Replacement for LG G4

123nat

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
My LG G4, after 8 months of really happy wonderful use, just died. Just like that. Lucky I get a refund from the seller.

I am now on the hunt for a new phone - What do former LG G4 users naturally progress to? the G5?

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I traded my G4 for the Note 7. I'm extremely happy with my decision. The G5 does nothing for me. The V20 is a legitimate interest, but this Note I must admit is an awesome phone. I don't miss any of the things I thought I'd miss.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I just decided to get the iPhone 6s Saturday after boot loop KO'd my VS986. From now on, I'm playing it real safe with my mobile device. It's possible I'll go back to Android one day. LG won't be the brand, though. But loving the refinement and snappy response of iOS.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I've got a G4 and personally I wouldn't go for the G5. I'd go for the S7 or a Nexus device. I'm thinking I want my next device to run stock Android hence the Nexus choice.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm still on the G4 (so far, so good with this reverb roulette exchange), but have started considering my next one. If it conks out soon, I think I may move to the V10. I'm interested in the V20 and may move to it later when prices start coming down and my current phone starts wearing down with age.

Anything that has removable battery, SD card, IR Blaster and non-AMOLED screen (though the Note 7 screen color is getting close to satisfactory with me) will get my interest. This basically limits me to LG phones, which is seemingly a reliability risk I'll have to take. Thankfully Verizon has a nice extended warranty plan that is cheap and helps alleviate some of that headache.

123nat

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I cant get lg v10 in this country.

Should I consider lg g5? does it have same risk of dying like my lg g4?

I am feeling really lost onto what my next phone should be....

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Even though my G4 has been trouble free to this point I'm replacing it with the honor 8.
The honor will be my main phone.

I'm somewhat worried about LG phones reliability now based on what I've been reading.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I cant get lg v10 in this country.

Should I consider lg g5? does it have same risk of dying like my lg g4?

I am feeling really lost onto what my next phone should be....
V20 is coming and it may be in your country... I'm in Canada and we're supposed to get the v20 though we didn't get the v10

enots27

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I can't see lg allowing a fault like the g4 has slipping through QC again. They need to make sure they get customer confidence back

nik19605

Banned
Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
The sad part is they already have, the V10 and the G5 are having the same problems. Look it up on Google. My advice to anyone, and I did have a G4, the removable battery is NOT worth all this grief and aggravation. I went with a Galaxy S7 and I could not be happier, and it has the SD card slot.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The sad part is they already have, the V10 and the G5 are having the same problems. Look it up on Google. My advice to anyone, and I did have a G4, the removable battery is NOT worth all this grief and aggravation. I went with a Galaxy S7 and I could not be happier, and it has the SD card slot.
I've had the opposite experience. I tried the M8 and it has issues with the USB ports going bad. Not as wide spread as the G4 boot loop, but common enough. My first one was replaced under warranty. The second I tried having repaired locally with no luck. What does this have to do with batteries?

If it was removable, I could have bought a charging cradle and spare couple of batteries for relatively cheap and keep using the phone a good while longer instead of being forced into an entirely different model. As it was, it became a fancy paperweight. So it's my opinion that non-removable batteries can be a problem for reasons other than the lifespan/capacity.

To each their own. The way I see it with smartphones these days is there's no one perfect phone that's also very durable. I think they're all becoming more fragile in one way or another. So for me it just boils down to specs more than durability, because I no longer expect any phone I'd get to be truly durable. The only exception being the various mil-spec phones designed to be durable, but those have mediocre performance at a flagship price.

Pick your poison, I suppose.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Mooncatt....you pretty much summed it up for today's standard of phones. My only addition is that having 1 or 2 back up phones is your saving grace to get through problems and make it to the next possible purchase. Since I buy phones about 6 months to a year after release...I save a ton of $ and mental stress buying a expensive phone or buying on contract/monthly finance.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Mooncatt....you pretty much summed it up for today's standard of phones. My only addition is that having 1 or 2 back up phones is your saving grace to get through problems and make it to the next possible purchase. Since I buy phones about 6 months to a year after release...I save a ton of $ and mental stress buying a expensive phone or buying on contract/monthly finance.
I agree. I have a "emergency" line (I.e. For if my kids go on a trip with others) and can swap around if needed. I also still have my Droid Bionic. It's big time laggy now with current programming, but it was a flagship that was both top performing and built like a tank.

enots27

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
To be honest the way budget smartphones perform e.g Huawei p9 lite and the alcatel idol 3\4 is it really worth going for an extremely high prices flagship phone