and they just decided to let the year warranties run out.

I want to say that I will never purchase a LG phone again but the problem is that I love my LG G4. I love the design. I bought several leather back covers and multiple batteries. I love being able to replace the battery and utilize my SD memory card.

I did not want to be another complaining LG owner. I don't want to be bitter. At the same time, I didn't even get a full year out of this phone. I am truly HEARTBROKEN. :(

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. As others have said, try to send your phone in for repair if it means that much to you! LG's online customer support is pretty good - they respond to you quite quickly - you can always shoot them an email or message, and see what they say. They will advise for you to send your phone in for repair. Do you have a back-up phone, or anything else you can use in the meantime?

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been lucky so far with my G4 but with all the boot loop problems I have a Note3 for a backup. Sad to have a backup. but if a cell phone is your only device for all your communications and 911, you need 24/365 reliability... nothing less

electricrelish

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm so sorry this has happened to you. As others have said, try to send your phone in for repair if it means that much to you! LG's online customer support is pretty good - they respond to you quite quickly - you can always shoot them an email or message, and see what they say. They will advise for you to send your phone in for repair. Do you have a back-up phone, or anything else you can use in the meantime?

Thanks for your response. I have my work BlackBerry phone but I can't install things like Uber on it but it's better than nothing.

electricrelish

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I started filling out the LG Repair form. There is a section where you must prove ownership my uploading a scan of your receipt. Should I should upload my Swappa receipt?