G4 pictures for Facebook

SailingLion

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I've had my phone for a week now and I'm amazed by the pictures it takes, but when I upload them to FB they seem to turn to crap.

I'm aware that FB's compression is utter crap, but I've never seen it mess up pictures quite as bad as it's doing now. I reckon the quality or size of the picture is just too high?

I wonder what other peoples experience is with this and how you go about keeping the best quality? I've read that saving the picture in software like Photoshop to be under 100kb will give u the best results?

Cheers

dannywalls76

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
You can go into App Settings on the Facebook app and switch on upload HD photos. That should improve the quality.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This is common, no matter how it's uploaded. I'm in a photography group on FB and the general consensus from all of them and pretty much every photography site I've seen suggests uploading at 2048 pixels on the long side (2048 X 1152 resolution if keeping the G4 aspect ratio), and/or upload as a PNG file. I use an app called Photo Editor, which has batch processing abilities to resize and convert to PNG's.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.iudesk.android.photo.editor&token=QzOo3Xz2

I also seem to remember reading something about the G4 using aRGB color space. Internet browsers use sRGB and will convert them upon upload. Without going into all the technical details, this can hurt image quality too. If you have an editor that can "save for web" or something similar, it wouldn't hurt to use that function. That will give you a better conversion.

SailingLion

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
First of all: LOL. I didn't know there was an upload HD photos setting in the FB app, which obviously was turned "off". Giant /facepalm to myself.

That should probably be the first fix.

Other than that I've also read that your pictures lose quality no matter what since FB's compression is utter ****. I'll take a look at that Photo Editor, thanks for that. I used to have a photography class back when I was in college, but I forgot alot about it, now that I've picked up this phone I'd love to learn some more about how it's best used for photography, the possibilities, the best ways to handle the pictures etc..

Cheers

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Any time an images gets resized (up or down) it also needs to be sharpened again.
When Facebook resizes your image, it does not do the needed sharpening, thus it looks poor.
The best thing to do is to manually resize the image to the size used by the website, and do the needed sharpening, so that the site does not do any processing of your image.

That said, Facebook is a terrible thing to do to pictures.

mrrobotanger

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Something I do is to upload through Instagram and then share it through Facebook. They go to Facebook uncompressed, looking exactly as they do on Instagram. But then you have to deal with all your friends complaint in about double posts.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam